Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 The War on Wifi
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:22 pm   Post subject: The War on Wifi

As many of you (and sadly most of the world now) know Lakehead university has banned the use of wireless networking on it's campus. As i blive many of you are reansable and logical peoleop i think you understand the crazyness of this policy and why it is wrong, so i will just post about a recent win for the wifi side and some hisotry behind it.

Ever since i have hured about the wifi ban on campus i have been capmining agsit it and even tryed to start serveral motions to stop it, including wireting up documentation on how wifi could be implemented on LUSU (student union) space as it is not lakehead space but it is on the campus. Unfrontly during my time on the bord of directors with LUSU this idea was shut down by the admitrastation with out any reason given (witch is odd since they have no power over LUSU space). Since then i left the bord due to having alot of other things to deal with and fights that are more worth fighting (this was a year ago). Recnelty however a new LUSU excutive was elected that is geting alot of things done and kicking alot of ass.

It seems this new exctive mangened to get Wifi in to the outpost (a capmus restorn/bar/night club). I just saw the sings today porclaming "FREE WIFI ZONE ENTER WITH CAUTION" that also had a biozhard symbol on the doors. I am not shure how they mangend to get this past the uni admin, however i am very excitved about it. Very litte infromation has been acconed about this wifi zone so far but i expect (hope at least) to see somthing about it in the student newspaper this week.

I will post more info has it happens (sadly i am out of the LUSU loop now so i don't have any inside info Sad ) but it looks like lakehead might not be wifi free any more Very Happy
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:01 pm   Post subject: RE:The War on Wifi

You should take a picture if you can.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:16 pm   Post subject: RE:The War on Wifi

I will try, my cell phone cam is crap but i maybe able to get jess's and take a pic.

I am prity shure LUSU put up the sings as a joke/trying to promote the new wifi.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:43 pm   Post subject: RE:The War on Wifi

Update: The student news paper this week has a editorial from the exctive talking about the new wifi in the outpost as well as a comic featuring fred gilbert (the persident of the university and the guy behind the wifi ban) with a metal striner on his head adertsing wifi protive helments. I will scan thess and post when i can

Also i got a crapy pic from my cell phone of the sing.

So far the news seems to be that the LUSU summer board decied to just go ahead and install the wifi with out the aproval of the university. This could lead to somthing intresting if gilber ever figgers it out.

I also plan to do some test to see how far the wifi gets out side of the outpost and will update.
Nick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:52 pm   Post subject: RE:The War on Wifi

hopefully the ban gets drop.... a ban on wifi is just rediculious
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:45 pm   Post subject: Re: The War on Wifi

I am a bit behind in updating this topic but here is a pic of the sign:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Above the word "CAUTION" is "proceed with" but it is hard to make out.[/img]
Clayton

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:07 am   Post subject: RE:The War on Wifi

Hey, you can almost make Dan out in that picture Razz
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:00 am   Post subject: RE:The War on Wifi

A select few of us have spotted Dan in the wild realm of the real life. For other, he remains a mythical creature.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:58 am   Post subject: Re: RE:The War on Wifi

Clayton @ 24th September 2007, 7:07 am wrote:
Hey, you can almost make Dan out in that picture Razz

Pff, you can't even make out my lazer canon eye or my cyborg atachments.
Nick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:16 pm   Post subject: RE:The War on Wifi

lmfao i think i see your retractable claw... but im not sure may just be your implanted rail arm gun
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:36 pm   Post subject: RE:The War on Wifi

Update: This is an artical from this weeks student news paper.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Nick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:19 pm   Post subject: RE:The War on Wifi

they posted health as a reason?? may i ask what wifi does to your health? anways congrates on the one wifi location hopefully that'll expand into may locations where wifi is avalible
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:40 pm   Post subject: Re: The War on Wifi

[rant]
Dr. Gilbert has never given a very clear stament of what excatly wifi dose to you. He seems to jump btween "effect yong minds" and "give cancer", he also side somthing about students gathering around wifi with there nintendos (yes he used an s on nintendo).

In his latest stament to the university he listed http://www.bioinitiative.org/report/index.htm as his reasoning. Bioinitiative is a very odd group, it dose not seem to be talked about any where on the web that i can find but in the stament he made. This group clamims to be " A Rationale for a Biologically-based Public Exposure Standard for Electromagnetic Fields (ELF and RF)"

This group seems to constrain mostly on power lines and cell phones witch are much more powerfull then wifi, and also dose not say to ban them but to change the exposre standards.

Some of the "edvidence" this group claims to report on says that EMF (sigh this is such a joke if you know how much EMF covers) causes fun things like:

• Genotoxic Effects (RFR and ELF DNA Damage)
  • Stress
  • Effects on Immune Function
  • Effects on Neurology and Behavior
  • Brain Tumors
  • Acoustic Neuromas
  • Childhood Cancers (Leukemia)
  • Melatonin Production
  • Alzheimer?s Disease
  • Breast Cancer
  • Breast Cancer Promotion
  • Disruption by the Modulating Signal

What makes thess claims even more fun is it dose not seem this group, nor there report aucatly has as much evidence as they say. There report just seems to be alot of "what ifs" and referces to studys that for the most part are out of date, not trying to study this or are not modeling normal reality (like expsoning cells to millions times more EM energy then you could get from cell phones or wifi).

Basiclky it is just a collection of any report out there that could be in any way seen as looking bad for a tehcnogly that uses EMFs in any way. The crazyness of this is that everything uses EMF incudling the sun. EMF includes everything from xrays, to light to radio waves to microwaves (and in btween). If we are to use the arugment that one ferquencey of EM waves are bad, like power lines then another form is like wifi then we most also asome by this logic that all EM waves are bad. This group seems to do a better job at seeing this then gilbert, if you read threw the report you will notice that wifi is not mentioned at all (at least form what i can tell), yet gilbert is using this falicly of if one power level/ferqceny bad all are. It whould be like saying that becues high power x-rays can kill you that we should not use x-rays at any power level or that becues x-rays can be bad that light is.

[/rant]
Mazer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:19 pm   Post subject: RE:The War on Wifi

"Is wireless making its way onto the" ... what?! I must know!
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:29 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:The War on Wifi

Mazer @ 25th September 2007, 8:19 pm wrote:
"Is wireless making its way onto the" ... what?! I must know!

Tony noticed that right away too, i did not cut off any of the artical it is a mess up in the auctal paper. My bet is "campus".
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 16 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: