Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Why's Poignant Guide to Ruby[For Ruby Newbies]
Index -> Programming, Ruby -> Ruby Tutorials
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
haskell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:11 am   Post subject: Why's Poignant Guide to Ruby[For Ruby Newbies]

This is a gem of a resource. Very entertaining,

http://poignantguide.net/ruby/
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rdrake

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:51 am   Post subject: RE:Why\'s Poignant Guide to Ruby[For Ruby Newbies]

One of the funniest ways to learn a language Smile.
haskell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:37 pm   Post subject: RE:Why\'s Poignant Guide to Ruby[For Ruby Newbies]

Thats why its a successful piece of material. I would strongly recommend using it at the Grade School level, and I would even go so far as to recommend it to CompSci Majors and just Computer people everywhere... It really gets rid of the flaws of the drawn out books of olde, and really takes the really good aspects of the O'Reilly and Pragmatic books we all know and love and pushes them to inspire.
CodeMonkey2000

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:43 pm   Post subject: RE:Why\'s Poignant Guide to Ruby[For Ruby Newbies]

Hahaha, I might actually switch to Ruby.
PaulButler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:09 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Why\'s Poignant Guide to Ruby[For Ruby Newbies]

CodeMonkey2000 @ Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:43 pm wrote:
Hahaha, I might actually switch to Ruby.

Why not learn both?
rizzix

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:57 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Why\'s Poignant Guide to Ruby[For Ruby Newbies]

haskell @ Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:37 pm wrote:
It really gets rid of the flaws of the drawn out books of olde, and really takes the really good aspects of the O'Reilly and Pragmatic books we all know and love and pushes them to inspire.

Meh, not all of us are interested in comic/story books.
haskell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:03 pm   Post subject: Re: Why's Poignant Guide to Ruby[For Ruby Newbies]

Its not that which is the most appealing. It is the light hearted humour that allows one to continue to breeze through it.

Of course, I still have plenty of the other books. From AI and Cs Theory to Assembly books.

Its just nice to see something different.
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:55 pm   Post subject: RE:Why\'s Poignant Guide to Ruby[For Ruby Newbies]

This is why I try to keep my writing light-hearted.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
MrHippo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:13 pm   Post subject: RE:Why\'s Poignant Guide to Ruby[For Ruby Newbies]

I like it Smile Wonder if he drew the foxes himself...

Course I'll have to delve deeper into it to learn more advanced stuff and probably gonna have to challenge myself to apply the problems, but that's part of the fun I suppose hehe..

-MrHippo
apomb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:00 am   Post subject: Re: Why's Poignant Guide to Ruby[For Ruby Newbies]

I'm quite enjoying it... i waded in ruby before, but never really was serious about it. But this summer, im planning on applying to the Lottery Corp. HQ in my home town, and at my last interview they were pretty interested in Ruby, so im going to try and wow them with some knowledge of It.
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:22 pm   Post subject: RE:Why\'s Poignant Guide to Ruby[For Ruby Newbies]

Understand blocks. Understand metaprogramming to at least some extent.
apomb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:15 pm   Post subject: Re: Why's Poignant Guide to Ruby[For Ruby Newbies]

will do, wtd, thanks!
michaelp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:24 pm   Post subject: RE:Why\'s Poignant Guide to Ruby[For Ruby Newbies]

This is a fun guide, good way to learn a language. Smile
andang

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:48 pm   Post subject: Re: Why's Poignant Guide to Ruby[For Ruby Newbies]

what an effort to write the guide book..
   Index -> Programming, Ruby -> Ruby Tutorials
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 14 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: