Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Computer Science vs. Software engineering
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Cinjection

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:31 pm   Post subject: Computer Science vs. Software engineering

Hey guys,

I'm a grade 12 living in Toronto hoping to get into Waterloo next year in some program that will lead me into software design. I've noticed that Waterloo has two such programs: Software engineering and Computer Science. I know a lot of you guys are currently enrolled in Waterloo, so I was wondering if you guys could tell me the differences between these two programs. Thanks.

Also. I was wondering how I should stand academically. Last year (Grade 11) my overall average was 86%. I wrote the Junior level CCC contest and I got a certificate of distinction for being in the top 25%. I also came in first in the OBEA provincial programming contest. I was wondering if this is enough to get me into Waterloo.

Thanks for your time.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rdrake

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:25 pm   Post subject: RE:Computer Science vs. Software engineering

Tony summarized the differences quite well in this blog post. Not being from Waterloo, I cannot tell you exactly what the differences are.

As for the average, I had one a bit lower than that and got accepted into computer science at Waterloo. You should be fine.

Oh, Waterloo lets you fill out an extra form when you apply called the AIF (Academic Information Form... I believe) where you specify anything extra about yourself besides grades. Any clubs you're involved in, volunteer work you're doing/have done, projects you're working on, etc.. I highly recommend filling this form out as it will help your application greatly.
Cinjection

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:31 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Computer Science vs. Software engineering

rdrake @ Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:25 pm wrote:
Tony summarized the differences quite well in this blog post. Not being from Waterloo, I cannot tell you exactly what the differences are.
I highly recommend filling this form out as it will help your application greatly.

Thanks for the information and tip.
Clayton

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:55 pm   Post subject: RE:Computer Science vs. Software engineering

rdrake wrote:
... AIF (Academic Information Form... I believe)...

doesn't the "A" stand for Additional? Either way, participating in DWITE, the Senior CCC competition, and other similiar things will go a long way to help. Oh, and Euclid wouldn't hurt either Wink
rdrake

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:16 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Computer Science vs. Software engineering

Clayton @ Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:55 pm wrote:
rdrake wrote:
... AIF (Academic Information Form... I believe)...

doesn't the "A" stand for Additional?
Uh... something like that, yes.

I myself am in computer science and enjoying it quite a bit. If you like math you'll like computer science.
Cinjection

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:21 pm   Post subject: Re: Computer Science vs. Software engineering

After reading that blog, I think that I'm going to get into Computer Science. Hope I get in Smile.

I've done some research on the computer science program and I got a figure of about $11,000 per year. Can anyone confirm that this is accurate?
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:24 pm   Post subject: RE:Computer Science vs. Software engineering

Wow, that's a lot.
rdrake

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:28 pm   Post subject: Re: Computer Science vs. Software engineering

Cinjection @ Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:21 pm wrote:
After reading that blog, I think that I'm going to get into Computer Science. Hope I get in Smile.

I've done some research on the computer science program and I got a figure of about $11,000 per year. Can anyone confirm that this is accurate?
Going into co-op for any program at Waterloo will cost a great deal more in tuition. However, I've heard you can make most (if not all) of that money back through your co-op job.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:14 am   Post subject: Re: Computer Science vs. Software engineering

rdrake @ Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:28 pm wrote:
Going into co-op for any program at Waterloo will cost a great deal more in tuition.

Not really a "great deal". It's along the lines of $500/term, but if the University helps you find a job a week sooner - you break even! It's quite a good network to use, if you don't have previous profession experience.

Otherwise the tuition itself is in the $4000/term range. With other expenses (books, food, residence) you can be looking at $11,000 / year. Though I make just over that on work terms, so it's not that bad.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
StealthArcher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:38 pm   Post subject: Re: Computer Science vs. Software engineering

Hmm, an 86% and he'll be fine, guess I'm set.

Lol 96 and ive never done this before, not even a year ago I started, I think I had the biggest break of beginners luck in the world.

But im going out to U of A so, i think their entrance req. are a little higher....
apomb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:26 pm   Post subject: Re: Computer Science vs. Software engineering

U of A?
Clayton

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:38 pm   Post subject: RE:Computer Science vs. Software engineering

Atlanta perhaps?
StealthArcher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:21 am   Post subject: Re: Computer Science vs. Software engineering

...Alberta......

Ah, seems many people dont recognize it. Oh well.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 13 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: