Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Clayton

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:03 pm   Post subject: Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca

This is it! This is your chance to help improve CompSci.ca. Simply post things and ideas that you would like to see in CompSci.ca. Think of things that would keep you coming back to the site. Go nuts! While some ideas will not be implemented, we would love to hear your ideas. Please keep your replies to this serious. Any ludicrous ideas/comments will be deleted immediately, and you will be penalized bits. The Staff are doing this for you.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:11 pm   Post subject: RE:Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca

I just wont to add that theses ideas do not have to be just new features to the site but can also be policy ideas and changes to how the site is run.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:43 pm   Post subject: RE:Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca

Developer APIs to interface with the site (posting/checking bits etc..) in various languages. Smile
Geostigma

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:46 pm   Post subject: RE:Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca

The site needs a better clean but modern backround that isn't jet black. Something like a nice white with some kind of faint design on it
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:23 pm   Post subject: RE:Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca

The background is not jet black by default, you most have changed you styles setting. The default style is subGrey, you can change what style you see in your profile or in the style box at the bottom of the page.

Edit: i just checked all the styles and none of them have a black back ground, i am very confused right now Confused
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
rdrake

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:52 pm   Post subject: RE:Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca

I believe he's suggesting that we need a new style that has something like, but not quite, a jet black background.
Amailer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:02 am   Post subject: RE:Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca

But he said
Quote:
Something like a nice white with some kind of faint design on it

White isn't quiet black now is it?

Anyhow, first lets do DWITES layout, then compscis (which will be huge considering the amount of template files)
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:48 am   Post subject: RE:Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca

In theroy we could change the layout quite a bit for comosci.ca by only chaining the css file. That is how the style option works, it just changes what css files are loaded.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:48 am   Post subject: RE:Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca

Actually there are no CSS files. It's all generated inline, every time. Which is not only horrible for bandwidth, but slows down the generation and loading of the pages. I strongly dislike phpbb.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:21 pm   Post subject: RE:Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca

Maybe you missunderstud me, the site dose place the css in line however styles are not hardcoed. There are style sheets that are imported when making a new style for the site and then are rendered inline when serving the page.

To make a new style you just need to make a style sheet. This is how i made the hello kitty team in v2 and v3 has even better support for this so you don' need to touch the template files at all.

If you do not blive me go to the admin cp, styles, Create New and you can see where you can input a style sheet or manaly input the values.

It is imporent to remember that although this site looks and works very much like phpbb on the front end a masive amount of code has been changed on the back end. There are very few parts that have no been modifed.

V3 != plain phpbb install

Edit: I just added 3 new styles, you may like them.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:36 pm   Post subject: RE:Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca

I'm just saying that it's a horrible implementation.

Rendering + loading the same inline stylesheet on every page vs. caching a static resource once for as long as the browser keeps it... Hmm...
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:45 pm   Post subject: RE:Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca

Well i did not make that part :p. We could look in to changing it in the futter. however i think there are worse things that need more attention.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:57 pm   Post subject: RE:Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca

Inline CSS + JS, that could easily be moved to external files and cached, make up for 12 KB of this 18 KB page.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:58 pm   Post subject: RE:Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca

You do have ftp access......

Edit: Tho making a dynaiclky generated css template file should be intresting.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:01 pm   Post subject: RE:Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca

Alright, I'll get this fixed some time Wink
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 5  [ 63 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: