Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Post-Secondary Computer Studies
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Superskull85

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:21 pm   Post subject: Post-Secondary Computer Studies

OK first of all what I want to do in the future is help create/create operating systems or programs for companies such as Sony or Microsoft. I also want to keep my options open so that if I can't get a job doing this I can do something else. I am also interested in creating game engines, or software for games such as DBZ and or Soul Calibur. I have taken two Computer Science courses in the past (grade 10 and grade 11), I am currently taking a Communications Technology course this semester and another next semester (grade 11 and then grade 12). I am also taking a Advanced Functions math course, and I will be taking a grade 12 Computer Science and grade 12 Calculus course next semester as well. All my grade 11 and 12 courses have either been a College/University (M) or University (U) level course.

Anyways, I have been looking at going to York University in Toronto because:
    -->It has a variety of computer courses I can pick from. They have courses in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Information Technology.
    -->They also have music courses. I don't know if I can take both computer and music courses, but if I can it could satisfy both of my interests.
    -->It is close to where I live (Orillia) so I could come home on weekends and/or holidays easily.
The problem is that I don't know exactly what to take. If you have any suggestions, could you please share them?

P.S. Also I'm not planning on going to University next year because, I want to take other courses and I don't have the money right now.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Euphoracle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:53 pm   Post subject: RE:Post-Secondary Computer Studies

Tony has an excellent article on the different major computer science degrees located here. There's also another one, which relates to why you shouldn't take the standard video game degrees located here.

In a nuttshell, computer science is a lot more hand-on in terms of code. Computer Engineering is a more lower-level course in terms of programming, because you work at the hardware-software interface level. Information Technology isn't really 'programming' if I recall correctly. The communication technology course is more video editing and visual production. Most computer science related courses also like to see 4U Chemistry and Physics, I find.

If you take a look around General Programming, you'll see that there are a few threads about this. Reading some of the opinions in those will greatly help you in your pursuit of information.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:08 pm   Post subject: RE:Post-Secondary Computer Studies

I think I might have been quoting you in the sound of programming: computer scientists as composers

Some further suggestions that I would have:
- look into a more relaxed major (CS should be fine) that will allow you enough free space to pursue other courses of interest.
- don't limit your options geographically. If you could go home on weekend from York, you could also make it there from UofT, Guelph, even Waterloo, and everything in between.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
haskell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:42 pm   Post subject: RE:Post-Secondary Computer Studies

Don't limit yourself to just CS, check out CE as well.

Also, I'd recommend reading the IEEE Computer Society Curriculum guides for both Computer Engineering and Computer Science. Maybe you'd also like to see Software Engineering as well?

Just for your information, the IEEECS Curriculum guides give the core objectives and such for the above mentioned programs. I have looked through many post-secondary institutions, and they all use that core. So, if you like the core, you only need to worry about the electives you choose(which are under your control Very Happy).
jamonathin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:18 am   Post subject: Re: Post-Secondary Computer Studies

One thing to add about your courses you're taking - are you taking linear algebra? That was a requirement for myself and i had it first year University (windsor). Also, isn't advanced functions part of calculus, i.e. same course? I was pretty shure it was for me, unless they changed it already (i heard they were thinking of it, tho its been 2 years).

I also recommend visiting GameDev Game Jobs for anyone interested in possibly making video games in the future (i do). It has a bunch of job listings but whats most important about it is you'll notice almost all the jobs require a B.Sc. in CompSci and 2+ years in the field. So chances are if those companies are looking for that, Sony or Microsoft will want that, and then some.

Just somethings to keep in mine Smile
richcash

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:18 pm   Post subject: Re: Post-Secondary Computer Studies

jamonathin wrote:
One thing to add about your courses you're taking - are you taking linear algebra? That was a requirement for myself and i had it first year University (windsor). Also, isn't advanced functions part of calculus, i.e. same course? I was pretty shure it was for me, unless they changed it already (i heard they were thinking of it, tho its been 2 years).

They have changed it starting this year for all schools. The grade 12 university math courses are now :
MHF4U - Advanced Functions
MCV4U - Calculus and Vectors
MDM4U - Data Management

Also, if you're really interested in games you may want to take physics. Realistic simulations in games rely on physics.
Superskull85

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:32 pm   Post subject: Re: Post-Secondary Computer Studies

I haven't actually applied for Post-Secondary school yet. In order to take Calculus in my school (most likely similar in most) I have to take a grade 12 Advanced Functions course. One of the topics that I know are in the course is logarithm's, which was barely covered in any grade 11 and below math or physics course.

If you mean "Have I took Linear Algebra in secondary school?" then no. To my knowledge my school doesn't offer such a course.

Tony-

Ever since I posted that I have been attracted more to computers then combining the two. If I can take both I probably will, but if I can't then I'd rather take computer courses.

Euphoracle-

Grade 12U Chemistry and Physics are two of the courses that I want to take next year. I forgot to mention that...

It looks like I would be have to take courses in Computer Science and Software Engineering/Computer Engineering as they would help me learn about both hardware and software which would probably be a must if I was going to help create OS's.

I have done quite a bit of reverse engineering, interfacing, editing and encrypting/decrypting PSP OS files in the past. I have created what PSP users call "homebrew" which let me interface with the PSP's eight drives and use them to complete a task. I have also decrypted many PSP files (mainly PRX and RCO files) that lets me edit the files in either binary code or Hex code. I have also been able to figure out detailed specifications of the PSP (other then the ones that Sony shows). Would something like this be what a Software Engineering/Computer Engineering course would cover?

Also is there any other school anyone could suggest for computer courses, other then York?

P.S. Thanks for all the help, it is greatly appreciated!
haskell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:45 pm   Post subject: RE:Post-Secondary Computer Studies

[deletia]

md says: Try and be less rabid.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
iluvchairs112

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:22 pm   Post subject: RE:Post-Secondary Computer Studies

There aren't linear algebra courses offered at regular secondary schools anymore, generally admissions for CS are functions, calculus, and of course English, which comp science courses recommended (all schools don't offer them so they can't be required) and for comp engineering they require functions, calculus, english, along with chemistry and physics (some universities require both, others just require one of them, usually your choice but physics would probably be the better choice of the two).
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:20 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Post-Secondary Computer Studies

haskell @ Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:45 pm wrote:
[what you said originally]

I know people can be stupid (seriously), but in their defence the default V3 theme (at least I *think* it was the default, I've since change mine) is pretty ass-tastic for differentiating links from regular text within posts.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: