Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Summer AI Challenge
Index -> Contests
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:31 pm   Post subject: Summer AI Challenge

this is better than "just make any game you want" cuz we have an objective and in the end we can actually have real tournaments and so forth.

I propose a challenge of snakes game. basically we have an NxN board, and we have some players at random starting locations. for each move you are given the position of the board, and you have to decide which way to go: North, East, South, West. then which ever direction you've chosen, that square will be occupied by you. you lose if you move into a square thats preoccupied (a wall, yourself, someone else).

now coordination, we have basically two choices: stdout or turing. stdout will mean like languages such as C++,Java,Pascal can be used. its hard to connect AI made for stdout with AI made in turing.

i think i better stick to turing cuz everyone here knows turing, and if you know C++ you can always convert it to turing. i'll write up the engine when exams are over. it'll be really fun, we did this in stage 2. if you *really* want to use C++ stick a message here.

i'll run a competition at end of august or something. the basic format is make a class (if you havent made one before, dont worry, i'll write an example up and all you gotta do is modify the main procedure)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It's a 1:1 move ratio right?
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:35 am   Post subject: (No subject)

yes.
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:40 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Alright, just a couple more questions. First of all, are there walls anywhere or just on the borders? And secondly, how do we do this so that it allows for the other player to move?
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

my original plan was to have walls on the sides only but now i changed my mind. it would be *VERY* interesting to have some walls in the middle of the board (i can code up a map editor also hehe), or even randomly generated walls (maybe symmetrical, maybe asymmetrical)!!

and as to the move sequences, the players will be named in some (maybe random) order such that player 1 gets to move first, then player 2 and so on. or maybe i'll decide simutaneous moves, but then its hard to predict if two players will get crashed into each other. but this is always an option
Catalyst

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

sounds very interesting im in for sure
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i'll have sample codes up very soon. in fact i am working on them right now.
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah, I wanted to have some AI challange. It would be really cool to host an AI turnament. I'm going to be in too. Though it would be nice if more people participated.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well, we'll see how this one turns out. a simple AI shouldnt even take long to code. 2 days is almost sufficient, but this engine is going to take me a while, depending on if i am busy. i say probably before exams it will be done so you guys can test your AIs.

you cant stop me from using C++ type arrays, comments and semicolons. so bite me

here is a sample AI code that you can use. read the instructions inside

code:

look at later posts for updated code

if you have any questions/comment/concerns feel free to let me know
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

btw i added a function AIName in the code above so I could possibly use that for a rating system.
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You'd have to be careful about randomly placed walls...wouldn't be too fair if somebody started surrounded. Another cool idea would be to run the ai's through our little maze generator Wink
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wouldn't be much of a point then... You'd have to specify thing kind of thing in mission statment (cant expect open field AI to run through maze) and then each program just finds the longest path and follows it...
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i am not talking about a lot of walls, just a few. if they are randomly generated, they could be randomly placed blocks. or else they will be symmetrical about the center of the field so no one gets an advantage
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think for it to be completely fair, starting positions should be random, but symetrical, and walls should also be symetrical along the same axis.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

even when there is no walls in the middle of the game, you still cant guarentee it to be "fair" maybe some algorithms like to be closer with an opponent and some algorithms would be better off starting away from others. some maybe be better closer ot the walls some may like the center more. so its hard to be "fair" and only random is really fair.
   Index -> Contests
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 4  [ 55 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: