Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Psychological Jujitsu
Index -> Contests
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
kmd-10

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:23 pm   Post subject: Psychological Jujitsu

i would like to hold an AI programming competition for a game called psychological jujitsu. here is how the game works.
there are two players. each player begins with 100 dollars. the object of the game is to obtain six "points". these are acquired by betting more of your money than your opponent on each turn.
here is an example game:

player 1: 100 dollars, 0 points
player 2: 100 dollars, 0 points

round 1

player 1 bets 11 dollars.
player 2 bets 0 dollars.

since player 1 bet more then player 2 did, player 1 gets a point.

player 1: 89 dollars, 1 point
player 2: 100 dollars, 0 points

round 2

player 1 bets 4 dollars.
player 2 bets 5 dollars.

whether you get a point or not, you lose the amount of money you bet.

player 2 gets a point.

player 1: 85 dollars, 1 point
player 2: 95 dollars, 1 point

so much for "example game": i'm not gonna finish this, as i'm sure you know how it goes by now.

if you see any possible problems hosting an AI competition using this game, post it here.
if you think it could work, post that too.
post whatever you want here, i suppose.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

what happens if there is a tie?

does the player with the most amout of points win?

what about if both player bet the same amount?
kmd-10

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

sorry, i'll finish the rules:

if both players bet the same amount, nobody gets a point.
if both players run out of money somehow, the player with the most amount of points wins. if they have the same amount of points, the game is a tie then.

of course, for any of these rules, if this ends up happening, we can change them. but i think it would be fun to see how this goes.
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

cool

one more thing....

how are you going to host this thing, Im assuming most of us will write with different languages, since obviously we like to stay away from some language as far away as possible (cough, cough, Turing). Or do you think we should all write with one language? So people don't get advantages out of different languages?

Post up on the specifications for the program.
kmd-10

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

you know, i actually thought about this.
we all say we want to get as far away from turing as possible, but i thought it would be fun to make it so that nobody can use anything but turing. i thought this might repel some people, but at the same time, everyone here knows it (or should .. "SWAT"), right? plus, there would be no unfair language advantages. of course, we could just make it any language is allowed. but then, for as much equality as possible, a turing exclusive contest would be ideal.
oh well, whatever suggestions you have, post em!
Amailer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

kmd-10 wrote:
you know, i actually thought about this.
we all say we want to get as far away from turing as possible, but i thought it would be fun to make it so that nobody can use anything but turing. i thought this might repel some people, but at the same time, everyone here knows it (or should .. "SWAT"), right? plus, there would be no unfair language advantages. of course, we could just make it any language is allowed. but then, for as much equality as possible, a turing exclusive contest would be ideal.
oh well, whatever suggestions you have, post em!

I disagree!
kmd-10

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ok, i often think of things after i make posts. it's kind of an annoying trait to have.
i basically have a couple ideas of how i would actually run this competition.
one way i could do it, is make my own, uh, "battle-template" (leave me alone, it's a stupid term, i know) where i would have two procedures for each player's turn, and i would put each player's submission in there (which would be a function, with 4 parameters [my score, my points, their score, their points] and returns their next wager). but then, i would see everyone's top-secret-psychological-jujitsu-code! though i don't think that would matter, unless people don't want me seeing their masterpiece.
though that would be the easier, i could also set it up in a way that would just use output to files, and if i were sent exe files, there would be no problem, and everyone's crazy psycho jujitsu AI will be kept private.
everyone should just know that i'll do either one.
kmd-10

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

you disagree!?!?
i don't understand -- you mean we should allow all languages? sure i'm up for that, if everyone wants.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:49 am   Post subject: (No subject)

well, once you come up with your algorithm (even if you just have a train of thoughts in your head, that's still an algorithm Razz) it shouldn't be hard to write it for any language ...
kmd-10

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yup, i essentially have the idea for it. i just want to know who would be interested, and if it would be worth me beginning the process.
RaPsCaLLioN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

If both players bet and tied would they lose the money that was bet?
kmd-10

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yup.
RaPsCaLLioN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Not a bad idea but creating an AI 'battle' for an odds-based game is kind of bland. Not really a good example of what some could do w/ AI.
kmd-10

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

it's not really odds. when you play it, there's a lot of, well, "psychology" as the title implies .. it's a lot of fun. when i play with friends, sometimes i'll bet a 14, and the other guy bets 0 .. huge waste of money. if you can make a psychologically analytic program, then you'll win. i don't know -- in my mind, it would be cool to see how people approached the game. maybe it'd work better if everyone had played the game first.
oh well. if this doesn't work, i'm not stopping. i'm GOING to hold a contest. Smile
RaPsCaLLioN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'll join if it's Turing.
   Index -> Contests
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 20 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: