Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 My RPG... not done but would like some input
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
PesticideUse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:13 pm   Post subject: My RPG... not done but would like some input

K i started this game halfway through my Gr 11 course and it still isnt done.
Heres a list of things id like to do or add:
-Finish Villages and houses and caves
-Balance out battles (currently all monsters have the same stats and attacks lol)
-Work on the inventory and interaction with chests and doors and stuff
-Add NPC's for tutorials and hints
-Save/Load
-Main Menu
-Cheats (maybe)
-Battle animations
-Just generally smooth out all the bugs and stuff

Any and all constructive comments are welcomed, please report any bugs or problems you had and if/when i finish ill upload it again Smile

Controls:
Arrow Keys to move
Space to open chests
and since im still working and testing the game
J will heal you
and B will cause a battle
in battle just use the numbers beside what you want to do, although items cannot be used in battle yet

the title of the game is a play on final fantasy because my teacher is a huge FF fan

Penultimate Phantasm.zip
 Description:
sorry its only in zip

Download
 Filename:  Penultimate Phantasm.zip
 Filesize:  7.52 MB
 Downloaded:  419 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:10 pm   Post subject: RE:My RPG... not done but would like some input

Wow, love the code art.

Great game, I don't often come across a decent RPG in turing, really good job.

+ bits
Insectoid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:49 am   Post subject: RE:My RPG... not done but would like some input

I have 4 issues:

-Movement in the castle is very choppy. Choose weather you want pixel-by-pixel movement or chunky move-20-pixels-at-a-time movement, right now there seems to be both.

-Use getch. When selecting an attack, using getch will allow you to not hit enter or show the number entered on the screen.

-Use strint. Right now your program will crash if you enter a letter where a number is needed. strint allows you to convert a string to an integer, so it won't crash.

-When attacking, you have to hit a number multiple times for all the attack options to show up. Make all the options show up at once.

Very nice graphics, overall a good game so far.
PesticideUse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i dont know why the movement would be choppy Confused the character should (theoretically) move 32 pixels, or one tile, at a time. i did this to make it easy to refresh the tile he was just on, ill review the code and see if i messed up anywhere.

wasnt really taught getch in class lol (guess my teacher wanst very good Wink ) ill look it up tonight and try to implement it

thank you for bringing up the strint thing i totally forgot about that Smile

and the push the button multiple times thing has happened to me before ill have to try and figure that one out... any ideas?
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:39 pm   Post subject: RE:My RPG... not done but would like some input

If you use getch, check to see if a char is pressed first. Ex:
code:

if hasch
    %whatever the getch code is, I forget
end if

Input.KeyDown is also another (but somewhat more complicated) method for character input.

Also use 'strintok' to make sure no illegal character is passed through for using the strint method.
apomb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:51 am   Post subject: RE:My RPG... not done but would like some input

I'm curious as to where all the pictures for the battle scenes came from... they're really nice, also the movement throughout the game (with exception to the castle) is nice and smooth, could use 8-point movement though.
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:07 pm   Post subject: RE:My RPG... not done but would like some input

Agreed, the movement was pretty good, the graphics too.
PesticideUse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:35 pm   Post subject: Re: My RPG... not done but would like some input

All of the pictures: tiles, battle background and characters came from www.toolkitzone.com ... if you want them you first have to download a program called tst extract( http://www.toolkitzone.com/files.php?search&ref ) and then download one of their tilesets or picture files(both from that site)

Unfortunately putting 8 point movement in at this point would be extremely hard and probably wouldn't work with the tile by tile movement that is in the game right now.

As for the castle movement i am absolutely clueless, nothing changes in the castle at all for movement i think it has something to do with the pattern on the floor and is merely an optical illusion but i dont know im still looking for the answer to that problem.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
gitoxa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:52 pm   Post subject: RE:My RPG... not done but would like some input

Look at your numpad. Imagine your character is the number five. 8 point movement is being able to move to any other number but 0.
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.
PesticideUse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:05 pm   Post subject: Re: My RPG... not done but would like some input

Ya i know how to use it and i admit my game could benefit from it... the problem is that each map in my game is divided into a grid and each part of the grid has a small picture attached to it and thats how the maps are made, so ever step you take the grid space you just left is redrawn to get rid of the old drawing of you, 8 point movement would add diagonal movement and id have to see where you moved and which/how many tiles to redraw Confused Sad... I'm thinking of doing a simpler adventure game and i will for sure include 8 point Smile

BTW i forgot some controls in the first bit, the Home button opens the menu, the arrows control the movement (might change to mouse) and space enters, currently only inventory works, when you open the inventory your items will be listed with a number beside them enter the number to equip them. Potions dont work yet.

Oh i don't know if anyone figured it out but once you beat the king the cave in the north opens up to a snow level and then once you beat a dragon and the king there a cave in the village opens to a desert level which is incomplete. I was planning on putting some NPC's to tell you that but thatll be awhile
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:42 pm   Post subject: RE:My RPG... not done but would like some input

Nice, I'll try to beat him and get there...
The_Bean

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:04 pm   Post subject: Re: My RPG... not done but would like some input

I got bored and love RPG's so I gave your menu a bit of an upgrade.
It's not the most graphicly pleasing, but I made custom buttons and a custom text field for it without changing your colour theme or window size.
Use it if you like.

The buttons can also be used for the battle menus.

Penultimate Phantasm.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Penultimate Phantasm.zip
 Filesize:  7.45 MB
 Downloaded:  365 Time(s)

PesticideUse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:37 pm   Post subject: Re: My RPG... not done but would like some input

Good job the bean Smile i think ill borrow that for the character selection i changed the fonts around Snap ITC doesnt really match the game Wink , but ive got buttons done for the battle already lol
lordroba

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:29 pm   Post subject: Re: My RPG... not done but would like some input

A good start. I love the little cut scene in the castle Very Happy
petree08

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:31 am   Post subject: RE:My RPG... not done but would like some input

hey, i looked at your code, nice stuff man.

I couldn't run it because i'm using an older version of turing at school (school wont let me get newer one) could you please post a compiled version of this? it would be much aprechiated
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 15 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: