Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 so how did you guys do on this years CCC?
Index -> Contests
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
zylum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:31 pm   Post subject: so how did you guys do on this years CCC?

just wondering how everyone did... i only finished the first 4 questions Sad

-zylum
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Asok

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The Senior this year seemed to have a lot more "confusing wording" than last year. Those Waterloo asshats! Mad
zylum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

so how did you do???
limited_skillz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i did the first four pretty easily, but i think somethings wrong with my fourth one (im a junior)

occasionaly i would get an odd character in my encoding message like "☼" or something

the last one was impossible, i started with an hour left.. asked 3 teachers, they couldnt help much, brought in a genius to do it, it took a while but they finally got it and explained it to me

its definately not right, but i put some code down

i dont think any gr. 11 could get that, they deserve to win if they could
zylum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

you're allowed to ask for help from ppl???

is the junior last one the spread sheet one???
nate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

For junior the first 3 were so simple, the 4th one took about 20min, and i by the time i understood the crappy wording of J5 there wasn't enough time left to actually do it.

And how can u get help from another person (isn't there sapposed to be no talkin?)
Mazer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Supposedly you aren't supposed to be talking, like an exam or a math contest, but some of the students were having little conversations about the contest while writing. Nothing like giving each other hints or anything, just stuff like "why the hell do we have to take input from the keyboard this year?!" or "yay, my recursion is working" or "wouldn't that suck if nobody made it to stage 2? We'd be so pissed off... well, not you, you've got your recursion to keep you happy."

But seriously, why did they switch to keyboard input only all of the sudden? I didn't even know about it until half way through the contest, were they expecting me to read the rules?
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

bah, senior was insane Confused I'm guessing they got new staff to make it cuz the contest has a compleatly different feel to it. And this year Juniors/Seniors had no questions incommon Confused

Anyways, I finished S1, S2 and S5. S4 I didnt even start (seemed too confusing from the beginning) and S3 was really buggy when I ran out of time Rolling Eyes

as for input - I was wondering out that too... and for S5 I said - screw it, I'm not retyping the damn maze map every time and just made it load from a datafile... if anyone complains - screw you. The contest was hard enough as it is
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Brightguy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:30 pm   Post subject: Re: so how did you guys do on this years CCC?

Well, this was my first year writing the contest (I didn't even know about it last year). All my solutions were written in Visual Basic.

Overall I enjoyed it and thought some of the questions were really challenging. I would have liked to finish all the questions, but unfortunately I ran out of time. (Most of my time was spent on the spreadsheet question.) I managed to finish S1, S2, and S3. Now I'm just hoping there aren't any bugs in them...

By the way, I thought there were supposed to be three middle problems common to both the junior and senior division? (On that sheet where you filled out your name it had the problems listed as J3S1, J4S2, J5S3.) Anyway, once I finished the first three seniors I thought "I don't have enough time to complete the final two senior problems (I had less than an hour remaining), but I could do the first two juniors and at least have a really good junior score." So I completed the first two juniors easily... but it turns out the problems don't overlap. So I did enter the senior division after all, but only with the first three problems done.

Question... If you just made a program that just outputs "0", would you still get points if a test case happened to have a 0 output? Very cheap...
TheZsterBunny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

This was my first CCC. I took the junior one this year. I'm wondering if they set the questions up in the order on purpose. I finished questions j1,j2,j3 in the first 15 minutes. I then took 2 hours on j4 and had no idea about j5. if anyone knows how to do it, please reply.

I tried using whatdotcolor, and it helped quite a bit Laughing , however I lacked the math background to do the question.

*sigh*

-bunny

-----

but seriously, none of the programs needed more than 40 lines of code.

I think i did j4 in 26 lines. I can't remember.

but j1 was pretty much this (this is not cut and paste, it is typed here, excuse errors please)

code:

var ino : int % input number
loop
put "Enter a number: "..
get ino
put "The Largest square you can make is ", floor (sqrt(ino)),"."
end loop

J5 used fractals.
Brightguy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:44 pm   Post subject: Re: so how did you guys do on this years CCC?

Mazer wrote:
But seriously, why did they switch to keyboard input only all of the sudden? I didn't even know about it until half way through the contest, were they expecting me to read the rules?

Huh... Did I read something wrong? It looked to me like most of the questions were expecting input from a data file. I thought only J1 and J2 wanted keyboard input (they had the title "Sample Session" instead of "Sample Input").

On the advice sheet I got, it says:
5. For each problem where input is required, the structure of the data file is explained in the description of the problem and a sample data file is printed on the problem sheet, together with the expected output.
Chimaera

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

so I guess it wasn't only me and my friends who felt stupid writing the questions, the questions were TOTALLY different from previous years.

damnit! I wish i knew how to do my sorting perfectly so I could get full marks on the s2 which was the yodeller one and s1 which was the 'fix' one Mad

I actually found S4 the easiest one of them all, I finished that one last and I didn't even bother with S5, it's too damn complicated to truncate the whole line of input and then slowly sort through it one by one and make sure that the whole thing is aligned to the right grids....I suppose it'd be much easier doing that one using a Visual language ie. VB but I'm not too familiar with it... Rolling Eyes

sigh....I just hope I scored fairly well letalone go onto stage 2....btw does Massey send people to stage 2 every year?
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lol azn_s finished the junior 1-4 in ten min, i swear, i sat beside him, then he had 2 hrs and 50min for j5 and he couldnt do it... should've just hard coded it with a million ifs
StrikerMagazine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Eh.. i wrote senior but probably didn't do very well. i did s1, s2, s3 (works mostly) and s4.. (uh..) i couldn't think of any other way to do s4 at the time except break it into cases. (i pretty much ran out of time doing the cases.. there's so many...) i was surprised by the keyboard input thing too. None of the practice sheets were like this... i ended up using a datafile and then changing it to keyboard later. i wonder if the poor person marking it has to type all that out (it must be marked some other way?)
the questions themselves this year seemed a different style from the ones in previous years (or maybe it's just me..) i did a good number of ?s from previous contests for practice but now that i think of it maybe it didn't help so much(..!)
.. i'm just so glad it's over (..!)
limited_skillz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i think i messed up on j4 to think about it

this is what i did

made an array of the alphabet 1..26
fed the letter in through ascii

made the key an array which matched up same letters with the alphabet array and put them according to i

i dont know how i did the part where it is suppose to be in columns, thats why i think i messed up
   Index -> Contests
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 6  [ 90 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: