Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 How much mark is needed for waterloo's computer engineering?
Index -> Student Life
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
kokok

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:21 pm   Post subject: How much mark is needed for waterloo's computer engineering?

well, hello. i was always watching is board.but today i have something realy important to ask.
the field im interested in is computer engineering of waterloo. I checked out with Info71 and it said i need atlease 80s to get into there..
but someother people say i only need like 70- 80 to get in but there is an exam after you get offered and you have to pass it.
so which one is actually right? if neither is right then what is right?
and im in gr 11 now, my physics mark is only low 70s and im taking 11eng, 12phy,11chem,11ICE right now. How hard do i have to study in order to be possible to get in to waterloo? BTW im dumb not so bright
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Naveg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:32 pm   Post subject: RE:How much mark is needed for waterloo\'s computer engineering?

Check waterloo's website (uwaterloo.ca) for a general idea. While its important to set goals for yourself, you should be putting in your best effort regardless of the mark you need.
PaulButler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:56 am   Post subject: RE:How much mark is needed for waterloo\'s computer engineering?

I have a friend who is planning to go to Waterloo, and he told me the other day that the average grade for compsci admissions was 94%. Someone from these boards who actually goes to Waterloo might be able to give you a better idea of how important grades are.

In my experience, High School marks are 10% intelligence and 90% effort.
Naveg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:36 pm   Post subject: RE:How much mark is needed for waterloo\'s computer engineering?

94% seems a tad high....waterloo's website says you'll need an average in the low 80s

http://findoutmore.uwaterloo.ca/programs/full_description.php?program=Computer%20Science
rdrake

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:37 pm   Post subject: RE:How much mark is needed for waterloo\'s computer engineering?

Having a 94% for admission into compsci is just crazy. I had an 83% average first term in grade 12 and got into honours co-op computer science at Waterloo.
kokok

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:40 pm   Post subject: RE:How much mark is needed for waterloo\'s computer engineering?

well, i guess is above 80%.
But i might be too dumb to get into a good university..but i will try to get a higher average mark like 85+ this semester..
klopyrev

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:47 am   Post subject: Re: How much mark is needed for waterloo's computer engineering?

Is it me or is getting into Waterloo's Computer Science just a tad too easy. I already got an acceptance letter only a couple weeks after I applied. So did my friend. Did anyone else who applied get accepted so quickly?
Null

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:05 am   Post subject: Re: RE:How much mark is needed for waterloo\'s computer engineering?

PaulButler @ Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:56 am wrote:

In my experience, High School marks are 10% intelligence and 90% effort.

Agree completely. I've been ranting about this forever. People are so quick to judge others based on their mark, where the only way to get good high school marks it to do exactly what the teacher says and take care of all the related details. It has very little to do with actual intelligence. There are many people with lower averages who are extremely capable people and as a result of the system, are not reaching their full potential.

I haven't done studies or anything, but I've come to this conclusion based on conversations with people and reflection.

Now, so everybody knows I'm not ranting because I'm jealous, I'm maintaining a 90% average.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Reality Check

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:58 pm   Post subject: Re: How much mark is needed for waterloo's computer engineering?

I somewhat agree with that statement. I mean, a guy may get 95 in a class and another might get 85 but it could have been that the 95 student simply went by the rules. I hate to say it but its true. This is most evident in English. I consider myself to be very good at English and writing in particular. I got 94 in gr.9, 95 in gr 10, and just last semester I got an 80. Yes big drop but its not like I suddenly got dumber or stopped trying. It was more of the style of teaching and marking. My teacher had this attitude (worst teacher ever) that unless its done her way its wrong.

The forces you to go by her opinion and gives constant reminders that she is the one marking our tests so we should watch what we say. For 2 assignments in the year I refused to go by her expectations and did it the way I wanted it to and she refused to mark them. She later re-considered and marked it with a maximum mark of 70. Let me explain, she gave us a story about war and about a guy who shot another guy. She told us to explain (in essay format) why he did the wrong thing by shooting. I disagreed and said that although its wrong to kill, his situation justified his actions. Of course it was personal opinion and I had all the proper essay format and techniques and she refused to mark it...
stde

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:26 pm   Post subject: Re: How much mark is needed for waterloo's computer engineering?

klopyrev @ Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:47 am wrote:
Is it me or is getting into Waterloo's Computer Science just a tad too easy. I already got an acceptance letter only a couple weeks after I applied. So did my friend. Did anyone else who applied get accepted so quickly?

whats ur average?
CodeMonkey2000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:53 pm   Post subject: RE:How much mark is needed for waterloo\'s computer engineering?

To get into university is it required that you take as many comp coursees a possible? Because I'm doing IB and Ib gives you no electives.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:04 pm   Post subject: RE:How much mark is needed for waterloo\'s computer engineering?

lets face it, not everyone here at waterloo is top notch.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:07 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:How much mark is needed for waterloo\'s computer engineering?

and university courses are 95% effort, 5% intelligence. but with A LOT OF effort
rdrake

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:12 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:How much mark is needed for waterloo\'s computer engineering?

spearmonkey2000 @ Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:53 pm wrote:
To get into university is it required that you take as many comp coursees a possible? Because I'm doing IB and Ib gives you no electives.
I did not take a computer course after grade 10, and I got into all the universities I applied to.
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:55 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:How much mark is needed for waterloo\'s computer engineering?

bugzpodder @ Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:04 pm wrote:
lets face it, not everyone here at waterloo is top notch.

Infact, most of them are duchebags
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 31 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: