Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Menu bars
Index -> Graphics and Design, Web Design -> (X)HTML Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
HazySmoke)345

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:15 pm   Post subject: Menu bars

You see this on many websites.

Take, for example, www.neopets.com. They have a side bar with all these buttons such as "explore", "games", etc, and you'll see this side bar on every single page that's within the domain of www.neopets.com.

If I want to make an extensive website, and if I want to have the same menu bar attached to every single webpage I make, how can I go about doing that?

It wouldn't be a good idea to use frames because this feature is not available on some browsers.
It wouldn't be a good idea to copy & paste because, if I want to change the menu bar, I'll have to make the same changes on every single page, which is tedious.

Is there a good way to achieve this?

(Just a side note: On the 2nd line of this post, why is the period after "www.neopets.com" part of the hyperlink? A bug, maybe?)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Amailer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:20 pm   Post subject: RE:Menu bars

Check out this artical:
http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creating/include.html

See if that helps you
rdrake

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:24 pm   Post subject: Re: Menu bars

HazySmoke)345 @ Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:15 pm wrote:
You see this on many websites.

Take, for example, www.neopets.com. They have a side bar with all these buttons such as "explore", "games", etc, and you'll see this side bar on every single page that's within the domain of www.neopets.com.

If I want to make an extensive website, and if I want to have the same menu bar attached to every single webpage I make, how can I go about doing that?

It wouldn't be a good idea to use frames because this feature is not available on some browsers.
It wouldn't be a good idea to copy & paste because, if I want to change the menu bar, I'll have to make the same changes on every single page, which is tedious.

Is there a good way to achieve this?
As you love along, many backend languages (ie. PHP and the like) will let you use includes. I always just put the sidebar and other components into external files then included them into my pages.

HazySmoke)345 @ Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:15 pm wrote:
(Just a side note: On the 2nd line of this post, why is the period after "www.neopets.com" part of the hyperlink? A bug, maybe?)
It could be due to the fact that you didn't use proper [url= ][ /url] tags... just a guess.
HazySmoke)345

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:21 am   Post subject: Re: Menu bars

Thanks, Amailer, I will try that when the SSI code when I have a chance. If it doesn't work, I'll create another thread Very Happy

No, rdrake, I didn't really use the url tags. The website was hyperlinked by default. Thanks for the suggestion, by the way Very Happy
   Index -> Graphics and Design, Web Design -> (X)HTML Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: