Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Scanning different lines
Index -> Programming, C -> C Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
jamonathin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:41 am   Post subject: Scanning different lines

I have a problem that requires me to read input from multiple lines. Problem is, i dont know how long each line is going to be.
For example, the line can be from 1-50 numbers long, and the number of columns is terminated by -1, where each number is seperated by a space.

So an sample input could be:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
4 5 6 7 8 9 0

or it could be:

2 3 4 5
4 5 6 7

So how do i know when the user hits enter, and moves on to the next line?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Monstrosity_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:49 pm   Post subject: Re: Scanning different lines

jamonathin @ Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:41 am wrote:

You get input. The input stream is buffered so you will not get anything until the user hits enter, then you get the line. You shouldn't be concerned about this since your are given an end of input delimiter. If you are asking for help on reading each number in until the delimiter is reached, I suggested you look over your input functions one more time.

HINT: new lines, tabs, spaces, etc are all white space.
jamonathin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:47 am   Post subject: Re: Scanning different lines

But the thing is I dont know how many white spaces the user will enter, because i'm supposed to be storing each row in a 2d array. See, i'm supposed to end up sorting the second, third ... n'th rows to look like the first row inputted. If the user doesn't tell me how long/(how many white spaces) the row will be, how am I supposed to find this out?

Basically how would you store:

1 2 3 4 5
5 1 2 3 4
5 4 1 2 3

In a 2d array? When thats all that is given from the user? (not knowing the row will be 5 numbers long)
Monstrosity_

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:40 pm   Post subject: Re: Scanning different lines

jamonathin wrote:

because i'm supposed to be storing each row in a 2d array. See, i'm supposed to end up sorting the second, third ... n'th rows to look like the first row inputted. If the user doesn't tell me how long/(how many white spaces) the row will be, how am I supposed to find this out?

Monstrosity_ wrote:

I suggested you look over your input functions one more time.

HINT: new lines, tabs, spaces, etc are all white space.

jamonathin wrote:

Basically how would you store

1 2 3 4 5
5 1 2 3 4
5 4 1 2 3

In a 2d array? When thats all that is given from the user? (not knowing the row will be 5 numbers long)

There's many ways.. you will need to decide if you want to set the upper limits (n,r) and have static memory for the array (array[n][r]) or dynamic memory that will grow as needed. You should stick with the former, then all you would need to do is read each value and store it as you go along from 0 to r-1. And also ensure no more then n lines are considered.
OneOffDriveByPoster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:19 am   Post subject: Re: Scanning different lines

jamonathin @ Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:41 am wrote:

There are many ways. Try using ungetc().
Monstrosity_

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:04 am   Post subject: Re: Scanning different lines

OneOffDriveByPoster @ Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:19 am wrote:

Mind elaborating? I don't understand how pushing a character back onto the stream would help here.
OneOffDriveByPoster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:19 am   Post subject: Re: Scanning different lines

OneOffDriveByPoster @ Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:19 am wrote:

Monstrosity_ @ Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:04 am wrote:
Mind elaborating? I don't understand how pushing a character back onto the stream would help here.

One character look-ahead for finding '\n'.
Monstrosity_

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:15 pm   Post subject: Re: Scanning different lines

OneOffDriveByPoster @ Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:19 pm wrote:

Monstrosity_ @ Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:04 am wrote:

Ok, I get looking for the new line but why would you want to push it back onto the stream? That just seems bass awkwards to me.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
OneOffDriveByPoster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:44 pm   Post subject: Re: Scanning different lines

Monstrosity_ @ Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:15 pm wrote:

Ok, I get looking for the new line but why would you want to push it back onto the stream? That just seems bass awkwards to me.

Not to push back the newline, but to push back a non-whitespace character if one is read.
md

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:54 pm   Post subject: RE:Scanning different lines

*sigh* tried reading an entire line (with say getline()); then parsing that line?

It's a ridiculously easy problem and I am surprised that it hasn't been solved yet.

psudo:

y = 0
do
        readline(&buffer)
        x = 0
        number == ""
        for i = 0 to length(buffer)
                if !whitespace(buffer[i])
                        concat(number, buffer[i])
                else
                        array[x++,y] = atoi(number)
                        number = ""
        y++
while !eof
Monstrosity_

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:31 pm   Post subject: Re: Scanning different lines

OneOffDriveByPoster @ Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:44 pm wrote:
Monstrosity_ @ Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:15 pm wrote:

Not to push back the newline, but to push back a non-whitespace character if one is read.

Doh! It was just me that was bass awkwards, I get ya now, thanks.

md wrote:

*sigh* tried reading an entire line (with say getline()); then parsing that line?

Reading the whole line is optional as OneOffDriveByPoster pointed out.

md wrote:

psudo:

y = 0
do
        readline(&buffer)
        x = 0
        number == ""
        for i = 0 to length(buffer)
                        concat(number, buffer[i])
                else
                        array[x++,y] = atoi(number)
                        number = ""
        y++
while !eof

You psudo code mixes up two different ideas. If you grab the whole line, your are no longer worried about white space since you know where the new line is. If you decide to read the values from the stream, then you need to check white space so that you don't skip right over the new line character (which is what my hint was getting at). Also your psudo code is just flawed in general if values > 9 are allowed.
md

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:16 pm   Post subject: RE:Scanning different lines

I think you'll find that my code does what it required; and it does it simply. Perhaps if you stopped to think about it...
Monstrosity_

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:49 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Scanning different lines

md @ Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:16 pm wrote:
I think you'll find that my code does what it required; and it does it simply. Perhaps if you stopped to think about it...

psudo:

/* first iteration */
y = 0
do
        readline(&buffer)  /* "12 13 14" */
        x = 0
        number = ""
        for i = 0 to length(buffer) /* i = 0; length(buffer)=8;  */
                        concat(number, buffer[i]) /* number = "12 13 14" */
                else
                        array[x++,y] = atoi(number) /* array[0][0] = 12 */
                        number = ""
        y++
while !eof

/* second iteration */
        for i = 0 to length(buffer) /* i=1 */
                        concat(number, buffer[i]) /* number = "2 13 14" */
                else
                        array[x++,y] = atoi(number) /* array[1][0] = 2 */
                        number = ""
        y++
while !eof

/* last iteration */
        for i = 0 to length(buffer) /* i=8 */
                        concat(number, buffer[i]) /* number = "" */
                else
                        array[x++,y] = atoi(number) /* array[6][0] = 0 */
                        number = ""
        y++

Given "12 13 14" your code should read in {12, 2, 13, 3, 14, 4, 0}? If I missed something feel free to correct me.
OneOffDriveByPoster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:57 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Scanning different lines

md @ Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:16 pm wrote:

Okay, yes, no leading or trailing whitespace and one space between each character. I don't like the buffer though. I guess anything else could be explained by it being pseudocode.
md

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:03 pm   Post subject: RE:Scanning different lines

Monstrosity_ I am not at all sure what yoru comments mean... but from what I gather you are wrong.

As I'm sure wtd has mentioned before being able to trace code is a key part of programming... so try again and I'll tell you if your closer.

[edit] to clarify contat takes a string and a character and adds teh character to the string. whitespace returns true if hte passed character is a whitespace character. Those seem to be the things that people don't understand...
   Index -> Programming, C -> C Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 20 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: