Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Ever Google Yourself?
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Craige

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:11 pm   Post subject: Ever Google Yourself?

Ever been really board and Google your name, or your alias? It's kind of fun to do.

I was sitting here thinking about the fact that I really could use an unique alias that could identify me everywhere I go. However, surprisingly enough, I'm almost always able to get my name There have been few occasions when I couldn't get it.

Anyway, the point of this topic is for you to go Google yourself, and laugh at your past. There's always something that comes up that you can look back on and blush. I Googled my name and was shocked at some of the stuff that came up; especially regarding the improvements in my linguistic skills over the years, but also with my general knowledge and ideas.

So go ahead: Google your self. Laugh at you faults.

Oh, and I guess I won't be looking for an alias to use. People know me by Craige, and it's more professional then anything else I could come up with.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I used to be on page 73 of the Google results for my name. Since then I think I've dropped even lower.

Interestingly enough I am at the top of the results for minor_deity, page 3 for cornflake, and non-existent for md. 3rd for nxor and all of nxor.org.

All in all I am pretty safe from anyone goggling my name and finding something embarrassing Wink
TokenHerbz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

md you looked threw 73 pages of google to find yourself?
md

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

TokenHerbz wrote:
md you looked threw 73 pages of google to find yourself?

Of course! I was bored, and really didn't have much more interesting to do.
Craige

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:23 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Oh wow. I start getting results on the fourth page for just "Craige", and I'm first page for "Craige Leeder", as well as "Craige PHP" (PHP being the language I use most, I figured it's a good search term). And those last two searches are all me until about the 7th page I believe, where it starts getting other matches.
Amailer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:22 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Results 1 - 10 of about 947 for Amailer. (0.09 seconds)

It used to be more! Most of it is about me :/
md

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:51 am   Post subject: (No subject)

See my problem is that my name is relatively common; and not only that but of the people I share my name with the rest of them seem to be leaders in various fields or otherwise quite famous.
MihaiG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:07 am   Post subject: (No subject)

hehe

http://www.google.ca/search?q=Mihai+Gheorghe&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

at one point the number one hit for me was the secret service

its moved down now

but heres the linkhttp://www.secretservice.gov/wanted_gheorghe.shtml

shhhh

dont tell them where i am Wink
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
TokenHerbz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:45 am   Post subject: (No subject)

LOL i typed my name in, and compsci came up...

growing sites, dope sites, other games i played online came up

HAHA, Thats halarious.
CodeMonkey2000

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i typed in my alias and only compsi came up. when i typed my real name i found no matches Sad
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

First match for my real name is me, the rest aren't.

Sadly, for "Gandalf" there's 7490000 other results, so it's hard to tell...

For a few of my older nicks I get 50+ results that are all, or just about all me.

Neither of my emails get anymore hits, fortunately.

And that's about it. Overall, nothing too surprising. Wink
Clayton

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hehe.. on my alias (my old one [SuperFreak82 for anyone who doesn't know])
3rd down is a link to the Turing Walkthrough (Cervantes still hasn't changed it Wink)

on my current alias 4th down is a CIA link Surprised
and 7 links down is a link to CompSci, the others seem to be about some random myspace guy and a fine arts person Rolling Eyes

finally, my real name (Clayton Shier) spawned a first result from FreeRange Code, everything else was from a bunch of other random stuff, interesting really.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:14 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah if you have a relatively common handle and a relatively common name, then google would have nothing about you (or that it is so burried in its not worth looking XD).
Craige

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

bugzpodder wrote:
Yeah if you have a relatively common handle and a relatively common name, then google would have nothing about you (or that it is so burried in its not worth looking XD).

That's why I'm not going to choose an alias. If it's not unique, and doesn't fit my personality, then I don't want it. Those kind of aliases are hard to find. My name is more unique online, expecually in the programming realm, then anything else I could come up with.
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Craige wrote:
PHP being the language I use most, I figured it's a good search term

Don't worry. We can help you with that. The first and most important step is admitting that you have a problem. Wink
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 37 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: