Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 utter vexation.
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
syntax_error

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:42 pm   Post subject: utter vexation.

read
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:36 pm   Post subject: RE:utter vexation.

And this is why the *IAA need to die a horrible horrible death - and why politicians need to be directly responsible for their actions.

It would help if the conservatives were also voted out in the next few days. Seems the NDP might be willing to stand up for Canadians too.
syntax_error

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:22 pm   Post subject: RE:utter vexation.

but I do not understand how they will undertake this like scan my 100s of GB of data before I travel?
md

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:52 am   Post subject: RE:utter vexation.

Do you travel with 100s of GB worth of data? Futhermore is it so haphazardly organized that they can't use "search"? Both would make it significantly easier to find things.

Even worse is if you run linux, and the guy doing the searching doesn't know how to use it. Then they might just seize your laptop on suspicion alone.

The good news is that any such treaty would violate Canadian Law, and would quite soon be struck down. Bad news is that some people would undoubtedly suffer before that happens. The border guards in the states already seize laptops at will - so this won't make a difference there at all.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:20 am   Post subject: RE:utter vexation.

Wow...Scanning Ipods for illegal content...Those guys are going to be doing a LOT of scanning! This is...this is...utterly vexatious! (Don't even knowwhat that means...)

I guess I get off free, until I graduate from high school, when my mom finally lets me have a laptop (and pays for it to).
syntax_error

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:12 pm   Post subject: RE:utter vexation.

no but for example if I have my laptop (250 GB) along with my new ipod(120 GB); since both are highly filled with media type files, how would one check all the information on the files to see if they are legal, since some are legal some arent and so forth. This will take too much time.

@insectiod vexatious: Without reasonable or probable cause or excuse. harassing; annoying.
Dan

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:31 pm   Post subject: RE:utter vexation.

What realy worrys me is how this would give the board gaurds the sole power to decied what is copyright infermengent and what is not and the right to search threw all of your personal data with out a layer persent or a search warent.

This is such an actack on our rights that it shocks me the goverment would even consdier it.

Also what happens if you have encrupted data or do not give them your passwords? Does that mean my $5000 erclertions can be taken forever becues i don't want them reading my e-mail?

And will it stop here? It seems to me if you open the door to geting ride of basic rights there is no spoting it. Today it might be mp3s they are looking for but tomore it might be document critical of the goverment or e-mails that have views that do not match that of the goverments and it might be jail rather then just losing your laptop.

I guses the real question is why do peoleop keep voting for conservatives?
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:18 pm   Post subject: RE:utter vexation.

Anyone ever read the book '1984'? That's what our futures may be like.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Bobrobyn

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:06 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:utter vexation.

Dan @ Sat May 31, 2008 6:31 pm wrote:

I guses the real question is why do peoleop keep voting for conservatives?

People are morons?

Anyways. I can't believe they are even discussing it. Whatever data I have is my data, they have no right to scan through it. What's to stop them from stealing my data themselves -- claiming they need to look at it closely, or something.

Quote:
"The deal would create a international regulator that could turn border guards and other public security personnel into copyright police. The security officials would be charged with checking laptops, iPods and even cellular phones for content that "infringes" on copyright laws, such as ripped CDs and movies."

How are you going to determine if it's legit or not? Who are these "other public security personnel"? Are police officers going to start stopping people on the street and scanning their iPods and laptops?

md @ Fri May 30, 2008 8:52 am wrote:

Even worse is if you run linux, and the guy doing the searching doesn't know how to use it. Then they might just seize your laptop on suspicion alone.

This would be the equivalent of banning other operating systems, which cannot happen. (Who's going to use an OS, when you have your machines seized everytime some "security official" looks at it?)

Quote:
In a situation similar to what happened in the Softwood Lumber trade dispute, Canadians could face hefty penalties if it does not comply with ACTA after the agreement has been completed.

So, we're going to suffer because our country made a decision behind closed doors? What the fudge? There's gotta be SOMETHING we can do to stop this. This is utter bull snot. *sigh* What do you do when your government is about to do something that's completely evil? How do you stop it?

I don't really see it actually going through. What if it does, though? There's no good reason to forsake personal privacy in order to implement something like this. It's probably just pressure from the RIAA and organizations like it. Everyone knows the RIAA is bull, why isn't our government smart enough?

Digital freedom is something I've always felt strongly for, and implementing "copyright police", who's sole purpose is to go through your personal data, data that is so personal it can possibly describe who you are. If you're a writer, music lover -- this can be determined. Your data contains your personal thoughts, taste in art - or possibely some of your own art. It contains conversations with friends (logs), what websites you visit...

Wow, these "copyright police" could essentially be said to "thought police", right? Oh no, that's clearly not the case.

Quote:
"This government is working both at home and internationally to protect the intellectual property rights of Canadian artists, creators, inventors and investors."

insectoid @ Sat May 31, 2008 10:18 pm wrote:

Indeed.
Dan

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:10 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:utter vexation.

Bobrobyn @ 31st May 2008, 10:06 pm wrote:

This would be the equivalent of banning other operating systems, which cannot happen. (Who's going to use an OS, when you have your machines seized everytime some "security official" looks at it?)

There aucatly have been some cases like this in the usa where a person intruble for breaking some laws online (can't remeber if it was hacking or copy right realted) and was fourced to install motionring software on there computers. However this software only worked on windows so it was effectly agisted the law for him to use linux.

insectoid @ Sat May 31, 2008 10:18 pm wrote: wrote:

It is allready prity close to it in the USA.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Bobrobyn

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:38 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:utter vexation.

Dan @ Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:10 am wrote:
Bobrobyn @ 31st May 2008, 10:06 pm wrote:

There aucatly have been some cases like this in the usa where a person intruble for breaking some laws online (can't remeber if it was hacking or copy right realted) and was fourced to install motionring software on there computers. However this software only worked on windows so it was effectly agisted the law for him to use linux.

Wow. That's ridiculous...but it's not as bad as implying the ban for everyone.

I read a little more, over here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Counterfeiting_Trade_Agreement

and here:

http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Proposed_US_ACTA_multi-lateral_intellectual_property_trade_agreement_(2007)

and I just want to cry. Why go through all the trouble for a little bit of pirated MP3's? Seriously. Isn't there other more important things our governments should be working on?
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 11 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: