Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 how do you put an applet on the internet?
Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
gsquare567

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:25 pm   Post subject: how do you put an applet on the internet?

i have a jar, and htm file, but no website. is there a way to get a free site, and if so, how would i get the applet running on the site every time you go to it?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/plugin/developer_guide/using_tags.html
gsquare567

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

read it, didnt understand it. can you say it in english and not in websites?
ericfourfour

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Have you ever made your own applet before?

I would assume you upload the class files and the html that was autmatically created. Then you just change the directory of the files (in the html) to their new place (their url).
gsquare567

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hmm ok but how do you get a site? is there something java does that can give you a public site?
ericfourfour

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:19 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm sure you know what a server is right? You need to put the files on a server that is connected to the internet. I am know expert so someone else is going to have to tell you how to do it or you could Google it.
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:31 am   Post subject: (No subject)

There is nothing server-side dependent about Java applets. You do not need to upload anything.
gsquare567

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:35 am   Post subject: (No subject)

???
in english, what is the basic structure of an applet loaded onto a site, what code must i put into the html file, and how do i get a website...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:38 am   Post subject: (No subject)

You do not need a "website" is what I'm saying. You can have your Java code and HTML file on your own computer, and load the HTML file in your browser.

As for the HTML, I really can't do a better job of explaining it than the thousands of existing tutorials.
cool dude

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
You do not need a "website" is what I'm saying. You can have your Java code and HTML file on your own computer, and load the HTML file in your browser.

As for the HTML, I really can't do a better job of explaining it than the thousands of existing tutorials.

i'm not sure if he wants it to run just on his browser. i think he wants other people to be able to view his java applet from their browsers which in this case i believe he needs to get some free website and upload his files. I might be mistaken though Confused
cool dude

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

here is a sample html file. basically what you have to do is copy and paste the following into notepad. then save it as html file. Make sure its html!!! Also make sure you save it in the same folder as your program.

Note: Change the class name to your class name in this sample html file.

code:

<html>
<head><title>Testing Applets</title></head>
<body>
<h4>HTML Applet Tester</h4>
<p>The applet should appear below this text.</p>
<center>
<applet code = "NameOfClass.class" width="500" height = "500">
</applet>
</center>
</body>
</HTML>

[/quote]
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

cool dude wrote:
wtd wrote:

i'm not sure if he wants it to run just on his browser. i think he wants other people to be able to view his java applet from their browsers which in this case i believe he needs to get some free website and upload his files. I might be mistaken though Confused

Even then, such a measure is not necessary. He could just send the HTML file and the jar file he mentions in an archive to anyone interested.
cool dude

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
cool dude wrote:
wtd wrote:

Even then, such a measure is not necessary. He could just send the HTML file and the jar file he mentions in an archive to anyone interested.

Thats not the point i think. I think he wants to make it open to the public. I might be mistaken but i think he wants to create a website and on that website put up this applet so everytime someone accesses it then they will see the applet.
if this isn't true then you are right wtd because all he has to do is write it in notepad and save it as an html and it will automatically work in his browser.
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yes, he may wish to do so. It is not, however, strictly necessary.
gsquare567

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

cool dude wrote:
wtd wrote:
cool dude wrote:
wtd wrote:

Thats not the point i think. I think he wants to make it open to the public. I might be mistaken but i think he wants to create a website and on that website put up this applet so everytime someone accesses it then they will see the applet.
if this isn't true then you are right wtd because all he has to do is write it in notepad and save it as an html and it will automatically work in his browser.

YES THATS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT! just the ability to freely post an applet on a site of my own so it can be seen publicly. NOW can you help me?
   Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 24 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: