Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Get into Waterloo?
Index -> Student Life
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Null

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:56 pm   Post subject: Get into Waterloo?

I'm currently in grade 11, and at the present time, I think I'm interested in Computer Engineering. I'm looking at Waterloo, and it looks great. Sort of the MIT of Canada.

My question is, does anybody have any experience here? What do I need to get in?

What kind of grade are they expecting (I would suspect about 90%), what level of extra-curricular involvement? Do they expect somebody to do more then 40 community service hours? I know they issue the math contests; do the expect them to be written?

Any info would be great. Thanks in advance. Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
cool dude

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

there are many topics on this and there website has plenty of information. there really isn't a set average that they made where u can get in. it varies depending on how many ppl apply and the competition as well as the kind of program you want. it would be more specific on there website where it shows for each program wat average u can get in with. don't forget to take all the required courses though! extra curricular activities is always good and scholarship wise you can get more scholarships. other than that really if u hadn't done any extra curricular activities you'll still get in if you are high in academics. no they don't expect you to do more than 40 hours. its always better to do more but it really doesn't have much of an effect. although again i say if your looking for more scholarships having more is better Wink they strongly recommend you write the euclid contest. if you don't its okay it really won't matter. if you perform really high on the euclid contest you can get a really high scholarship though like cervantes.

as a personal note i'm prolly not going to waterloo just because of how expensive it is to live on campus. prolly going to go to york.

good luck
Cervantes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

If you've got a 90 average or higher, you will get into most any program. There are a few exceptions, so you should look it up.

Euclid is highly recommended. A poor score will not lower your chances to get in, but a good score will help you get in if you've got an average around the cut off, or help get your scholarships.

Writing the CCC will do the same, but I think it's valued a little less so.

As part of the application process, you must fill out an Additional Information Form (AIF). It allows them to get to know you in terms other than academics. It's ranked out of 12 and is added to your average. So if you have a 100% average and get 12/12 on the AIF then your admission number is 112. At least, I think that's how it works.
rdrake

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I was able to get into Computer Science Honours (co-op) with an 83% average and with filling out my AIF. I had quite a bit of community involvement in there, as well as other projects and such.

You obviously need the 40 hours to graduate, but other than that, put the extra hours on your AIF and hope for the best.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

90% should get you into most programs.

You could loose some entrance points if you come from a school with low standing, so you better make up for that with higher AIF. Most notably Waterloo's Math and Computer contests.

A school with low standing is one that over-inflates their marks and/or is behind the curriculum. It shows well when 90% students are admited, and then fail courses. So Universities normalize your entrance marks.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i think 80% is enough for most, even coop.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Borderline, but yes, it's feasable to get in with 80%

Unless it's NanoEngineering or Mechatronics.. you know, those 'only at Waterloo (and perhaps UBC)' popular programs.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Good sir, you are incorrect. MIT is the Waterloo of America.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Null

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

My school actually has a reputation for being very difficult. Many parents complain that their kids' marks are too low (or so I hear).

Thanks for the advice all. I'll look into it more seriously when the time comes. Smile
TokenHerbz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:54 am   Post subject: (No subject)

my school is crap, its low standing....

kids fail but they put them threw, there course's suck, they dont have variiety, and use simple courses. split courses are often too, like grade 11/12 math (which both learn the same things)

I feel this is why i have a lack in math skills, but i quess thats what you get for living in a 12 road town....

Any ideas how i can better my chances to get into a college or uni?
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:24 am   Post subject: (No subject)

TokenHerbz wrote:
Any ideas how i can better my chances to get into a college or uni?

Work hard, and don't pass up opportunities to display your desire to learn. Study hard. Learn even when you don't have to.

Don't try to cheat the system. Colleges and universities know every possible way of doing so, and won't be impressed by your "creativity."

If you have an opportunity to go to the college/university of your desire, do so. Arrange to meet with a professor in your desired area of study. Talk with that professor openly and honestly about your desires and concerns. Make yourself something other than a faceless piece of paper in the application process.

Make sure authority figures in your life know about your desires and concerns with regards to higher education. These people are your parents, and the administration at your high school.
BenLi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
You could loose some entrance points if you come from a school with low standing

I've heard of massey teachers talk about it, but how much difference does going to Massey make in terms of high and low school standings
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lets just say i knwo people who got in to comp eng with 78 simply because they were from massey.
1of42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
Good sir, you are incorrect. MIT is the Waterloo of America.

In the sense of, "reputable school for engineering, math/science, etc" then yes.

In the sense of "most focused school on science/engineering/math in <country>", then Caltech is a more appropriate choice in America.
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

while most of the following information has already been mentioned above (or in other threads on the forums), I've put together a "short" review of the University of Waterloo, and tried to at least touch base with common questions. Considering the number of times those questions are asked, I think it's good to have a summary to point to in the future.

http://compsci.ca/blog/getting-into-university-of-waterloo/
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 43 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: