Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 internships/Co-Op
Index -> CompSci.ca, General Discussion -> Featured Poll
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Will you be pursuing an internship or participating in an Co Op program?
(No ending time set)
Internship
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Co-Op
42%
 42%  [ 9 ]
Not sure
33%
 33%  [ 7 ]
No
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 21

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:25 am   Post subject: internships/Co-Op

It's getting increasingly harder for new graduates to find jobs these days. For many companies experience is the most employable skill. I'm just wondering how many people here are interested in obtaining an internship position during the course of university or are interested in a Co-Op program.

Thanks.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Clayton

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Im not too sure, but an internship or Co-op of some sort would be a great thing to have when you go out into the "real world"
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:35 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I never quite understood how one was expected to break into the gaming industry, when just about every company requires "3~5 years of experience in the intrustry.. preferably doing all that this job is asking of".

Anyways, the University of Waterloo's co-op is superb, and having worked for 2 years, at 6 different companies before graduation is something that really puts UW grads over others Smile
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
octopi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:31 am   Post subject: (No subject)

You've got to be a genious to get into (and stay in) a co-op program.

I'm barely smart enough to stay in my non-co-op program, and everyone I know who started out in co-op at my school first year got kicked out of it. I knew like 7 people in co-op programs, all kicked out.

Tony, your supposed to start your own fake company for 3 years, or just lie on your resume.
NikG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

octopi wrote:
You've got to be a genious to get into (and stay in) a co-op program.
That's not true, and I'm proof. haha

Although the requirements are stricter than non co-op programs, It's still doable. The biggest problem I've had is trying to do courses along with my work terms... that's a huge mistake.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:35 pm   Post subject: Re: internships/Co-Op

Andy wrote:
It's getting increasingly harder for new graduates to find jobs these days. For many companies experience is the most employable skill. I'm just wondering how many people here are interested in obtaining an internship position during the course of university or are interested in a Co-Op program.

Thanks.

absolutely. Good grades means absolutely nothing to most companies. Too often during an interview, they ask me about previous experience in for example imagine processing, and when I said no, the interview was immediately over. as a result, 30 minute interviews finish in 10 mintes, hour long interviews finish in 20 minutes. Whats the diff between intern and coop anyways. seriously i find it hard to believe that students who would not put enough effort to get an B (75) average to take their work seriously enough (or even capable of learnig fast enough for it), unless in extreme cases they find something they are really interested in.
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Bugzpodder, I think that they're the same, but internships usually refer to a 12 - 16 month work term later in the university degree, instead of multiple 4 month ones. Western for example offers that kind of program, with the internship taking place between 3rd and 4th year.

As for grades, I wouldn't say that they mean absolutely nothing, but they don't mean as much as you'd think. If you've got a 60 average, you're probably going to have trouble getting a job. If your average is in the mid 70s or better, it shows that you have a decent work ethic and probably devote your time to things other than school work. Having great marks doesn't hurt though - a 95 average shows that not only are you smart, but you're a hard worker too.

I think the best thing to do would be to teach yourself how to use an API. Saying "Extensive knowledge of C++" in your resume means nothing, saying "Experience working with the Google Maps API, as demonstrated at http://www.example.com/" would probably land you more than a few interviews.

So in summary, don't neglect your schoolwork, but at the same time, try to think out of the box. As my economics teacher said, "be distinct or go extinct."
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

actually a 60% avg student usualy does not include their grade report. hence grades doesnt matter.

i bet that quote is from larry rice.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Larry Smith!
   Index -> CompSci.ca, General Discussion -> Featured Poll
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: