Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 [FP] RTS Engine
Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> [FP] 2005/2006 Archive
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

What do you think of my game?
(No ending time set)
Amazing!!!
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Good!
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Average.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Needs improvement...
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Horrible :(
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

NikG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:39 am   Post subject: [FP] RTS Engine

Well, here's something I've actually been working on for quite a while. This is my attempt at a Real Time Strategy (RTS) engine. Yes, I know DanShadow has posted one as well, but the difference is that mine is created entirely in Turing (except for the MS Paint graphics). It is inspired by strategy games like the C&C series. Although I planned to release it with as many as 5 missions, right now it only contains 2.

My programming experience:
I program for fun! My last programming class was in my first year of university (Sept-Dec 2002). Before that I took high school programming classes where I mostly taught myself all the Turing I know. I took a break from programming after my first year but I just got interested in it again earlier this year.

Features & Bugs:
see Features & Bugs.txt in the attached zip file.
Note: One of the main features I'd like to highlight about this game is that my intention is to make it so that it's VERY customizable. Although v0.76 doesn't have all the functionality I'm aiming for yet, it does give you an idea of what I mean. I am trying to create an engine that will be fully mod-able, right down to the missions, graphics, gameplay, units/structures, and eventually maps and sounds. Hopefully this will inspire some of you to play around and create your own missions.

Programming techniques used:
Flexible arrays, file input/output, string manipulation, modules, custom variable types, command line arguments (don't work), mouse & keyboard input...

Controls:
see Controls.txt in the attached zip file.
(I strongly recommend you read this to get an idea of what you can do in the game.)

Source code:
I plan to release the code once I've worked on this as much as I want to.
(If the mods need my source for judging purposes however, I can send them what I have so far.)

Note:
This game may be run too slow on older machines. It was created on a P4 3.0ghz machine and tested on a 2.4ghz machine. The first mission ran at 30+ fps on the latter and about 50 fps on the former (press F1 during gameplay to toggle the fps clock).
Although the game delay is adjustable in the Game Consts.ini file, I believe it is already set to go as fast as it can so people with slow computers should be aware of that.

Feedback is greatly appreciated!

RTS_v076.zip
 Description:
RTS Engine v0.76
Controls: read Controls.txt.
Play: run rts_Game.exe.

Download
 Filename:  RTS_v076.zip
 Filesize:  341.56 KB
 Downloaded:  865 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:46 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Great engine! The config files and mission files are all set up professionally, and it plays quite like a commercial RTS. I'd comment more on gameplay, but I was playing it at ~10fps on a 500MHz computer, so I couldn't even pass the first mission. Wink

I can imagine you programmed it quite well also, seeing as how the rest of the files are all organized. Look forward to playing more complicated missions on a better computer sometime soon. Good work, voted "amazing" by the way. Wink
   Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> [FP] 2005/2006 Archive
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 2 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: