Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Another university or collage question thingy
Index -> Student Life
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
- IzAk -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:21 am   Post subject: Another university or collage question thingy

ok im not sure if i want collage or uni yet, and im not particularaly amazing at programming but i do get it. so my question is where should i go, or beter yet i live in st.catharines, ont. and if anyone knows how good the compsci departments around here are, i would love to hear your input. im not sure if i wanna become a programmer but i would like to learn more to the trade/profession.

thnx: me Very Happy
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
codemage

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The first year program of just about any college or uni will be fairly general and allow you to take a bunch of electives to see if you like subject matter from a different department.

Furthermore, the first year of just about every same-named program will be fundamentally the same, no matter where you take it.

If you're not sure if you want to have a career in a certain area, spread yourself out during your first year to give yourself other opportunities (in case your interest in CS dead-ends.)

A bigger question than are you really good at CS is: do you like it enough to learn almost exclusively about that topic for another 2-4 years?

Also... you might be interested in taking a summer or night course to see if the next "level" of study interests you.
- IzAk -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

iaghty, thanks man... that's alot of good advice, really thanks alot Smile
Reality Check

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Sorry to ask this in your topic but is Waterloo an option if I'm getting 93 in programming, I got 90 in Comp. Engineering, 92 in Math, 84 in Science, 81 in English? I hear thats the best University to go to for computer related things. These marks are all in grade 10 by the way. I'm for sure going to go to a University and I have my sights set on Waterloo, though I'm not sure I'd make it.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

if you keep that up, you're making it.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
cool dude

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

grade 10 was a joke. once u get to grade 12 and start taking hard courses your mark will start slightly declining. to get into Waterloo u can get in with a 85% average. u actually can get in with an 80% average in some cases when theres not a lot of applicants, and u have a ton of extra curricular activities and you've done very well on a math contest or something like that. Getting into Waterloo would not be your problem, the problem as i stated before in other threads are the expenses. on average including residence, tuition, books, entertainment, travel, food, etc. costs around $18,000. and if your going for 4 years excluding masters you'll need $72,000. most people don't have that kind of money and yes there is co-op, but it does not fully cover everything all the time and there is no guarantees you'll even get a job at co-op. since your only in grade 10 u can relax for now and not worry about it.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

cool dude - I think I've stated this before, but you'd have to pay about just as much for any other University. The only difference is the cost of residence (parent's basement vs. rent)

And one would really have to screw up to not get a co-op job. Or be like... work challenged or something. Or in Arts Laughing

Anyways, whatever co-op doesn't cover - OSAP does. Yey for social programs.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

cool dude, what grade are you in? you seem to be talking alot of shit about waterloo.

marks in the early grades mean nothing. i started grade 9 with an 70 avg, 85 in grade 10, 88 in grade 11 and 93 in grade 12.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
- IzAk -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hey hey hey, hounor roll students like myself. n hear i thought you might all jsut be nerd Surprised jokes, i'm just kidding. but yea thnx for all the tips, and i like the idea of parents basement while attending school, that's why i originally stated i hope you have good info on places closer to st.catharines, ont. but yea all this is being quite help full.... n i dont mind the talk of grades, doesnt bother me at all, aslong as thats not all this post turns into Rolling Eyes lol.
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

cool dude wrote:
grade 10 was a joke. once u get to grade 12 and start taking hard courses your mark will start slightly declining. to get into Waterloo u can get in with a 85% average. u actually can get in with an 80% average in some cases when theres not a lot of applicants, and u have a ton of extra curricular activities and you've done very well on a math contest or something like that. Getting into Waterloo would not be your problem, the problem as i stated before in other threads are the expenses. on average including residence, tuition, books, entertainment, travel, food, etc. costs around $18,000. and if your going for 4 years excluding masters you'll need $72,000. most people don't have that kind of money and yes there is co-op, but it does not fully cover everything all the time and there is no guarantees you'll even get a job at co-op. since your only in grade 10 u can relax for now and not worry about it.

$18,000? 8 months of school costs me about...
$7000 tuition and books, $4000 rent/bills/internet and another $2000 on food and entertainment. $13k. I don't know what else you're spending money on...
Cervantes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ouch cool dude; that post sure is attracting a lot of attention.
Just to beat a dead horse some more,

cool dude wrote:
grade 10 was a joke. once u get to grade 12 and start taking hard courses your mark will start slightly declining.

As Andy said, it's just the opposite. My marks increased with each year. The same is true for most of my friends who are university bound.
cool dude

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
cool dude wrote:

$18,000? 8 months of school costs me about...
$7000 tuition and books, $4000 rent/bills/internet and another $2000 on food and entertainment. $13k. I don't know what else you're spending money on...

well i got my facts from the Waterloo page http://www.findoutmore.uwaterloo.ca/financing/expenses.htm
scroll to the bottom of the page where it says estimated total expenses. i may be wrong u know better because u actually go there but this is the facts i got. @Andy and Cerventes: i didn't really mean it will for sure go down i just meant it gets a lot harder and u have to try harder to get the marks u r getting currently. wat i mean by that is in grade 10 i could have not tried at all and still got an A and then in higher grades that A would have been so much harder to get. so i'm just warning that its a heavier workload and harder to get the marks, but if your a good student you'll do fine, and thats why i said that getting into Waterloo wouldn't be such a problem with those marks.
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hmm, strange. I don't know why it would be that pricey. $1300 on textbooks though? Yeah right.
Reality Check

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, my marks have been going up since grade 7. My average in grade 7 was about high 70's to low 80's. Now its up in high 80's. I can also honestly say that I never once studied for a test (exclusing science). I usually procrastinate for projects as well. In grade 11 I will for sure work harder and if I can high 80's without even trying. To me, grade 10 is very easy.
Reality Check

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Also, money isn't an issue really. I have about 120k saved up (well my family saved up) strictly for my University. I also have a job at Staples and just about all the income goes into my bank account (aside from buying a lunch here and there and sometimes going to movies). I will most likely have enough to not only stay for the 4 years for the Computer Science degree, but possibly go for my Masters (should I decide to do so). I'm also hoping to have some luxury...I want to build an amazing computer for my room! Finally, should a couple fo my friends get in, were hoping to rent a big house or something together. If I don't get into Waterloo, UofT is awsome as well I guess. I'd like to ask this though, how benficial is it to stay for Masters? I didn't really plan on doing it but I've heard many people say that if they can, then go for it.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 4  [ 55 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: