Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 For the prospective university students
Index -> Student Life
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:44 am   Post subject: For the prospective university students

Keep this in mind:

All else is insignificant compared to the environment. If you are surrounded by smart, energetic people, you could sing campfire songs in class, and you will get more out of the experience than even the most impressive on-paper curriculum can provide.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I whould just like to add that the environment can also incude things like:

• Class sizes
  • The type of comunity (big/small, ect)
  • They quality of the resdences they have
  • The quailty of food and meal plans on campus
  • There student union
  • Do TAs teach the classes or do PHds
  • The cost of tution, books, rez, food, ect
  • What anation do they pay to undergrad/grad?
  • What dose the campus look like?
  • How far away from home is it?
  • What kind of scholar ships are there?
  • What clubs, events and exartar programs are there?
  • ect....

Remember you are not just going to be studying there for up to 5 years but living there and this will be your home. The repuation of the university is the last thing that i whould use to determen what uni to go to, basiclky the rep some unis have is based on there graduate progam not undergrad and can chage in the futter.

You should go where you will be happy and get the education you whont in the way you whont.

The best ways to look in to a uni whould be to aucatly go there if posiable and tlak to the sutends and see what they think of there uni. Make a list of all the things you whont a uni to have and see if they have it. And talk to the local student union to see what they say about the school, what are the curent issues they are dealing with. If somthing is wrong with the uni they are bound to know.[/list]
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:07 am   Post subject: (No subject)

meh... environment at each university is more or less the same. nothing too special about waterloo here. maybe you'd find something better at harvard
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:29 am   Post subject: (No subject)

lol dan, i love how you mentioned "how far it is away from home".
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Andy wrote:
lol dan, i love how you mentioned "how far it is away from home".

It can be both a good or bad thing....

@bugzpodder: I whould not say the everment at every unversity is the same. I think there are few unversitys where you can walk out the main bulding and be in front of a betwfull lake with a small waterfall and forest srownding it, yet still have one of the highest tech learning buldings in north america. There where even students fishing there today.

Not to say this makes lakehead better then another unviersity since i am shure there are many peoleop whould could careless about how there unveristy looks but for some it is imporent. And it is my blife that the comunity and everment here at lakehead helps in ones education in many ways and gives advagtes over thos unversitys that are masive and lack true comunity.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah well, we have killer geese here... pawns your grizzly bears anyday
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I saw a pic of a mouse with it's head threw a local mcdonals diver threw window that was take here once....i think it was in the oreation slide show at 1st year.
Reality Check

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I've heard Waterloo is a great environment...it is kind of far away though. UofT is closer, I'm not sure. I'm leaning towards Waterloo because of the Co-Op.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Reality Check wrote:
I've heard Waterloo is a great environment...it is kind of far away though. UofT is closer, I'm not sure. I'm leaning towards Waterloo because of the Co-Op.

That all depends what you define everiment as and what you are looking for. Almost all unverisitys have Co-Op this day and age, the issue is more if you whont to move for Co-Op or not. If you whont to stay by your uni then waterloo whould not be a bad choice for compsci co-op, but if it dose not matter then how good your Co-Op excprice will be will be up to mostly you and what jobs are open for Co-Op students at the right time.

To find what unviersity is for you, you most first deside what you whont to get out of your unversity excprice. Of corse we all whont an quality education and you will get one out of any university in canada (yep thats right haters, every unviersity in canada CAN education at a good quality level.). Affter all a Unviersity can not just be started by some guys out of there garure and in at least ontario there are strick regualtions about universitys for them to get funding. If you go to a unversity and put effort in to it you will get and education and in almost all cases you will get a job . (allmost all the universitys i have seen have an %100 enypoment rate affter 2 years for compsci).

The thing that i think alot of peoleop are missing is why they are in computer science in the first place. If you are just in it for moeny then you are in the wrong program to start with, switch to bisness or another progame right now. If you are in it to be a Haxor, then i think you need to worry about graduating passed grade 9 1st.

At least to me progaming is not about geting the highest paying job with hours where you don't get to see your faimly excepted on week ends. It is about being able to bring you unseen realitys in to exsistance and creating your own unveries. For me it is also about working with thecnoglys that will chage the way we see and intercat with our world and peolop in it.

Geting a job and being payed is just a nice side effect and stops me from living on the street. For this terms co-op i aucatly initenty gave up good paying jobs so i could work close to the person i love for signficaly less money. I am shure peoeop here whould think i am "purely stuided" for doing so but i guse our values in life are difrent.
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lets be serious dan.. waterloo did invent co op.. and we do have the largest co op program in the world.. if he really wants to get the best co op experience, then its gotta be waterloo
Reality Check

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yea I've got my sights set on Waterloo, I think I'd really like a Co-Op. Also, the pay of programmers is going up, its being implemented in our everyday lives and more things are being programmed. The pay potential is pretty high. I'm not going to lie, money plays a big part in my career decision and I love programming. I definitely see myself doing this as a career. Plus, when your a programmer you don't really work alone. Most of the time you will be with a team and I love working in that kind of environment. I HOPE to be programming games eventually, I love games and why not mix the 2 things I love? I love watching those 'the making of' things most games have now and it seems they have so much fun.
Reality Check

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Oh I'd also like to add, after I finish University I want to go to a college. I hear that if you do that, then your skills will be much better. College gives you something that University may not, and thats more hands-on. I know Co-Op gives you that but it can't hurt. It'd sure look great on a Resume.
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Andy wrote:
lets be serious dan.. waterloo did invent co op.. and we do have the largest co op program in the world.. if he really wants to get the best co op experience, then its gotta be waterloo

I whould hardly say waterloo invented co-op. As forit being the bigest in the world, i whould have to look that up to know, but what dose big mean? How many poeleop they push threw per term? How many jobs they have listed? How many programs they have a co-op for? Not saying it is bad or anything, it probly is good. I just do not like puting terms like best and bigest on things.

Any how i realy don't whont to turn this in to a unversity debate, we have like 20 topics on that. Lets keep this topic on the topic of evnerment of unveristys.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Co-op this, co-op that. Co-op is great for helping with financing and it gets you contacts (which you may or may not use and may or may not have gotten through regular working summers). But really, you go to university to learn, not to work.
Reality Check

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yes but you also learn in order to work...the two are tied together. Co-Op is great in my opinion.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 21 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: