Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 [Tip] Java's not the only game in the JVM town
Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Tutorials
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
wtd

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:35 pm   Post subject: [Tip] Java's not the only game in the JVM town

If you're serious about Java, then you can't afford to just know Java.

Microsoft is going pretty far beyond Java in terms of language-level features for C# 3.0. But, you say... "why do I give a flying monkey's butt what Microsoft does? I want to use Java."

The reason you care is that Sun will eventually bow to pressure from Microsoft and .Net. They'll change the language to keep up or they'll die.

When that change occurs, it's best for you to be ahead of the game. To get ahead of the game, learn Scala and Nice. You won't regret it. Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rizzix

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Nah Sun will not bow down to M$ (well not so easily). Cuz they almost had to, but they didn't (on numerous occasions) Razz Eitherway Java is getting to be more and more out of thier control. I hope that finally the JCP will be the only authorithy over Java.

Anyway, they (SUN) are going to start officially supporting VB.NET for the jvm o_o. Not that it's a bad idea or anything...

Oh well, to add to that list: Groovy and Jaskell. Smile
wtd

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

rizzix wrote:
Nah Sun will not bow down to Microsoft (well not so easily). Cuz they almost had to, but they didn't (on numerous occasions) Razz

And generics, the for-each loop, enumerated types, and auto-boxing are a result of...? Wink
rizzix

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Kava?

Also may I suggest you read the JSR's in the JCP and compare the dates with that of when it was introduced in C#. Just because things take a longer time move on in Java, does not mean M$ has thought of the idea first Razz
wtd

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well yes, the ideas were not even remotely novel in the JVM world when Sun incorporated them into 1.5. Yet I think it was pressure from Microsoft that ultimately provided the impetus to actually use that research.
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Also worth checking out is JScheme.

A simple "Hello, world!" app using JavaDot notation.

code:
(import "javax.swing.*")

(define win (JFrame. "Hello, world!"))
(.setSize win 400 300)
(.add win (JLabel. "Hello, world!"))
(.setDefaultCloseOperation win JFrame.EXIT_ON_CLOSE$)
(.setVisible win #t)
   Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Tutorials
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 6 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: