Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Lyrics File Downloader (for mp3's)
Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Submissions
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
s_climax

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:40 pm   Post subject: Lyrics File Downloader (for mp3's)

This is a program I've created for myself, but I can only assume that others will also benefit from its creation. The program parses through your mp3 file library and then tries to download lyrics for the mp3 file. If found they can either be written to file, saved into the id3 tag, or both. At the moment, the program is not perfect. For example, the reading of mp3 tags initially takes quite a while. As well, it takes a while to download the lyrics. The main probelm right now is that, at least in my case, it only found about 10% of my lyrics. This is because only one reliable website is coded into it right now. You may have to leave the program open for a couple hours. (I had to leave it open overnight, but I have a 60gb mp3 library)

Try it out, search for bugs if you want, but most important use it: The main reason I made the program is for my iPod. Since it saves the lyrics into the mp3 tags, and iPods (newer ones at least) have the ability to view the lyrics. Ideally, with this program all of my lyrics for my mp3s will be on my iPod.

SLPv2.zip
 Description:
Updated version which now loads websites to download from from a file.

Download
 Filename:  SLPv2.zip
 Filesize:  284.68 KB
 Downloaded:  3529 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
NikG

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:07 am   Post subject: (No subject)

It's a very cool idea, but the prog does not work for me.
I tried testing it with a single mp3 using both id3 and filename, but I kept getting errors.

If you want some help with it, you can post it up or pm me.
s_climax

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:32 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Could you post the error you get?

The file is meant to work with folders, not really single files. That may be the cause of the problem, I don't know. Another possible problem may have to do with the DLL files. I'm not entirely sure how to use them, or how they work once compiled.
NikG

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I meant that I tested it on a folder with one mp3 in it. I just tried with 2 mp3s in a folder and I still get errors. A couple of times, it showed me google and then went to an sql error page. Perhaps the lyrics site you're using has some problems right now. Here's a suggestion: perhaps load the sites to use from text file; that way you can just update the text file with new sites you find...

The error I had last time when I tried to get the info from the filename had something to do with an error "retrieving song name from file name" or something.

As far as I know, any DLL's you call should work if they are in the same folder as the program.
s_climax

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Except for the second error, it sounds to me like the program didn't really do anything wrong. It isn't exactly all that user-friendly. When it doesn't find lyrics, the progrma may show the sql error. I am about to upload an updated version. This next version allows for the resumption of cancelled attempts, as well as reading of websites from a file. If anyone is interested enough, I can tell you the file format fo the "websites.dat" file so that you can add more websites into the program. With the four websites currently in "websites.dat", I was able to download lyrics for 20gb of my mp3 files.
   Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: