Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Do you, uh, rofl?
Index -> CompSci.ca, General Discussion -> Featured Poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Do you use acronyms to express reactions of humour, and do you mean it?
(No ending time set)
Never. I say what I mean. If I laugh, you'll know it. A simple emoticon will let you know I'm smiling
22%
 22%  [ 12 ]
lol I use them all the time. Do I mean it? prob not rofl j/k j/k lol
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Yeah, I use them alot actually, lol. It's a habit of mine... but I pretty much laugh whenever I use it! lol
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
I'll use them every now and then. Hehe, it's like salt and pepper! Adds flavor to my post, lmao
30%
 30%  [ 16 ]
From time to time I might throw one in. If it's funny.
33%
 33%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 53

Mazer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

NO, NO. It's:
Quote:
HI MINSC
:)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

code:
%%% "Post Fixer" %%%
var omgtext : string
process make1337text
    var COOLARRAY : array 1 .. * of string := init ("lolz", "lmao", "ROFL!", "jk", "lol", "omg", "rofl", "roflmao")
    var fixedstr : string := ""
    var numberz0rs : int
    for i : 1 .. length (omgtext)
        numberz0rs := Rand.Int (1, 100)
        if numberz0rs > 70 then
             fixedstr += Str.Upper (omgtext (i))
        elsif omgtext (i) = " " then
            if numberz0rs < 20 then
                fixedstr += " :D "
            elsif numberz0rs > 50 then
                fixedstr += " " + COOLARRAY (Rand.Int (1, upper (COOLARRAY))) + " "
            elsif numberz0rs > 30 then
                fixedstr += " "
            end if
        else
            if omgtext(i) = "o" or omgtext(i) = "O" then
                fixedstr += "0"
            else
                fixedstr += omgtext (i)
            end if
        end if
    end for
    omgtext := fixedstr
end make1337text
setscreen ("text:max;max")
put "Enter the faulty sentence: "
get omgtext : *
put "The improved sentence is: "
fork make1337text
delay(200)
put omgtext

Authentic output, eh? If I enter this into the FP competition for this year, think I'll win? Actually, I think it may be the greatest thing since Evasive Maneuvers.

*edit* Err... admittedly, I'm not feeling my best right now... Maybe after a few hours of sleep... Your forgiveness, please. Smile
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Processes? Eh
Mazer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

No, no, he's right. Though I don't appreciate having my threads hijacked with blasphemy.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

This realy is not a good use of threades. There is no way to know if it has or will fished the excution of make1337text in 200 millionseonds. Any number of things could happen depending the computer it is ran on from doing nothing to the input text to, working, or just crashing badly.

It all deppends on what thread has what prioity, how long thos intrcustions will take to work on a givnen cpu and the type of cpu. If the computer runing this hass 2 cpus or is hypertheared the threads will _maybe_ run at the excat same time tho maybe not depedning on what other process the system is runing. If it is a noraml cpu the process will interchage cpu time and it will have a random outcome.

Sine the time to complet make1337text is totaly based on the size of the inputed string and the speed of the cpu i do not see how one could know that it whould for shure be done in 200 millionseonds even tho this is likey on newer computers or that turing is not runing in very lower prioity with a tone of other high proity process that will delay the runing on the process.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Mazer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Okay, I seriously thought it was an EM joke...
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Uhm... Yeah, sorry about that. But yes, I was only joking. I tried to make it obvious with the colourful* variable naming and the fine* use of processes. How things get misinterpreted...

*read: "horrible" and "extremely bad" for those who don't catch the sarcasm ;)
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

LOL, sorry about that. I am in exams week and have not sleepted in some time so sarcasm let alone reading is hard.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

And ANOTHER thing. When I learned to read, all those 18.5 years ago ( Wink ), I was taught to sound the words out. Maybe that's just gotten stuck in my head, but when I'm reading a post, I'm hearing the words in my head (it makes more sense if I'm reading a post by someone I know in real life and can assign a voice to). So what happens when I come across the world "rofl" used in a "sentence"? I hear rofl. And it makes you sound like an idiot!

Disclaimer: this does not necessarily mean you are an idiot in real life. But hey, this sure explains why I'm so upset about the whole thing.

See also: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/6409
Amailer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:55 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Odd, I do the same thing- but when I see the word "rofl" i hear "roof" what the ..... Shocked
md

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:59 am   Post subject: (No subject)

rofl, v. raw-full. A term for laughter which is so hard it causes you to fall off your chair and roll arround on the floor. Usually occurs when the laughee is already in a state of lol and is told something even more funny.
TokenHerbz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i see "RAWR" lots when one dies in a game.
i use "brb"... because be right back is so long
i use "haha" mostly, instead of "lol" though somtimes i use "lolz" cause its sexier..

i HATE playing games an seeing "asl" or "a/s/l" ..
i HATE bf / gf / or stupid other terms like "teh" (for the)
i say "noob" and "ownd" once in a while, when ones pissing me off, i spam it hard to them, and start cuzzing Smile...

iv'e seen other exotic terms which i dont know what they mean, one such as "cba"...

i can handle cheap typing, like "u" for you, or "4" for four, but dumb terms get annying..

AND I LOVE TO PUT "..."'s, watch my typing and ill do it a bit to much, though no one notices, i just realized this reading over what i typed abouve!
md

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:34 am   Post subject: (No subject)

For me most of these acronyms are just that; acronyms. My mind automagically transforms them into what they are short for. "brb" becomes "be right back", without my even thinking about it. "lol" and "rofl" and "lmao" all just mean laughing to me. Sure it's annoying when someone uses lol in every sentence; but if something really is funny how else are you to express it in text?

asl is stupid not because it's abrevetated but because of the questions it's asking.

On the other hand bf/gf are perfectly valid abreviations for boyfriend and girlfriend respectively. When comunicating in a test only enviroment like irc where saying what you want quickly is usually good abreviating 9 and 10 character words is understandable. The same with the being types as "teh". When it's done simply because yout typing quickly I can inderstand it completely.

People who type "teh" on purpose however... or "u" or "4" just piss me off. "You" is not an incredibly hard word to type. I mean really... typing "you" takes me just as much time as typing "u", because "u" is not an abreviation. It requires me to think about it, where as you just follows naturally.
Tony

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:06 am   Post subject: (No subject)

heh, so I was playing StarCraft the other week and in the course of in-game chat some idiot ended up saying something alone the lines of "u need to learn to spell", only somehow it was not as long.

just.. wow

I ofcourse proceeded to completely destroy his noob base Twisted Evil
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
codemage

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:53 am   Post subject: (No subject)

The least annoying game phrases and acronyms are those that actually make a sentence write AND read faster without losing any comprehension.

The best acros are those that someone who hasn't seen them before can figure out on their own (because of readability and proper context) w/o having to look them up.
   Index -> CompSci.ca, General Discussion -> Featured Poll
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 3  [ 35 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: