Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Ubuntu Question
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
apomb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:10 pm   Post subject: Ubuntu Question

Ok. Heres my situation: My wireless internet connection has been screwy lately, so i reinstalled windows and for about a day and a half, everything was working beautifully. then, i restarted after installing some updates, and BAM! no connection. nothing i tried did the trick. note: another wirelessly connected comuter on the same network, connects perfectly(the one im writing this on). I then resorted to transfering my router and DSL modem to my room, and connecting my computer directly. STILL no connection on my computer. The wireless to the other computer however ... flawless.

Will installing an old Ubuntu: Warty Warthog allow me to connect to the internet, now that i am connected WITH WIRES
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm going to say "no" only because it's possible but often very difficult and it probably isn't a risk you'd want to take.
Actually, I've never even tried setting it up in Warty. I *think* I got it working in Hoary, and it's mostly OK in Breezy, but it still isn't easy. Find out what kind of wireless card you've got and do some research on whether other people have had problems with it.

But yeah, everything works in Windows so stick with that.
apomb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

uum, i think you might have missed a large portion of my post ... windows doesnt work with any configuration, i want to get ubuntu to work on a WIRED network
Mazer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Whoops. So I did!

Yeah, I don't foresee any problem connecting to the network in Ubuntu unless you're actually having a hardware issue of some kind. But play it safe and try the Live CD first.
Andy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

if you're just trying things out then use live cd, it's beautiful. ubuntu's wireless drivers works perfectly fine with my laptop as well
apomb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

This LiveCD is truly beautiful ... yes im on my own computer, so its not the hardware. im going to attempt to download Breezy while at school tomorrow (A T1 connection Razz ) then try installing it tomorrow night, i have had a couple installs fail miserably, or seemingly work, then decide not to mount any devices , or connect to the internet once logged in, thanks again for suggesting the LiveCD ... i am very much excited once again that i can, in fact use Ubuntu as my main OS.
Andy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

why not wait a couple of days for the Dapper Drake?
apomb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

oyea, whens that supposed to be up?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Dapper Drake is available now. It's hit "Flight 6" release, and the final realease will be on June 1st.
apomb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanks WTD! Smile
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
Dapper Drake is available now. It's hit "Flight 6" release, and the final realease will be on June 1st.

Im currently using Dapper Drake with gnome 2.14, and it's really nice
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:00 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm downloading Kubuntu Dapper now.
apomb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:19 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I have a Kubuntu Breezy, i tried installing it once, and at one of the load screens, it just filled up with characters and froze, i restarted the install, did the same thing. i've had no luck with installing Ubuntu Crying or Very sad
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:21 am   Post subject: (No subject)

what kind of computer is this? some integrated peripherials must be disabled during the installation then enabled afterwards
apomb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:27 am   Post subject: (No subject)

No worries, i got my 32 bit breezy to install without a hitch Razz it has network support (as you can see) and im even updating right now! ... im here for good.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 15 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: