Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Mutiny! ... or not.
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:20 pm   Post subject: Mutiny! ... or not.

So, some of you may have heard of Free Range Code by now. Is this some kind of revolt? Are we seeking Dan's head on a platter?

No. Smile

However, I've recently found that I had the desire to start a community that in many ways shares the focus of compsci.ca, which is to help people who are learning. I do hope to have a greater focus on less mainstream languages, and on making self-teaching at least as important a focus as helping people taking organized programming courses.

The fact that I see a schism between the focus of FRC and the focus of compsci.ca here should not be taken as a sign that I view FRC as superior. I see it merely as another option. Due to my own background, it holds more interest for me, but compsci.ca plays and likely will continue to play an important role for many people well into the future.

Several compsci.ca members, and even staff are members of FRC and have positions of authority there. The fact that they participate in both should not be taken as a sign that they in any way disapprove of compsci.ca, or wish to leave.

If you have questions for myself or Dan, feel free to ask them here.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Awwwh, you mean we can't get Dan's head on a platter?! Nuts. Wink

FRC is a great place to come hang out if your learning something on your own and wish to share or get a little extra help. But please if your asking questions about how to get yoru final project working ask them here.
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cornflake wrote:
Awwwh, you mean we can't get Dan's head on a platter?! Nuts. Wink

Quiet you!

That's a separate project. Wink
person

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

um..what is FRC?
rizzix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanks for leaving all the noobs to us =)

hmm
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Free Range Code is a forum, and an IRC channel on AfterNet.

I would offer a link, but there are some developments occurring under the surface, and it might be better for me to wait for a little bit. Smile
person

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

rizzix wrote:
Thanks for leaving all the noobs to us =)

thanks
rizzix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Eeek.. Sorry didn't mean it that way. Not all are noobs.. Obvously. Razz

For now anyway.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

"Noobs" are welcome, if they have a desire to learn, and are open-minded. There is nothing wrong with ignorance. It is the necessary start of learning.
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I whould just like to say i fully suport FRC and that i look forword to working with them. I (now) do not see them as a threat to compsci.ca or threat to us but rather just another dimetion to us and the CompSci comunity (much like how we have a wiki).

I stroy encorge users to post on both sites and to be active in both comunitys and to work as a hole. If you have a tutoral you made and posted on compsci.ca and you think is good and fits with FRC feal free to post it there as well. I whould also encorge users to post tutorals on both sites if they fit. FRC has difrent langs and ideas then CompSci.ca so some may not fit in with both.

Now about that platter thing..... i know where tony lives =p
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Amailer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I want to learn another language, C+ (especially now since a friend of mine is trying to create a new tournament mod for the game JKA)... but I have no time. I want to learn soemthing.. ahhh time!

Nice though, hope it works well!
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

We've just migrated from our initial location. The new location is:

http://freerange.compsci.ca
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

For the lazzy, frc.compsci.ca also works.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
shorthair

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

is FRC run by WTD ??

if so , then i offer my services of bandwidth, storage and anyting of the sort.
with full Shell Access of course.
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

As rdrake has been invaluable to me in starting this project, he is also an administrator. Moderators will be appointed along the way.

Thank you for the offer, but we're eeping things pretty simple, and thus we have all of the resources we need already. The best way you can contibute is to become an active member. Smile
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 16 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: