Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Waterloo University
Index -> Student Life
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
cool dude

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:18 pm   Post subject: Waterloo University

hi i'm thinking of applying to waterloo next year but i dunno if i can afford living there and all the expenses involved. i heard about co-op programs there that help u pay for all your expenses. so i was just wondering how co-op works at waterloo university. here's some questions

1)do u have to compete or its just applying?

2)do u apply or the university puts u in a place?

3)can it be in ontario or most likely it will be in another province or country. i.e. martin in japan

4)does co-op take place during one year of study or how does it work?

5)do u have to have co-op

6)is it easy to get a job with co-op

7)is residence and living at waterloo expensive?

8)do u make friends easy at waterloo or r they all asians who make friends with only asians (nothing racist just a question)

9)does it have a software engineering program and wat is the minimum average to get in?

***answer any questions u can or want please***
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:47 pm   Post subject: Re: Waterloo University

First, just a note: "u" != "you". Please for the love of god use real words, and maybe some capitalization.

cool dude wrote:

From this I gather that you are asking if you can apply directly to coop of it you need to compete to get in. You can apply directly; or if you apply to the regular stream you can apply for coop after your first year. Getting into coop through anything other then applying directly is rather difficult though.

cool dude wrote:
See #1. I think.

cool dude wrote:
3)can it be in ontario or most likely it will be in another province or country. i.e. martin in japan
Jobs are all over the place. Some in Ontario, some in other provinces, even some in other countries. You get to choose which ones you apply to though, so if you don't want to work outside of Ontario then you don't have to apply for jobs that aren't in Ontario.

cool dude wrote:
Coop is part of your regular yearly schedual. Depending on what stream you're in the first year is different but it ends up becoming one semester on campus, followed by a semester working, followed by a semester on campus, etc.

cool dude wrote:
You can apply to most if not all coop programs as a regular student.

cool dude wrote:
Depends. If you have good marks, are enthusiastic and interview well then you should have no problem. If you have bad marks, and suck at interviews then you'll probably have problems. It's just like applying fora job in the real world.

cool dude wrote:
Residence can be more expensive then living off campus. However that being said first year you want to meet people and there is no better place to do that then residence. Living expenses for both living in residence and living off campus are about what you would expect to find in any university town.

cool dude wrote:
8)do u make friends easy at waterloo or r they all asians who make friends with only asians (nothing racist just a question)
Depends on the people really. Do you make friends easily where you are now? If so then you'll make friends easy at UW; if not hten you might have a hard time meeting new people. If you open youself up to meeting new people and doing new things then you'll almost certainly meet new friends easily here.

cool dude wrote:
9)does it have a software engineering program and wat is the minimum average to get in?
Yes, and you'd have to check the UW website. I'd assume it's pretty high though.
cool dude

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thanks cornflake Smile i should have checked the website it had a lot of information!!!

u = "you" --- ya i'm just lazy. i'm not that terrible at english (lol). just wondering if i have all 90+ marks and i just get terrible at english will Waterloo look at that so heavily?
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:07 pm   Post subject: Re: Waterloo University

cool dude wrote:

My job in Japan was very lucky. Most jobs are in Ontario, then some more in other provinces, then a few in the US and even fewer over seas. Most people go through the system without ever leaving Ontario, let alone Canada.

cool dude wrote:

Depending on your stream, it'll look something like this:
4 months school, 4 months work, 4 months school, etc. You don't get summers off.

cool dude wrote:

To get a co-op degree, yes. To get a normal degree, no. Waterloo offers both (the academic side of both is the same).

cool dude wrote:

It's easy to get a job, but whether you get a good job depends on how ambitious you are. Marks don't really matter for getting jobs unless your average is really low (under 65) or really high (over 95).

cool dude wrote:

Yes. Residence is a huge ripoff. It's something nuts like $600/month and not tax deductable. You meet lots of people though.

cool dude wrote:

Yes. Every single person who goes to waterloo is a xenophobic Asian...
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

most of my firends are brown... the asians are too fob here. if you come to waterloo, definitely do co op, other wise, you're wasting your time. If u manage your money wisely, osap + co op is enough to get you through university without any problems
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

As a LUSU director i have to try to promot my uni Razz :

Think about other unis, Lakehead is a gr8 uni and we have one of the best student unions. We have gr8 residences witch are not 10 sotrys high and have a much greater censes of comunity. Also we do not have the chisrtion cursade for chirst runing around on there cursades.

Bacilky no matter where u go in ontaro for your undergrand it will be the same so why not go to a uni the has a gr8 comunity as well as educatal value? We are working on the wifi hostants =p

Now as a compsci student i have to say this:

Don't be a softy (software engerner), be a real man an stopy playing in the midde of enering and comps. Become a CompSci magor and aucatly do somthing usefull =p.

Note: please don't get made at me u of w is fine in all if u are in to that sort of thing i am just trying to give peoleop choices. And thos "gr8"s are for u cornflake.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:17 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Also, at Lakehead you do NOT have to worry about all of those pesky wireless hotspots that dot every other Canadian university's campus. Have you ever found yourself hopelessly stressed out by the tough choice of whether to use a wired or wireless connection? Lakehead is the place to be - no wireless internet on campus!
md

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:25 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Don't forget the bears... LU has the advantage that when you get shockingly drunk and go out streaking you never know if you'll make it back with all your buddies...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:53 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Keeps the out door rec popualtion down Wink
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

http://cgi.ebay.com/authentic-engineer-engineering-engineers-IRON-RING_W0QQitemZ5079228767QQcategoryZ67728QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this is the reason you should go to udub
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Do software engeriners even get the ring? I know some places do not consider them real enginers.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

limited enrollment

apply

mostly in ontario

study, work, study, work, etc 4-stream.
8-stream starts with 2 study terms

no

depends on what kind of jobs. Google jobs are probably hardest to come by. Data entry jobs are probably the ones that nobody wants

4k per term

most chinese hang out with only chinese

yes, 85%
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah dan they do
cool dude

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hacker Dan wrote:
Do software engeriners even get the ring? I know some places do not consider them real enginers.

wat do u mean the ring?

oh and can u explain actual things such as projects and work u do in compsci and engineering because i like both so thats why i'm thinking of software engineering but if u say compsci is better can u tell me a bit about the prog. also wat do u mean by gr8 at lakeside?

@ bugzpodder: u say residence and tuition and books cost altogether 4k?
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

no he meant tuition it self costs 4k.. rez you have to add on top, and food, and books, and other misc fees.

umm i'd advise you to not go into software engineering, it's alot of documentation and project planning... and half of the people there cant program, im serious.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 5  [ 71 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: