Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Drawing Cool Pictures Using Asterisks
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Tutorials
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
batman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:17 pm   Post subject: Drawing Cool Pictures Using Asterisks

In this tutorial you will learn how to draw pictures using asterisks. An asterisks in case you didn't know is this thing."*"

Drawing a picture using an asterisk is very simple. You must know two things first. The first thing you need to know is the locate procedure.
An out put window contains 25 rows and 80 columns and will scroll if you go beyond that limit.The second thing you need to know is the locate procedure.
For example:

code:

locate (1,1)
put "*"

This will place an asterisk on row 1, column 1. The asterisk must always be placed in bracets.

If you know the for loop procedure then it will be faster for you to make pictures quicker. If you don't know the for loop procedure you can still make pictures but it will take you a longer time. So all you can to is write a locate procedure and copy then paste it afterwards and change the coordinates. That saves you some typing time.

The next important thing to making a good asterisk picture is colour of course. Turing has like 256 colours or something like that so when making pictures use a lot of colours.

Ok, to get you started on drawing pictures using asterisks, draw your name using asterisks.
Heres some tips:
1. Use the locate procedure to locate the asterisks.
2. Use different colours to make your name cool,
3. Some letters might be tricky like A so try your best.

Once your done your name in asterisks, try something more challanging.
For example draw the canadian flag using asterisks.
Tips:
1. There are three sections to the flag, the first and the last third are just all red.
2. The output has 25 rows and 80 columns remember and the canadian flag has three sections to it so divide it up equally as best as possible.
3. Change the asterisks to the colour red for the red parts of the canadian flag.
code:

colour (red)

4. When your finished with the two sections of red then go to the help files of turing and look up how to draw a maple leaf.
5. Place the maple leaf on the front of the flag and your done.
code:

View.Set ("graphics")
        Draw.MapleLeaf (0, 0, 100, 100, red)

I hope this tutorial helped you understand how to draw with asterisks. Its not that important but its fun. I know someone who drawed Goku from dragonball z the show using asterisks. Know that you know how to draw with asterisks draw something cool by yourself.
If you need to know someways of drawing faster then just email me.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

how about reading per-pixel information from an existing image file and drawing asterisks in that colour? additionally a background colour could be picked and be drawn with " " spaces, thus ASCII transparency Laughing
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
batman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:11 pm   Post subject: Drawing with Asterisks

That would work too but my tutorial is for beginers who only knwo the basics of turing. More advance people can use there own different methods to draw with asterisks
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hmm... I decided to waste a bit of time, and create something based on that idea. One example shows the original, the other an interesting way of doing transparency/fading using the same idea.

[source]Pic2Text.zip
 Description:
Picture to Text + Fading

Download
 Filename:  [source]Pic2Text.zip
 Filesize:  104.8 KB
 Downloaded:  598 Time(s)

batman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:56 pm   Post subject: Using Asterisks

Nice Pictures!!!
Delos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Intersting discovery: Turing (4.0.5) crashes if the folder your programme is in contains square brackets.
At least on my computer...strange, but utterly expected from OOT.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanks batman

Oops, renamed it without checking (it was Test Program before Smile). Delos, is it anything like: this? Or something different this time?
Delos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Similar, but in this case it was the Folder name as opposed to the file name causing an Access Violation as Turing is opening. You know that horrid box you sometimes get when you press F1, then a 'panic.log' is created...? Yeah that one.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Booya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:05 pm   Post subject: Flag

i created the canadian flag looks pretty cool. Anyways can u send me the picture of Goku using asterisks if u have it?
batman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:21 pm   Post subject: Picture

Sure I'll send you the picture but first I have to find it. It's somewhere on my computer!
Booya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:33 pm   Post subject: Picture

Ok thanks alot batman. Very Happy
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Booya and batman, especially Booya, you do know there is such a thing called spam? If you keep this up, you are on the fastest path to becoming 'newbcake', you don't want that, right? Read the rules if you wish to prevent unfortunate things like that from happening in the future. Being greatful/thankful is good, but don't make posts just to express that.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Tutorials
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 12 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: