Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 No WiFi for Lakehead
Index -> Student Life
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Naveg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:09 pm   Post subject: No WiFi for Lakehead

This seems a bit farfetched for me. People have been exposed to all sorts of radiation energy, and I have difficulty believing that WiFi can cause health problems while radio and cell phones do not. With more and more cities accepting proposals to blanket their territory with WiFi, I certainly hope it isn't dangerous.

In any case, wireless internet access is becoming a necessity in todays fast-paced world of business.

Any comments, Hacker Dan perhaps?

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060222-6235.html
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lol i actually posted that in the mods forum this morning..
md

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

How is it that someone in such a position of power can fail at being even reasonably intelligent? Unless he's also banning all cell towers in the area the radiation is already there.
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cornflake wrote:
How is it that someone in such a position of power can fail at being even reasonably intelligent? Unless he's also banning all cell towers in the area the radiation is already there.

Up next. Breathing and the sun are known carcinogens. The council will vote next week on whether they too will be banned.
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well it is true that crazy prez Gilbert blives that wifi will give us all canser and effect our brains in some nonsecicanl way, but i whould say that this should not discurge potenaly studens from applying to lakehead. Lakehead's stution union is trying to fight this and if that fials we whount to put wifi in our bulidings (witch whould cover most of the cmapus any way). Unforntly tho LUSU bulidings are rented form the uni and this could cause legal problems if we where to try such a plan.

This is hardly the most conterviersal thing Gilbert has done lattery at lakehead but just seems to be one of the most well know. I have hured reports of it on CBC radio where they intverview helth canadian for there options in witch they stated it was fine. Gilbert claims that no students are intrested in techogly with is cleary unture.

Hostly all this bullshit with Gilbert is starting to get to me, it seems he is more intrested in making money and promting is own insaine proganed then aucatly do what is best for the school in the long therm. I for see his plans puting the school in some trubolen in a few years fincataly.

Tho this hardly makes lakehead a bad school. Admaity there are lan cat-5 ports all over the school and almost at every seat in lector rooms so it is not like u can not hoke up your laptop. Also lakehead has some of the best studen serivces around ranging form student run bars, restornts, caffterys, and acrades. We also have some admazing gym physiclits with all the standers and some fun stuff like a climbing wall.

With any luck the sutdent union will get wifi in there some where or gilbert will be kicked out or over ruled. At a least he has to be out in a few years.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
shorthair

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

dude it made digg.
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

shorthair wrote:
dude it made digg.

im so digging it
1of42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Man Dan, you're like a walking Lakehead billboard... Laughing
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:01 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Dan, a court challenge might be in order if he's that insane... if he get's committed then he'd be hard pressed to say no Wink
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:45 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I think with Digg and Slashdot on the scene, followed soon after by Ars I imagine Lakehead is going to lose applicants in tech fields. Who wants to study computer science/engineering at a technophobic school?
shorthair

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:33 am   Post subject: (No subject)

well said martin , truly not a good image for those in the tech field, i mean
they are getting worldwide laugh coverage, its a huge deal.
codemage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:28 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I think they made the right decision. Electro-magnetic radiation is a brand-new science; anything which emits magnetism should be banned until conclusive studies are conducted.

In the meantime, throw out your fridge magnets, slinkies, and use your computers with monitors turned off.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'd really like wifi in my dorm... that way I can be free from the bandwidth constraint which is 1500MB per week!
md

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

codemage wrote:
I think they made the right decision. Electro-magnetic radiation is a brand-new science; anything which emits magnetism should be banned until conclusive studies are conducted.

In the meantime, throw out your fridge magnets, slinkies, and use your computers with monitors turned off.

Microwaves are not new; they have been in use for a fairly long time, and guess what! They use the same spectrum! Know what's even better? We're bombarded with radation all the time from things like the sun, a little extra from a wireless router that is less powerful and further away from you then a cell phone would be (same frequencies) is not going to hurt.

This is simply a case of a really dumb, self centered, scheming president (he's done some other thigns too) using bad science to get his way.
1of42

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cornflake, you seriously had to have noticed the sarcasm in codemage's post. If not...
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 26 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: