Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Difference, between net beans and ready....
Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
magicman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:37 pm   Post subject: Difference, between net beans and ready....

what is the difference between them??? I know that ready is "the fake java" and that netbeans is the real one.... but realy down to the niddy griddy, what is the difference?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Netbeans' featureset dwarfs Ready To Program. RTP doesn't include any kind of GUI designer. Netbeans apparently includes one of the slickest around.

Netbeans uses Sun's Java compiler which for better or worse is the standard. RTP uses IBM's Java compiler, which is limited to the feature of Java 1.4.2. This wouldn't be so much a problem except that 1.5.0 is much better than 1.4.2.

Netbeans runs anywhere Sun's Java runs. RTP is limited to Windows.

Netbeans can be freely downloaded. If you want RTP you have to beg someone to send you an illegal copy.
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

RTP also employs non-standart libraries that are not documented outside of Holtsoft
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
Netbeans' featureset dwarfs Ready To Program. RTP doesn't include any kind of GUI designer. Netbeans apparently includes one of the slickest around.

I don't know what the v4.1 was like for NetBeans for graphics design, but Hikaru79 was writing about NetBeans v1.5 in his blog.
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Eclipse: Free. Great for coding and is an RCP too!

Netbeans: Free. Greatest GUI designer. No competition here. It just owns, but poor coding support. Also an RCP!

IntelliJ's IDEA: The most superior IDE you'll ever get your hands on for $500 Smile It beats Eclipse and Netbeans put together when it comes to coding. It's GUI designer is not too bad, but it's no match for Matisse (netbeans). Not an RCP.
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Does anyone know the board's logic for choosing Ready to Program over actual Java or even another language?

The board's choices of language are bizarre. Turing - costs money, windows exclusive, completely useless in the long run. RTP - costs money, windows exclusive, much less useful than actual Java (which is free).

Java, Ruby, Pascal or Python seem like smarter choices...

Anyone?
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:02 am   Post subject: (No subject)

"Corporate support" was likely a big issue. Of course, 99% of what Holt seems to be providing support for are problems using their software created in the first place.
codemage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:57 am   Post subject: (No subject)

The choice is based on their choice for Turing. One company provides all the programming support. Also, the interface is identical to the Turing one - in the Board's mind, this eases the transition between the two languages when the students start Java in Gr 11/12.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:04 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Just goes to show, where there're stupid people, there's money to be made.

I think Python should be the language of choice for highschools.
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:52 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
Just goes to show, where there're stupid people, there's money to be made.

I think Python should be the language of choice for highschools.

I'd disagree with that choice.

Python has inconsistencies coming out the wazoo. Its community in general is also relatively hostile.
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I use JCreator cause zylum uses it lol. Is it helpful when I go to intermediate java?
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

MysticVegeta wrote:
Is it helpful when I go to intermediate java?

What is "intermediate Java"?
turboliux

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:15 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i use JCreator too. i like it because its simple while programs like Eclipse and NetBeans have too much features which i dont use right now (high school), for example:
Eclipse's "Generate Getters and Setters" for small java application is kinda uselless, coz i can write it myself! This function comes handy when a large program is written with all those classes and linked lists and data objects, etc...
So, i think that JCreator is good for learning java in high school, but definately not a best choice for actual work in some company...
magicman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

what about bluej??? my computer teacher says that its good......
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

magicman wrote:
what about bluej??? my computer teacher says that its good......

BlueJ is a bit different. It's not only an IDE, its an actual system for helping students visualize class structures. Yes, it is good, but it can't really be compared to Netbeans; they're not meant to do the same thing, really.
   Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 22 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: