Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Shall we file this under "Google is--" ah fuck it.
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Mazer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:57 am   Post subject: Shall we file this under "Google is--" ah fuck it.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/31/google_goes_desktop_linux/

I'm really not sure what to think of that. Can't say I care for the name much. Aside from that... I dunno. I like my Ubuntu the way it is. What changes will Google be making?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hopefully it'll work with my computer this time.. everytime i try to install it on dual boot, my comp dies Rolling Eyes
Mazer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Care to elaborate? Did you mean the install fails, or that your computer gets fucked up as a result of installing it?
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I also like Ubuntu the way it is, and I also didn't like that name Goobuntu maybe gubuntu would work a little better, but either way I like ubuntu and I think all stick with it for a while longer. I like google, and think if they can pull this off it would be good for those "noobs" out there who can't use linux cause it's too "hard" to use
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

nick, here is what i did. i used partition magic to spin off 30 gigs of free space into unpartitioned area off my laptop, then formatted the 70 gigs thats left in to ntfs slow, installed windows xp over that 70 gigs, then without installing anything else, pop in the ubuntu cd, and then format the 30 gigs to ext-3, then install ubuntu onto it. everything works fine, computer restarts, and it gets stuck on installing grub... i leave it on over nite, next morning, still installing grub... then i turn off my comp, and pop in the windows xp cd so i can use fixmbr to restore my comp, and bam, the windows xp disk no longer boots.. so then i have to put the ubuntu disk back in, select format, format my ENTIRE drive, then the instant it finishes formatting, before any files are being coppied, i have to pull the plug on my comp, only then will the xp disk boot..

tried this 4-5 times.. yea.. it doesnt like me very much
md

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't suppose the ubuntu install CD will give you a promt eh? I haven't done anything with it for a long time, but I have done lots with gentoo; and really installing grub is super simple.
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I suggest breaking it

Are you sure the cd you are installing ubuntu off of isn't scratched or anything like that? What version is it? (Horay, Breezy?) Have you tried installing ubuntu only just to see if it's grub that's messing everything up? And if it still wont work, either try a different distro, or smash the laptop and take it back
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

no way im smashing my super sexy asus laptop with geforce 6600 and 2 gigs of 533mhz ram... umm the version is slightly outdated, i'll image my hdd sometimes in feburary, and try again... and yea the cd's not scratched.. it was a printed one.. i ordered like 50 of them
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Andy wrote:
i ordered like 50 of them

Why so many? you trying to bankrupt them?

ahh crap im outta time...i want the internet back at home Crying or Very sad
rizzix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

timmytheturtle wrote:
Andy wrote:
i ordered like 50 of them

Why so many? you trying to bankrupt them?

ahh crap im outta time...i want the internet back at home Crying or Very sad

bankrupt the multimillionaire.. you can try.. but who cares..
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

To turn this into a flame war.

OSX really really really needs virtual terminals.
Mazer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Omfg ban
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Coutsos wrote:
Omfg ban

ROFL
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:15 am   Post subject: (No subject)

speaking of google... http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/060131/google_earns.html?.v=3

owned...
md

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:38 am   Post subject: (No subject)

So... people who are not google predict how much money google will make... then when google fails to meet those predictions for a number of legitimate reasons their share prices fall...

Anyone else think that maybe the market haas become too focused on speculation instead of fact?
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 37 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: