Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 new hd
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
person

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:50 pm   Post subject: new hd

im trying to install a new HD, and the comp doesnt detect it. The only thing I know to do is go into CMOS, and set the Primary Master as "AUTO".I dont know if this is right, cuz it still doesnt detect the HD.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

make sure the jumper settings are right on the hard drive. are you adding this as a secondary drive? if so then set the jumper to CS or slave
person

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

not secondary, im riping out the old one and replacing it with the new one

wat r jumper settings, and where can i change/find them?
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

they should be beside the ide pins on the back of your hard drive
Mazer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Jumpers are located at the back of the hard drive.

Something like:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
But the actual settings may differ for your particular drive. Look for a sticker on the top of the hard drive, or look for a manual that came with it.
person

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

also, about the jumper block, i found no wire connected to it...is there supposed to be one cuz there wasnt one connected to my old hd
Mazer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Depending on the drive having no jumper set can mean master. But actually... if it's the only drive, do jumper settings actually matter?
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:00 am   Post subject: (No subject)

no it shouldnt.. person, the ide cable you have connected to ur drive, does it connect to anything else?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
brenn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

person wrote:
also, about the jumper block, i found no wire connected to it...is there supposed to be one cuz there wasnt one connected to my old hd

It should be just the jumper, I don't think there's anything connected to it.
person

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Andy wrote:
no it shouldnt.. person, the ide cable you have connected to ur drive, does it connect to anything else?

well, one end is connected to the harddrive, the other end is connected to the mother board
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

if u put ur original hard drive back, it detects it? if so, take the jumper off ur exiting hard drive and put it in ur new one, if it was cs originally, then put cs, if master, then master, if slave, then slave
Blade

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

are you sure its even IDE? if its a sata hdd, then the cmos wont detect it. if it is a sata drive, make sure you have sata enabled in your bios. make sure you have a floppy drive hooked up because when you are installing windows xp you will need your sata drivers. when first booting into the setup it says press f6 to install a scsi or raid driver, make sure you press that, later on in the installation it will ask for the driver floppy. another thing with these drives is some come with both the molex and the sata power on the back (i know mine does but a buddy's doesnt) - ensure you only use one power connector. the sata drives sometimes dont have jumpers on the back the ones that do generally are only used to set the sata speed, because you can only have one sata drive connected to one sata channel. if you have a sata II drive, they are backwords compatible with sata I, but some sata I chipsets cant auto-negotiate the speed so you will have to manually set it with the jumper. i had this problem with mine - because it couldnt autonegotiate the speed it seemed like it wasnt detecting the drive.

if it isnt sata then like they said above, check your jumper settings, look at the top of the hdd and it usually has a jumper guideline on how it is to be set for each setting. you said you wanted to have it on master because you are replacing it so look for that. another thing with ide is make sure that you have the ribbon pushed all the way into the drive and on the mainboard - i've seen this mistake happen numerous times. also, make sure that you have the ribbon plugged in the right way, with the red strip on pin1
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i assumed that it was ide, cuz he used the same connector as his old drive.. but yea, make sure the cable is plugged in the right way, especially if its an old cable.. make sure the red pin is closest towards the poweroutlet
brenn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Blade wrote:
are you sure its even IDE? if its a sata hdd, then the cmos wont detect it. if it is a sata drive, make sure you have sata enabled in your bios. make sure you have a floppy drive hooked up because when you are installing windows xp you will need your sata drivers. when first booting into the setup it says press f6 to install a scsi or raid driver, make sure you press that, later on in the installation it will ask for the driver floppy. another thing with these drives is some come with both the molex and the sata power on the back (i know mine does but a buddy's doesnt) - ensure you only use one power connector. the sata drives sometimes dont have jumpers on the back the ones that do generally are only used to set the sata speed, because you can only have one sata drive connected to one sata channel. if you have a sata II drive, they are backwords compatible with sata I, but some sata I chipsets cant auto-negotiate the speed so you will have to manually set it with the jumper. i had this problem with mine - because it couldnt autonegotiate the speed it seemed like it wasnt detecting the drive.

if it isnt sata then like they said above, check your jumper settings, look at the top of the hdd and it usually has a jumper guideline on how it is to be set for each setting. you said you wanted to have it on master because you are replacing it so look for that. another thing with ide is make sure that you have the ribbon pushed all the way into the drive and on the mainboard - i've seen this mistake happen numerous times. also, make sure that you have the ribbon plugged in the right way, with the red strip on pin1

.__. why is installing a SATA hdd so complicated??? *rhetorical*
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

person wrote:
Andy wrote:

well, one end is connected to the harddrive, the other end is connected to the mother board

umm, probably a stupid question but is the power cable connected to the drive? Razz
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 16 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: