Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 where can i find VB
Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Genisis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:43 pm   Post subject: where can i find VB

can someone send me a link so i may downlaod the program to begin programing
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
cool dude

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

for the one millionth time we cannot and will not tell u where to download VB!!! either buy it which i don't suggest b/c it costs a lot, get it from your school if they give out. OR u can get it from microsoft i believe they r giving u the free beta version of .net
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Actually, you can download it here http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vb/download/
cool dude

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:

thats exactly the one i was talking about. the only thing about this one is that its a lot newer than the schools and its not compatible with the schools VB 6.0
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It is beyond me why schools choose to use the absolute worst languages they can find. Like, VB 6 and Turing. Someone needs to get fired.
cool dude

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lol i don't think its the schools that choose the language i think its the board of education. and Turing is useful for ppl that are starting up in programming. think about it how would beginners start learning C/C++ or other advanced languages. it would be a lot harder to teach them. Turing comes in handy. VB though i agree with u, i don't like it!
Andy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

cool dude wrote:
i don't think its the schools that choose the language i think its the board of education. and Turing is useful for ppl that are starting up in programming.

actually it is up to the schools, there is no set curriculum. and also, learning turing was a waste of time, i would've rather learned Pascal
codemage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:41 am   Post subject: (No subject)

It's usually up to the department to decide what software to use.
The administration usually gets veto rights, though.

VB is not used in most schools b/c it is prohibitively expensive. Some places use it though because it's good for students who learn visually - you can see what's going on, and the visual element makes OOP less confusing.

Turing is a good instructional language for grade 10 level, IMHO. It cuts out the necessity of learning advanced topics - and lets the teacher focus on theory relevant to the learning level.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Brightguy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:05 pm   Post subject: Re: where can i find VB

Actually, if you just want to begin programming, there is a free version of VB5.

As far as Turing goes... learning it does not take very long. Learning the underlying concepts is the important part, and that can take some time...

Also, VB should not be used to teach OOP, heh.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:03 am   Post subject: (No subject)

That may be useful, but it was already mentioned that you can download an "express" version of a far more current VB from here.
diqua

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:29 am   Post subject: (No subject)

the only reason the school uses VB is because they have an agreement with microsoft so its cheeper per copy
tupac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think turing is a waste of time for any noob in programming. I luv VB, I like it so much that when i start writing on it, i dont notice the time fly by. VB is a very good language. But also, if the board of education wants noobs to start with a non-visual program... then pascal is the answer. Theres a lot of help on pascal on the internet, its an easy language to learn, and its a lot like turing... well... turing is a lot like pascal, but u get the idea. I think that ither pascal or VB should be taught in skool first, then C/C++ or Java or whatnot.
codemage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:52 am   Post subject: (No subject)

VB is too expensive for all but the richest school boards. Buying VB for a school is a sure way of ensuring you won't be able to afford anything else for several years.

Pascal might be a more widely-used commercial language at the moment, but so is FORTRAN... so is BASIC, for that matter - that doesn't mean they're better. Turing's internal documentation is excellent. I can't think of many reasons why Pascal would be superior.
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

cool dude wrote:
lol i don't think its the schools that choose the language i think its the board of education. and Turing is useful for ppl that are starting up in programming. think about it how would beginners start learning C/C++ or other advanced languages. it would be a lot harder to teach them. Turing comes in handy. VB though i agree with u, i don't like it!

Why do you assume that if a school didn't use VB then the only other languages out there they could choose from would be C, C++, and VB?
cool dude

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

oy ppl don't read the whole posts. as i clearly stated and go back and read it i gave an example how beginners would learn advanced languages such as c/c++ and other advanced languages! there are many languages out there i just gave that as example. if u want to share more be my guest Smile
   Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 15 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: