Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Shall we file this under "Google is evil"?
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Mazer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:28 pm   Post subject: Shall we file this under "Google is evil"?

http://fitrans.blogspot.com/2006/01/found-in-my-inbox-odd-gmail-feature.html

Anybody else more than a bit freaked out?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Should i be scraced that the link no longer works? lol
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
rizzix

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

oh my... Shocked (they removed it?)
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

*twilight zone theme plays*

Coutsos, did you copy or memorize the contents of the post? It seems to have mysteriously vanished from (Google's) blogging service ... Shocked
Mazer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Summary:
Blogger signs up for Gmail account back when you could make people think that having a Gmail account made you special, but never uses it. Sometime later he decides to sign into his account, and notices ~100 emails (he never gave out his email). None of the emails are spam. They're all being sent to somebody else with a similar email address. He forwards them to the other guy and explains that they must've got the address wrong. Later still, he goes back and notices even more email being sent to the other fellow. And then he finds out, they aren't sending it to him by mistake. The person in question is getting his emails. But Google sends them to BOTH accounts.

Oh hell, I'm trying to find the link again (pretty sure I saw it on digg) but it's nowhere now... I guess the conspiracy runs that deep.

Check this info out for now (straight from Google).

EDIT: His blog is still up, but he might've removed the post himself (you can still read it right after the new post). Looks like he did make a mistake and is trying to get rid of the digg.

It's OK everybody, you can go back to getting "I <3 Google" tattooed on your forehead...
md

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Read it (it was digg'd). Seems that it was an error in an early version of googles signup programs.

It's not a case of google being evil, just a case of a bug being fixed... without fixing the problems it caused.
Amailer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Something similar happned to me once... but then I found out that I somehow.. not sure when, singed up to one of the google groups.
So I keeped gettign emails that have been sent to other people... and yes, they were coming in the 100s XD Why? Because its like a forum.
chrispminis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:11 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Oh good, cuz tattoo removal can be expensive. Just a question tho, how does a bug like that make google evil, or conspiring? Perhaps im too shallow or too devoted to google, but... i dont see the evil intent behind recieving anothers mail?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:17 am   Post subject: (No subject)

No one's accusing Google of anything. Geez man.. Get with the flow!
chrispminis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Coutsos wrote:
Oh hell, I'm trying to find the link again (pretty sure I saw it on digg) but it's nowhere now... I guess the conspiracy runs that deep.

Plus the title is "Shall we file this under Google is evil"

So...
Mazer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, I considered it pretty accusatory at first. But it was admittedly a mistake, apparently. Still, from what I've read, is there anything stopping people from registering an email address like someone else's except with a dot in it somewhere?
md

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yes, they fixed teh bug so youcan't register a username similar to anyone elses.
chrispminis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Wait, why wouldn't they just recognize periods? Or am i missing something fundamental? I suppose its easier to just not let you make an account with periods, or one thats similar, but how did they resolve the problem with the already existing accounts? you might not know how or why, but you can speculate Smile
brenn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:31 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Um, would that be why I was receiving e-mails in my g-mail that were addressed to another Brenda? @_@
blaster009

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:58 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Google's not evil Sad I love Google. And Wikipedia. Mostly Wikipedia. But Google too.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 16 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: