Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Imagine Cup 06
Index -> Contests
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:51 pm   Post subject: Imagine Cup 06

As a member on the advisory board of IC06 algo division Very Happy
I urge you to join in this competition (ranges from algorithms to a wide range of other things like games AI, networking and etc)
www.imaginecup.com
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:18 am   Post subject: (No subject)

What exactly is the level of this competition? Would a fairly advanced high school student be wasting his time trying to compete?
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:33 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Fairly advanced highschool student will not be wasting time. I belive they have highschool divisions Thinking

I was participating last year in AI category - loads of fun actually.

And since most of categories are team based:
Software - up to 4
Film - up to 4
AI - up to 2
Interface - up to 2

You could team up with another user(s) here on compsci
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:38 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Hm. I'll talk to Cervantes about teaming up for the highschool division. I hope he has time. I hope I have time, actually.
andytyk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:29 am   Post subject: (No subject)

They removed the high school divisions this year and the contest has been scaled down considerably. At the start of this year, high school students were not permitted to compete but they decided otherwise just before registration opened. So the registration rejected all high school students until they fixed it. The algorithms is usually a lot of math, the IT requires a lot of knowledge of the Windows server system.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Natually I am not at liberty to reveal information related to the algorithm competition, but I will say this. Round 1 is accessible to EVERY high school student. Hence I encourage everyone to participate.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Alright, I'm registered Smile I also entered the Project Hoshimi thing. It seems something similar to RoboCode, and that's a lot of fun. It says teams of 4 -- anyone from compsci.ca interested in making up a team?
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i thought project hoshimi has only 2 members on a team
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
zylum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah its teams of 1-2 individuals...

Hikaru, you wanna partner up with me?
Cervantes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hikaru79 wrote:
Hm. I'll talk to Cervantes about teaming up for the highschool division. I hope he has time. I hope I have time, actually.

<3

What invitationals were you thinking? Just the Project Hoshimi thing? Apparently the algorithm one is only for .NET family languages. Sad

You need to stop disappearing from IRC without notice.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:58 am   Post subject: (No subject)

bugzpodder wrote:
i thought project hoshimi has only 2 members on a team

Oh, sorry. I was thinking of the Software Design -- that one has 4. My bad.

Cervantes wrote:

<3

If I can safely take that to mean "sure", then want to partner for the Hoshimi thing? Smile Us two, we'll pwn.

zylum wrote:
Hikaru, you wanna partner up with me?

Well, it seems I probably have a partner for the Project Hoshimi thing, but teams of four are allowed for Software Design -- wanna team up for that one? Smile

Cervantes wrote:
You need to stop disappearing from IRC without notice.

Yeah, things tend to pop up Sad I'll warn next time. Sorry Embarassed
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i can tell u this much... anybody can participate in algorithm round 1... round 2 requires you to work with .net however (if you get this far). as I said, everyone has a chance in round 1 (this maybe an advantage or disadvantage depending on how you look at it) It is advantageous in that everyone's chance to qualify is roughly equal. It is disadvantageous in that your chance of qualification is directly proportional to amount of effort you put in. so dont even think about qualifying if you aren't going to invest at least 20 hours into this.

as for software design, do you guys have any experience at all in designing software?? I know that I have never designed any software before and for example the design competition in topcoder looks extremely tough. you'll have to understand requirements and draw uml diagrams, among other things. so i dont think it would work if u just dive into trying to design something blindly
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

bugzpodder wrote:
as for software design, do you guys have any experience at all in designing software?? I know that I have never designed any software before and for example the design competition in topcoder looks extremely tough. you'll have to understand requirements and draw uml diagrams, among other things. so i dont think it would work if u just dive into trying to design something blindly

I've had some experience with two UML systems. Additionally, I've worked on three fairly large projects (on Sourceforge.net , look me up) which required lots of preliminary design (especially the UGS project, which is still mainly in the design phase). I'm certainly no expert, and I don't expect to win anything, but there's no harm in seeing what the competition's like Smile

If anything, I'd say I'm stronger in the areas of planning out software systems, with clean maintainable interfaces, than I am at at turning out mathematical algorithms. (Although the latter is certainly more fun).
zylum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

what does round 1 consist of?
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

zylum wrote:
what does round 1 consist of?

For algorightms, Round 1 is an online quiz. For Software Design, there doesn't seem to be any "rounds", it's just all one big project.
   Index -> Contests
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 39 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: