Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Deep Space: Platformer
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
blaster009

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:31 pm   Post subject: Deep Space: Platformer

<MOVED TO THE FINAL PROJECT SECTION>

Lol...Angry caps should get the message across.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
zylum

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wow that killed my computer and im running a 3GHz P4 w/ 512 MB RAM. i havent taken a look at the source code but if you did the collision detection with any decent planning then that shouldnt be the problem... it might just be the picMerge. i remember having a problem with that one when i had to draw many objects using picMerge.

[edit]

yeah i was right... i changed all the picMerges into picCopys and now it runs really smoothly

[/edit]
blaster009

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

That's odd...I'm running it on an AMD 3000 (2.17GHZ) with 512 megs of RAM (64 of that allocated to the video card, so only 448, really), and it worked fine for me...

Oh, and as a last-ditch effort, there are two things you can do to make the game run faster: First, as stated above, go into the source code, and use the Replace feature to replace all instances of picMerge with picCopy. Secondly, you can turn off the music and sounds in the options menu.
Delos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Good job. I liked what I saw. And not just in the game either. Your code was pretty good, and I'm glad to see that you've made effective use of procs and fcns. It would have been nice to see perhaps some more compartmentalization to further purify your code-process. Perhaps some Modules/Classes, depending on how you want to approach things.
Someone once told me that if ever possible, to keep all procs under ~20 lines. You can, however, have lots of other procs as long as they make sense. This type of thinking really forces you to tighten your code, though is just a little heuristic you can use from time to time.

The jumping is the really buggy part of the movement. Look up how to create more realistic jumps, incorporating gravity and the like. Either in the [Tuts] or [Help] sections, there is some useful info.

Overall a well put together piece of work. Submit this to [FP] when you feel sufficiently ready, and perhaps you'll find yourself showered in bits.

+bits.
Rasta Fella

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ummm...I love to reply but the computer I'm using right now can barely run your program. For once I might see if it works at school(hehe some computers at my school are pretty good hence the word "some".
Shyfire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:07 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i have a question how did u do ur collision detecttion because i looked through ur code ane couldnt find it ? and could u show me how to do it to
blaster009

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm currently reworking the entire engine for the game...I'll re-explain my collision detection when it's done.
blaster009

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'll be uploading a hopefully final version of the program tomorrow. I just realized a MASSIVE flaw with my code, and I hope to fix it asap. It will certainly help the program run a lot faster...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Justin_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:15 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I guess you touched up your code or something? It works great on my computer athlon 64 2.0ghz, 1gb, 128mb 6600gt.

Really great game man, I think it is the best I've ever seen so far. Mind you haven't looked through all the submissions :p
blaster009

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:16 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Alright boys and girls! This is it! The final, ultimate, last version of this game. I can't go on like this! Lol. Every time I think I'm done I edit some more. Smile Anyhow, inspired by the words of Delos (thanks for the suggestion - I hated the jumping thing anyways), I have completely rebuilt the engine of the game. I was sitting around, thinking of how to program a Tank game on my TI-84, when all of a sudden, an idea hit me to make the collision detection in THIS game waaay more efficient. It should now work better on older computers, especially in levels with multiple enemies and lots of movement. After that was done, and I realized I was up anyways, I thought, "Why stop there?" So I rebuilt the jumping and other movement detection too. No more floating or hovering just off the ground. The character will not slow down when jumping small areas either. As mentioned earlier in the post, this should be the last update I make to this game, so please, enjoy!
blaster009

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

This has now also been posted in the Final Projects section...
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 11 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: