Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 High court upholds Oregon assisted-suicide law
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:29 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I voted Green (mail in)

EDIT: Did you know that Canada has a Sex Party? http://www.thesexparty.ca/
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:28 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Back on topic:

If your dog or cat got sick and you were unable to treat it (for whatever reason), would you force it to live out its suffering on the off chance that they might be able to be cured (such as, you win the lottery and can afford to buy treatment for them)?
Justin_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:21 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
f your dog or cat got sick and you were unable to treat it (for whatever reason), would you force it to live out its suffering on the off chance that they might be able to be cured (such as, you win the lottery and can afford to buy treatment for them)?

YES!

And I also am planning to vote GREEN. If enough people decide to be funny heads and vote for a party that plainly isn't going to win: like the GREENS, then maybe the GREENS will win!
Laughing
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:32 am   Post subject: (No subject)

If you always vote for the winners, there's never going to be change. Stop being a sheep. My vote for the Green Party is dead serious. It's a protest vote, but I'm too tired to explain it right now.
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:42 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
If you always vote for the winners, there's never going to be change.

really? cuz the last time i checked, we're gona have a new prime minister in a week
codemage

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
It's about whether someone with a terminal illness and in great pain has the right to die rather than wait it out, should they choose.

The constitution won't let you discriminate on the basis of physically-determined traits, like health. I'm not sure if you could limit AS to terminally-ill patients.

Quote:
Finally, the doctors should have some say in it too.

Just like the religious-minister-gay-marriage clause. :p Doctor's shouldn't be forced to do something that contradicts their personal beliefs.

Quote:
And soon to be in canada too if the conrsitive win. VOTE DAM IT!

We already have private health care in Canada. There are private clinics in this city, as there are in most big cities. Like the one that Paul Martin currently uses for his family.

Quote:
If your dog or cat got sick and you were unable to treat it (for whatever reason), would you force it to live out its suffering on the off chance that they might be able to be cured (such as, you win the lottery and can afford to buy treatment for them)?

I have an approximate dollar value on my dog. If the amount of money that it would cost to keep it healthy & happy exceeds that amount, then it will be put down in good conscience. I think most families have a similar policy with family members (or for themselves) - just that the dollar amount is much, much higher. [/blatant cynicism]
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

codemage wrote:
Quote:
And soon to be in canada too if the conrsitive win. VOTE DAM IT!

We already have private health care in Canada. There are private clinics in this city, as there are in most big cities. Like the one that Paul Martin currently uses for his family.

Indeed. It's important to understand the facts on the subject before debating it. Private health care has a role to play. There is nothing wrong with being able to provide for your health above and beyond a minimum level of basic service. This kind of thing motivates people to be successful.

However, it's also important to maintain the safety net that universal provision of basic health care creates. The Conservatives in Canada are very much modelled after their counterparts in the U.S., and whether they say it or not, that means that one of their goals will likely be the dismantling of anything even remotely resembling public health care.

It's a short-sighted goal. Even though such an act would lower taxes in the short-term, those who could afford private health care would still pay for it in terms of other taxes as society dealt with the people unable to afford basic health insurance. The eventual cost would be higher than just paying for universal health care.

From what I've seen in B.C., I'm not sure the Liberals are any better on this issue. My vote would be for the NDP.
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i just find it interesting that the only reason the NDP's seems to provide as to why ppl should vote for them is that the liberals and the conservatives both suck.. they dont really provide any real reasons why they're better..
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Come to BC, Andy. In interviews the NDP candidates are the only ones who come across as educated, intelligent people with the intention to do something in office aside from building their own power base.

The Liberals here half the time can't be bothered to answer questions at all, and the Conservatives spend most of their time taking snarky personal potshots at their opponents, most of which demonstrate that they're dapper-looking older white gentlemen who couldn't string together a coherent english sentence if their lives depended on it.
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Andy wrote:
i just find it interesting that the only reason the NDP's seems to provide as to why ppl should vote for them is that the liberals and the conservatives suck.. they dont really provide any real reasons why they're better..

Aucatly they do, but just like the consertives if you do not looking in to them behond some dumb adds that all the partys are runing you get that concusion. Maybe try watching a debate?

Also i find it funny how my litte coment there is starting up a debate, lol. Also i did not mean to immpley that there is no private health care in canada, just that like martin was saying that ur hostpail bill in such a case whould be out of controal. In the u.s. there have been cases where peoleop could not get life saving care becomes of there health care system and teachly the u.s. is sposted to have some level of a free health care system. I realy do not whont to see that happen to us.

As for the green party, i whould also like them if it was not for the fact that some of the MPs (or whont to be MPs) are aucatly ex-consertives that just joined the party to take votes from the librals so the conerstives will win.

I realy whont to see proptoal repseration in this country becuase the system is set up so smaller partys do not even have a chance. Tho i also think that the more left wing parts should join in to one like the consertives did some time ago. If they did that they whould have a magority goverment no problem.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
Come to BC, Andy. In interviews the NDP candidates are the only ones who come across as educated, intelligent people with the intention to do something in office aside from building their own power base.

Sorry for double post but did not see this b4. This is also very ture in thunder bay and we may aucatly go NDP this election. Tho Thunder bay also has some more intresting partys, like the green and mariowan pary that have very active members. What worrys me about thess parys is that if they aucatly won i do not think they whould know what to do. You can not just have a pary that cares about one issue and only that issue.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Dan I saw the debate and Jack Layton made a fool of himself. Seriously. He never did answer a single question without bashing the Liberals.

On the other hand Stephen Harper came out with the most sensible answers.

Paul Martin was always trying to defend himself and his party, largely because of the NDP and Quebecois' bashing. At the same time he was bashing Conservatives. Man that debate was sooo stupid.
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

rizzix wrote:
Dan I saw the debate and Jack Layton made a fool of himself. Seriously. He never did answer a single question without bashing the Liberals.

On the other hand Stephen Harper came out with the most sensible answers.

Paul Martin was always trying to defend himself and his party, largely because of the NDP and Quebecois' bashing. At the same time he was bashing Conservatives. Man that debate was sooo stupid.

Well the debate was deftaly stupid due mostly to the questions they asked, tho i was not just refuring to the federal debate but to local ones as well. Also i think peoleops baises chage how they saw the debate. Hostly as i saw it all the partys where just bashing each other. I do love how the consertives run 1000s of atact adds, far more then any other party and then run an add saying how bad the librals are for runing atack adds. And then there is that one where it is like "paul marting uses private health care do not vote for him. Vote conerstive we will make every one use private health care Wink"
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hacker Dan wrote:
And then there is that one where it is like "paul marting uses private health care do not vote for him. Vote conerstive we will make every one use private health care Wink"

Yea all those adds are soo damn lame... They need a life.. Other than politics..

Either way the point of that ad was not to condemn "private health care", but to comment about Paul Martin's I-say-one-thing-but-I-do-the-opposite behavior.
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hacker Dan wrote:

Maybe try watching a debate?

i watched the debate both in english and in french, and all jack layton did was trying to prove to the audience that paul martin is a lying sob, and steven harper is too friendly with the right winged activists in the states.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 8  [ 115 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: