Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Operating System
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
mehdij23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:05 pm   Post subject: Operating System

Hello i was just wondering, Does C++ support at which you can create your own OS "operating system" with it and run it?
If not what language have the capabality to develop OS's?

Help me
Thank you
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yes, it would be possible to develop an operating system in C++. People have and continue to do so. I would say, however, that C is a more likely candidate still simply because it has simpler semantics than C++.
rizzix

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:06 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Java too was used to create a JavaOS. So really, any language. Although C is preferable.
md

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:11 am   Post subject: (No subject)

rizzix wrote:
Java too was used to create a JavaOS. So really, any language. Although C is preferable.

Doesn't JavaOS require another OS to run on the hardware? Or at least a JVM which allows complete access to the hardware? Otherwise I'm not exactly sure how it would work...
rizzix

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

One word: bootstrap. Wink It's like the JikesRVM a JVM that runs on Java. But to bootstrap something non-native, you obviously need something native. So yea there is a platform specific initial bootstrapper. But, after the bootstrap kicks in.. it quits and finally the OS takes over.
md

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cool! Perhaps I'll give it a shot in vmware Razz
rizzix

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It may not be a whole lot of fun (as in linux) and I'm not sure if JavaOS is being actively developed. Anyway I believe JNode is an active project, but I'm not sure if it's purely java. Either way it's worth checking out, i guess...

Also, I believe drivers have to be written in assembly (since it has to talk directly to the hardware). If JNode just uses assembly for it's drivers, but the rest is java, then its just as close as possible u can get to creating a pure java os.
md

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:27 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Interesting... It's on my list... after doing a test build of a linux server, and a test of minix.

Speaking of which, if you want to get to the heart of a operating system written in C, minix is what you want. It's small enough so you won't get totally lost, but modern and fast enough that you can actually use it. By use I mean run... as far as I know X has yet to be ported (though there is work), and unfortunately there is no paging support but that too is supposedly being worked on.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 8 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: