Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 TURING GAME CONTEST
Index -> Contests
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Token

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:09 pm   Post subject: TURING GAME CONTEST

Hey, i was wondering if a mod would be able to help me out with awarding bits to whoever wins this contest because i am bit-less lol so0o0o yahh i have something i would enter adn we could do it by poll, so0o yah if a mod would let me know that would be great thanks
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

PM me with details of how you want to set this up, I'll help you organize it.
Token

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Okay, i did, but i dont know if it worked, and if it did i may have sent more than one Rolling Eyes
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

nope, didn't get it.
jamonathin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:59 am   Post subject: (No subject)

There's a game contest going on??

**EDIT** sorry I just saw the new post sign beside it, and i clicked in, saw that the day was early in the month, and blah blah fart, oops. Doh!
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I say we go for it, except not restricted to Turing. I'm working on something awesome in C++ right now. Smile
zylum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

you can count me in Wink .. how about we make it a team contest! it would be faster if two or more people worked on it...
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

okay, i've tried several times in the past to organize "contests" like this at our very own compsci.ca, and believe me, it doesnt really work. I've spent hours putting together something, only to find zero or one submission besides my own.

A few issues:

1) low interest in the general public
2) compatibility issues with turing and non-turing
3) topic selection

so basically, unless you have an awsome idea (spill it out!! no need to keep a secret) you are probably wasting your time otherwise.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well, i am talking about contests in which submissions interact with each other. everyone doing a different projects is just no fun (everyone make a game and we'll see who's better? ehhh no)
jamonathin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:51 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, I say go with martin's idea. A game contest that's not restricted to turing. [not saying I know anything else].
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:12 am   Post subject: (No subject)

How would one judge such an abstract contest?

If you recall, we had some fun contests around here, but all had a specific requirement. Like "best wave animation" or "most impressive effect in 20 lines of code" (which we turned into games actually)
jamonathin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:05 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I was never around for any of the contests. [Even though i've been here for over a year, I only started posting 4 or so months ago]. I think those categories are pretty good. Like game wise, you can have
Best Program In: 20 and Under Lines
21 - 50 Lines
50 - 100 Lines
101 and Up.

I dont know how contests were run around here, and so whatever you've done before should be good if they had a good turn out. i just want to enter into one Smile . But definately, different categories would be a real good idea (animation, gameplay, length, etc. )
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:57 am   Post subject: (No subject)

jamonathin wrote:
I was never around for any of the contests. [Even though i've been here for over a year, I only started posting 4 or so months ago]. I think those categories are pretty good. Like game wise, you can have
Best Program In: 20 and Under Lines
21 - 50 Lines
50 - 100 Lines
101 and Up.

I dont know how contests were run around here, and so whatever you've done before should be good if they had a good turn out. i just want to enter into one Smile . But definately, different categories would be a real good idea (animation, gameplay, length, etc. )

There aren't enough people for that. I'd expect between 5 and 10 entries.
jamonathin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:33 am   Post subject: (No subject)

dayum really? wow, that suxorz! I thought there'd be more, especially because of turing.
Mazer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

My guess would be because most Turing users are interested in coming here for help on their assignments, or submitting their supah c00l programs and posting less-than-useful comments on other people's programs.
Besides, a game contest between just about any language and Turing would usually put the Turing-user at a disadvantage if not because of Turing's limitations, then because of the average level of experience of a Turing-user.

Not to say that you can't make some pretty neat games in Turing, just that you can't make really great games with it. Very Happy
   Index -> Contests
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 23 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: