Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Learning Java. Is there any compiler.
Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
aserghuil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:41 pm   Post subject: Learning Java. Is there any compiler.

I was wondering if java has any compiler program like turing. I am new to java and i want to self teach my self so if there is any way to get a compiler or any other way to practise java please tell me thanks.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You can find the compiler, and anything else you will need at java.sun.com.
person

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

If you have learnt turing before, I would suggest that you use something like eReady, this way the code you have writen will be organized in a somewhat familiar format while in a completely different language.

If you don't want to use eReady, I would suggest that you use Eclipse or Netbeans.
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yes, let's confuse learning the Java programming language with learning a particular environment for dealing with Java code.

Learn to use the command-line tools. They're simple and consistent.
person

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

If he starts off using something like NetBeans, he's likely to get pretty confused by how confusing the environment looks. NetBeans also has many functions that you really don't need if you're starting to learn the language.
aserghuil

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanks for the help i really really appericiate this.
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

person wrote:
If he starts off using something like NetBeans, he's likely to get pretty confused by how confusing the environment looks. NetBeans also has many functions that you really don't need if you're starting to learn the language.

I would say the hsa console would confuse him even more when he comes out of beginner stage of Java. Drop ready.
person

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
I would say the hsa console would confuse him even more when he comes out of beginner stage of Java. Drop ready.

no one said u had to use hsa.console if ur using ready
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Another issue with Ready, though is that that auto-formatting thingy formats code in a way that conflicts rather severely with accepted Java style.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
Another issue with Ready, though is that that auto-formatting thingy formats code in a way that conflicts rather severely with accepted Java style.

It does? in what ways? The only auto-formatting Ready even attempts at all is indentation. The only issue I could possibly see is the fact that Ready puts { and } on their own lines (which, btw, a lot of professional Java programmers do anyway). So what do you mean?
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hikaru79 wrote:
wtd wrote:

It does? in what ways? The only auto-formatting Ready even attempts at all is indentation. The only issue I could possibly see is the fact that Ready puts { and } on their own lines (which, btw, a lot of professional Java programmers do anyway). So what do you mean?

Spaces between parentheses and the method names they're attached to.

Also, doesn't it attach extraneous "// end method foo" comments?
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
Hikaru79 wrote:
wtd wrote:

Spaces between parentheses and the method names they're attached to.

Also, doesn't it attach extraneous "// end method foo" comments?

You mean like:
code:
public static void main (String [] args)
instead of
code:
public static void main(String [] args)
? Because to be honest, I prefer the first one anyway, and I've seen it everywhere. I think its largely a matter of taste, and anyway, its a small enough issue that its not like Ready is unbearable for it.
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Actually, it should be:

code:
public static void main(String[] args)

I find the version you prefer to be bordering on unreadable. Smile

Parens with a name butted right up against them are method calls. Any other parens exist solely to clarify otherwise ambiguous precedence.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Drat Sad I checked the Sun style guidelines ( http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConventions.doc5.html ) and they, of course, agree with you.

I hope I can break this habit. Sad
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The highly neglected RTP review Smile

Though I agree with Hikaru, that kind of formatting seems better to me, except for the extraneous "// end method foo" comments. The space after the method name makes it more readable.
   Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 19 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: