Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 OMG!!!!! a flash drive?
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Andy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:21 pm   Post subject: OMG!!!!! a flash drive?

i think i just jized my pants

now we could finally back up the internet Rolling Eyes
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
axej

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

4 terabytes Shocked ?
wow with 4gigs tranfer rate too.
expensive tho. better save up Wink
md

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

If it is real and the price drops to something half-way affordable that's awesome!

And axej your avatar is too big Wink
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

No way, this couldn't be real. First of all, what sort of genius businessman manages to build something that, frankly, revolutionizes the tech world, and decides: "Hey, it would be a good idea to put this in consumer electronics and pawn it off at a stupid trade show for insane amounts that no civilian would pay! That sounds great! I might even make $100k!"

No, he would go sell it to the government, or big corporations, or something like that. Secondly, the article says it runs Windows XP and Linux. Please explain to me how this guy got Windows XP running on what is supposedly a "quantum" computer. MS hardly has 64-bit processing working, let alone the technical monstrosity this guy claims to have built.

I'm not buying the story. Sad Too bad, it would've been neat.
md

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hikaru79 wrote:
No way, this couldn't be real. First of all, what sort of genius businessman manages to build something that, frankly, revolutionizes the tech world, and decides: "Hey, it would be a good idea to put this in consumer electronics and pawn it off at a stupid trade show for insane amounts that no civilian would pay! That sounds great! I might even make $100k!"

No, he would go sell it to the government, or big corporations, or something like that. Secondly, the article says it runs Windows XP and Linux. Please explain to me how this guy got Windows XP running on what is supposedly a "quantum" computer. MS hardly has 64-bit processing working, let alone the technical monstrosity this guy claims to have built.

I'm not buying the story. Sad Too bad, it would've been neat.

It's not a quantim computer, but a storage device. As such so long as it conforms to some standard interface (IDE, SATA, SCSI, etc.) it would be usable from any computer that supports that interface. 'Course no interface yet supports transfer speeds that fast... but that's besides the point.
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think Quantum is just a brand name. Stylish, though.
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hacker Dan's Invesgation:

I just did some looking in to this and so far some sings are point to it being a hoxa and others not. Besides the obvies problems with it and there comapy site looking like it being made by a grade 9 student who just learned html and phots that look like they where taken on a cell phone cam, there are some big pointers. Such as they clam to have won a ces tech award, when looking at the ces site they are not listed as an award winner and sreaching there site comes up with no reffreces to the comapy nor product, looking up the floor plans for the convention and lists of all exbitsers shows that they where never there. Looking at other awards on there site comes up up bad too and they nor the person who regiestered the site are not listed in the ones i checked. The domain name of there site is regestred to an idviadual rather then a comapy.

Now on the side sporting it's exitten; The site lists serveral patens that the company claims to have for it's product. So i decied to sreach the US paten data base and to my supries they are real pattens and are about there products and quatome computing aswell they are regestred to the person who regesitered the domain of the site with the same address infromation and name but again not to a comapny.

Affter seen that the pattens where real i started to look in to this person, and found that indeed there was an exbiotor at the CES under this name and was listed as the presdent of the compay in question. Oddly tho parts of the ces pages about the comapny and product where missing but they did list the products in question.

Now being very confisued as to wethere this is a hoxa or not i started looking deep in to this "Shimon Gendlin" and it seems that he is a real person and is making this claims but oddly no U.S. researches into magnetic memory or qutaom computing has ever heard of Shimon Gendlin, or Kappa Numerics, or the Israeli R&D house for whom he worked. Appreantly Dr. Gendlin claims that he could not talk about his wrok befor since the comapy "Kappa Numerics" who is on some of his pattens had an injuction from a cort stoping him from doing so. Kappa Numerics says that Gendlin is crazy and everything he is saying is lies and are planing to sue him. Also Gendlin claims that Kappa Numerics is aucatly a secrtive part of intell and there works goses directly to them. Tho of corse intel says they have never hured of Kappa Numerics or Gendlin.

Looking in to his background he dose indeed have the knogle to make somthing like this with phds in Nuclear phsyics and compsci. Tho they are from instutions that are not that relbibe in countrys where you could probly buy a degrea with enought money. Tho looking deeper in to his history there are some awards i have never hured of credited to him.

Concusions: If this is a hoxa it is one of the best ones i have seen put together and one with some of the most effort and money put in to it. But it also dose not seem true at all, from the crapy website, inasine claims, non seciecal patens and descriptons and missawards. If i had to make a guse i whould say this is all a big hoxa and i whould not be supriesed if it was funded by intel or another big comapny just to mess with there competors. But the truth maybe know soon since they seem to have a booth at the 2006 CES and maybe we will get a look?
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yea i've come across articles that claim this is a hoax as well.. =/ *shurgs*
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Geminias

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:39 am   Post subject: (No subject)

It's a hoax. Though this sort of thing is not far off, data storage using quantum mechanics relies on three subsets as opposed to two. And obviously no cpu, ram, motherboard, out there is capable of transporting\processing three opposable datastreams.

Also the idea of quantum computers is a little over a year old. Physicists just began theorizing about this sort of thing, and the first person to get their hands on it will be the Brittish government.
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:39 am   Post subject: (No subject)

This reminds of the "Super laptop" I say on digg. Oh wait, it's the same company

They supposdely won an award in 2005, and I found the awards page from 2005 with them listed, just as there site said, but there known there as Compu-Technics Inc. but on there "site" there known as Atom Chip Corporation. This has got me kinda confused, still don't beleive it's real though.

Let's just drop this subject, and call them liars
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:24 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Geminias wrote:
data storage using quantum mechanics relies on three subsets as opposed to two. And obviously no cpu, ram, motherboard, out there is capable of transporting\processing three opposable datastreams.

why couldnt they have simply implimented an emulation interface so it translates from the two streams to the three..

also, by quantum storage, it doesnt have to do any of that trinary stuff.. its simply storing data by examing the different state the subatomic particles are at, i dont see why everyone is so against this
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:12 am   Post subject: (No subject)

If its real then it would be really cool! But the price will b crazy too =/
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

about 17,000 ~ 20,000 usd for a laptop with it acording to there site......
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cornflake wrote:
It's not a quantim computer, but a storage device.

Actually, that exact same company is claiming to have a real quantum laptop. Not 'quantum' as in 'brand name' or 'laptop' as in 'external hard drive' ... they're claiming actual 6.8 GHz processur using "quantum-optical" technology. TheRegister has the story: http://www.theregister.com/2005/09/07/atom_chip_miracle_machine/
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Why is it that there are auido cables in the pics of the "OPTICAL" cpu?

Also if such techogly existsed the u.s. goverment whould go affter it so fast and cover it up so only they whould have it. Think about the impications, whith that techonly any one with conections or knowgle could budile a pc that whould be able to break any modern ercription scheams in a few days. In the case of the goverment it whould alow them to expand there modering and control of the net 10 fold at least.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 20 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: