Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 A way to get kids interested in programming, perhaps
Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:09 pm   Post subject: A way to get kids interested in programming, perhaps

http://weblogs.media.mit.edu/llk/scratch/index.html
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Looks cool, I can see it apealing to younger kids but after a little while I think it would get boring and they would either move to a more powerful language (good), or leave it for something else (probable). I do think it would get those who don't know about it interested though.
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think Flash is a great way to get kids into programming. Hella-expensive though, unless you get university discounts.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

how about logo
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:46 am   Post subject: (No subject)

bugzpodder wrote:
how about logo

Thats how I started to program. I remember the teacher teaching us logo/turtle movements in grade 2&3 (not in canada) Then I was interested in programming, so my dad taught me BASIC about 4 years later lol. Then I learned Turing in grade 9 and still in process of learning Java/C++ but it all started with logo.

As for flash, I wouldnt agree becasue it deals with actionscripts which is Java mostly and it could be confusing and if the subject is jsut animation, its not much of a programming.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:21 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin might be on to something there...

Personally I feel that kids need to see some visual result of their work as soon as possible to get hooked in.

When I was first taught Turing, my teacher started off with drawline and drawbox commands... seemed kind of silly at first, but when we got to for-loops the objective was "use a loop to move your drawing across the screen" rather than "display a list of numbers". Clearly a student who's starting out would be much more interested in seeing the former. I was.

With Flash you can draw detailed pictures right away. Animate them even. Introduction of the ActionScript is a tricky part, though when taught as a tool to extend the animation, it should certanly appeal to consept one would be more interested in -- seeing visual results. The basics are as simple as Movie.Play; and all of the syntax is listed on the side by categories.. one could just scroll down to find a command that makes sence.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

MysticVegeta wrote:
As for flash, I wouldnt agree becasue it deals with actionscripts which is Java mostly and it could be confusing and if the subject is jsut animation, its not much of a programming.

Actionscript is ECMAScript, which is another name for Javascript. Java != Javascript.
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Tony, I think Scratch has pretty much all of the stuff you mentioned there, and doesn't require dealing with, "why do I put a semi-colon there?" questions. Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
MysticVegeta wrote:

Actionscript is ECMAScript, which is another name for Javascript. Java != Javascript.

Isnt there a lot of resemblace between them though?
codemage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I started with logo too (and then basic).
The 'visualness' makes the structures of repetition really obvious.

I try to do a lot of graphics stuff when I teach. You can bait the kids to learn a lot of the drier theory and features of a language by sprinkling it with graphics - and it makes it far less boring to evaluate.
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

MysticVegeta wrote:
wtd wrote:
MysticVegeta wrote:

Isnt there a lot of resemblace between them though?

Not really, no.
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 11 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: