Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Optimus Keyboard
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
md

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:35 pm   Post subject: Optimus Keyboard

Previously mentioned I'm sure, but here it is again:
The Optimus Keyboard
To be released febuary Very Happy
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
cool dude

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

that looks pretty nice. it even has a firefox button on it! Smile do u have any idea about the price
chrispminis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Nice... looks cool, i saw another cool keyboard thats projected with a little lamp thing and you type on the projected keyboard Smile Only problem with this optimus is that the wasd keys aren't very good arrow keys any more, seems that okl; would be the better combo. Not a very big thing, just a lil annoyance perhaps for all you wasd gamers lol.
Mazer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:53 am   Post subject: (No subject)

chrispminis wrote:
Only problem with this optimus is that the wasd keys aren't very good arrow keys any more, seems that okl; would be the better combo. Not a very big thing, just a lil annoyance perhaps for all you wasd gamers lol.

What the hell are you talking about? Aside from the fact that 'wasd' is a very popular configuration, the whole idea of this keyboard is that it is configurable.
chrispminis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:07 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I mean that, if you look at the Quake set up, they decided to use the wasd placement of arrows. Its a very familiar spot for my hands but on the new keyboard they aren't very good arrows (I think you can only change button values not the button layout?). So I would probably end up using a different combination namely "okl;" which seems to make better arrows, but since thats a different spot for my hand it might be a bit awkward, plus with different placements for buttons near me, most of them now being to the left of my hand. Like I said its a small problem, a peeve at worse. Just criticizing anything cool anyone release is all lol.
md

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:03 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Sorry to disapoint, but WASD on the optimus is exactly the same as on my keyboard. Either way it's entirely changable so you could put it wherever you wanted.

According to some things I've read elsewhere expect the price to be between $200 and $300 US.
cool dude

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:43 am   Post subject: (No subject)

thats really expensive for a keyboard in my opinion. it is cool, but i don't think i would spend so much money on a keyboard. if it was $100 U.S. i would prolly buy it because it looks awsome, but $200 or $300 US is too expensive. wats the max u would pay for a keyboard?
md

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:44 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I'd pay $150 for a keyboard normally, but I might consider shelling out more for this. 'Course I don't have the money anyways... but it's always nice to have a wish list Razz
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:41 am   Post subject: (No subject)

how about a better keyboard layout dvorak:
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/layout.html

a typical user can type 120-150wpm with this setting compared to average of 60-80wpm on a qwerty keyboard. fastest times on a dvorak keyboard is 220wpm
brenn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I use Dvorak. And no, I'm not any faster with it than with QWERTY yet... But I've been only using the former for less than a month.
axej

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i find qwerty better, but its probably cause im used to qwerty.
about the kewyboard, it looks nice but those saitek eclipse keyboards have caught my eye and they look a whole lot better IMO
1of42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Of course Dvorak is faster - qwerty was originally designed to purposefully slow down typing - it was designed for mechanical typewriters which would lock up if people typed on them too fast. This is why common letters are all over the keyboard, making more movement necessary, and thus slowing down typing.

On the other hand, it's the standard now, so it probably won't change - I know personally wouldn't switch, because I don't think that typing that fast would be useful, and it definitely isn't worth the hassle of having to reconfigure all the programs that assume qwerty settings.
rizzix

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ooh a mac keyboard.. or.. ehm.. well it has the Command (four leaf clover) sign and the Option sign.. but do the signs change when i connect it to a PC?

Like would I get a windows sign and the "Alt" sign.
md

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The bebate between querty and dorvak is pointless, studies have show both to be equally fast in most cases. Also would people please check their facts before saying things. Querty was designed to keep the type writer from jamming, while still allowing you to type fast.
rizzix

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yea and i'd like to mention that some "programing languages" were designed with the qwerty keyboard in mind, thus making the whole process of writing code a lot easier for qwerty programmers.

Also, most chat acronyms are pretty hard to write on a dvorak keyboard.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 25 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: