Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Syntax or library
Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Given a choice between a feature that's part of thre syntax of a language, and one that's part of the library, which would you choose?
(No ending time set)
Syntax
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
Library
66%
 66%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 12

wtd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:49 pm   Post subject: Syntax or library

See poll.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well I believe the language should be as mininalistic as possible. The library on the other hand should be powerful and well documented.
md

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I like powerful libraries, so long as they are well documented. A powerful library combined with fairly simple and powerful syntax would be best.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Library, but the language should be flexible enough to incorporate the library nicely (such as +, <, <=> methods in Ruby look like operators), or flexible enough to not require an enormous library.
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

That's why I like C++ Smile
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, I wasn't actually asking this as a "how would you do it in your ideal language" question, but rather as "faced with the choice in some existing language, are you more likely to use syntactic sugar, or the library?
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Libraries still. I think it keeps things more organized.
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You know me. Library > syntax sugar.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:24 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Ok. Just wanted to rephrase, since we don't all have the luxury of designing the languages we use. Wink

How does this mesh with syntactic sugar that simply calls library functions/procedures/methods/subroutines?

For instance, in Ruby, defining the "each" method, then using "for ... in ... end".
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: