Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Defend Your Castle
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
TheOneTrueGod

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:43 pm   Post subject: Defend Your Castle

Allright, this is a program that i've been working on for quite a while now. Its basically defend your castle, the game where you take little stick people and throw them in the air. I've entirely remade that game from scratch, with my own ideas thrown in, and this is what you see now.

Controls are basic, mousedown to pick up someone, mouseup to let go of them, and they follow trajectory of the mouse. Spells, once you have purchased them, are "A" for frost nova, "S" for lightning, "D" for fireball, and "F" for elemental orb. The enemies upgrade themselves after every level, and eventually new types of enemies will appear. I'll let you figure out what each one does, though most are pretty obvious.

Space bar opens up build / recruit menu, no hotkey for repair yet, and "K" will allow you to enter the castle in Mode 1.

******NOTE****** there are two gametypes available. And thus two files included. Mode 0 is normal, Mode 1 is hero defend. Try em both, they're both fun.

In hero defend, WASD moves, ZXCV are the spells, left click is sword, right click is arrows.

Autosave at end of level, if you want to try and edit your save file, go ahead, but I threw in some minor encryption.

That basically covers it, hope you like it. I'm still working on it, so feedback would be greatly appreciated.

LineCount: 2651 Very Happy

**EDIT** Allright, heres a zip of it as well.

To hire troops, you need to get a town (upper left) and from that, population spawns. One town can support two population, two can support four, etc.. to a max of fifty. The regen rate of population increases, however.

Also, to make the castle look perty, take a picture, name it "DaBox.jpg" and put it in the same folder as the .exe. Make sure the picture is 200X200. I have a picture, but for some reason it stopped working on my home PC, so I never bothered to include it.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
cool dude

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i really wanna see it sounds interesting. can u please attach it as a zip or something. otherwise just email it to me please.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Very nice game, especially seeing how it was done without the knowledge of many functions in Turing. Some suggestions:

-The velocity that you throw the guys at is way too high, and therefore too easy.
-The first level lasts too long.
-Use Font.Draw for the text in the buttons, and some other text in the game.
-Try making the overall graphics, especially the castle a bit better or more solid looking.
-You shouldn't be able to pick a guy up once he is already falling down.
-Sometimes the invaders disappear in the grass when you release him before the mouse leaves the green area.
-I couldn't figure out how to 'recruit' guys as knights/archers/anything, in the original you drop guys into the castle once you get the ability, but that didn't work.

It brings back memories of long school days spent getting to level 60+ in the real game... Smile

*edit* Oh, and this should be in the Turing Applications forum, since you only include the two executables, not the source code.
DIIST

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

cool dude wrote:
i really wanna see it sounds interesting. can u please attach it as a zip or something. otherwise just email it to me please.

Same here! I want to see it too. It sounds interesting. But i dont have RAR, only zip. Could you possible edit the file? Confused
TheOneTrueGod

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:44 pm   Post subject: Wrong board, sorry.

Crap, wrong board, sorry. I'll create a thread in the application file with a decent response and the .zip attachment. Thanks for feedback, i'll do what I can to work on those.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:57 am   Post subject: (No subject)

No no... Just wait for a moderator or admin to move the topic for you.

I'm curious to everyone who doesn't have winRar, why don't you get it? The compression is a lot more flexible and you will be able to extract all files. It can't be that hard to simply install... Confused

Good luck on improving your program!
Cervantes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:10 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Moved.

Guys, just get winRAR! http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Not bad, TheOneTrueGod, but it definitely needs some polishing. I'd love to see better animation for the invaders, especially when you pick them up. Wink
chrispminis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Very Fun. Very Addicting. Could use some polishing and graphics, maybe a bit more user friendly but, otherwise excellent. Becomes desperately challenging later on. lol.

EDIT : Gotten to lvl 43 so far.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

So anyone figured out how to actually get guys to defend your castle? I bought an archer building thing, but I don't know how to get archers Surprised.
TheOneTrueGod

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:34 am   Post subject: Recruitment

I edited the top thingy(Assuming i remembered to hit the submit button), but i'll re-write it here. To get people, all you gotta do is buy at least one town. Towns generate population at a rate that is dependant on the number of towns you have. The max population is 2*NumTowns, max at 50(population).

The game gets rediculously easy after roughly level 150, i'm currently working on a way to balance that out, but each time I do, it makes the game rediculously harder earlier on. If you find something that seems really unbalanced later on, please let me know.

Also, theres a surprise waiting for you at level 1000+.

Oh, in the hero defend mode, please don't abuse the multishot. I know its rediculously cheap, and i'm working on weakening it by either making arrow damage cost more, or by reducing the number of multiple shots.

If no ones figured out how to do the multishot yet, i'll leave it as a surprise. (Its not a button on the keyboard, you have to buy something from the menu. Its pretty obvious if you think about it.[Buy four of it to do anything])
chrispminis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't know if it's just me but... the Hero mode is not working for me. It seems to be exactly the same as the other mode. The controls you listed above do nothing, I don't even see an avatar to control and without a source i can't see if its something wrong with the program or not. Chances are you didnt actually post the Hero one, and just put in two castle modes, unless im wrong.
TheOneTrueGod

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:31 am   Post subject: Hero Mode

I downloaded each of the files from the website, and the hero mode thing is there. What it is, is as follows: The game plays as normal until an enemy reaches the castle. Once he hits the castle, he enters it, and you cannot dislodge him until you enter the castle after him. Once 50 enemies are in the castle, you are auto forced into the castle. If there is more than one enemy in the castle, you can enter it at any time by pressing "K". So you just gotta give it a chance, and it should be fine. One way to tell is above the repair button, there should be an "enter castle" thingy. I don't believe thats in the normal mode.
chrispminis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Alright, I got it. I thought that you used your hero outside of the castle, and I didnt play Hero Mode to the point where they actually got to my castle, so I didn't realize. Also, the enter castle is also in Mode 0, it just doesn't do anything. Also I got a 200 x 200 pixel picture and put in it DaBox.jpg but it didn't work. This is a pretty complex game, you should make a read me to make it more user friendly. Also, when you say multi shot how do you upgrade it? atm i can only shoot 2 and cant upgrade it. Also does the last column do anything? like burning oil, mines, necromancers, and wrath of the gods? Cuz so far it does nothing. Also magic is very ineffective. I also think mana regen should be much faster.
Also two bugs. The multi shot is delayed, and when you fight as the hero you are immortal until the battle sequence ends. I waited until they killed me, but i didnt die, so i killed them all, and then i got a game over. Also hero mode is incredibly easy compared to the castle mode. otherwise good game, im wondering could you give me the source code? im interested, i wont steal anything. If you don't want to post it here then e-mail it to me at chrispminis@gmail.com

EDIT : another bug, you don't save the sword damage in hero mode?!
TheOneTrueGod

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:05 pm   Post subject: Yarr.

Hmm, seems there are more bugs than I thought, allright, now i've got something to do in computer science class Very Happy.

I have a suspicion for the picture thing. I'm using turing 4.0.1c at home, and 4.5(i think) at school. At school, pic.screenload works, so i'm assuming this version doesn't support it. On the right, BurningOil causes enemies to take damage when they attack the castle (non hero mode only, and no graphics for you to see it, sorry), mines randomly spawns mines that takes off half the enemies HP (considering changing this, as its kind of unbalanced). Levels increase range. Necromancers; every 100 kills, a number of knights, based on necromancers, are spawned. Wrath of god causes your throws to deal splash damage, and slightly knock back nearby enemies (you probably won't notice it until about level 10).

All of them are outside the castle only, though burning oil may damage them as they enter the castle... can't remember if i programmed that or not Razz. Anyways, i'll send the code to you, because its a boatload of lines, and I don't think admins will be happy w/ that much. Mages were much too good later on with faster mana regen, so I had to reduce them earlier as well. The multishot delay thing is a reloading time. Its to simulate the avatar reloading his bow or w/e. Increasing levels in speed will reduce that delay. To increase multishot, increase catapaults. Every four levels of catapaults equals an extra shot.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback guys, i'll work on it, and post a new version eventually.

(A big favour to me would be: if anyone feels like drawing some stick figures for outside the castle, It would be a great help. preferably draw them no bigger than 30X30 pixels, and keep in mind that this game uses circular collision, so yah...)
imasickhacker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

[Gandalf] wrote:
Very nice game, especially seeing how it was done without the knowledge of many functions in Turing. Some suggestions:

It brings back memories of long school days spent getting to level 60+ in the real game... Smile

ya its an amazing game for turing and its very addictive
and i got up to level 250+ Razz
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 15 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: