Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Sync folders OSX
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:10 am   Post subject: Sync folders OSX

On Windows or Linux if you copy two folders with the same name on top of each other, files that are in both folders are replaced (or not depending on your choice), and the resulting folder then contains everything else in either folder.

In OSX, the first folder is deleted and replaced with the second. Is there any way to do this the Linux/Windows way?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:29 am   Post subject: (No subject)

rsync is first to come to mind Thinking perhaps AppleScript a folder action to call that? Wink
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, I've just been using the terminal. What a dumb design flaw on Apple's part...man.
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Did ya stop to consider that they may have have reasons for what they do? Seriously, just because something is done one way by the majority, doesn't necessarily mean doing it the other way isn't a good idea. It's just different.

I mean, if you're going to judge it by how closely it approximates Windows or Linux with your desktop environment of choice, then you'd be better off just staying there.
Naveg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
Did ya stop to consider that they may have have reasons for what they do? Seriously, just because something is done one way by the majority, doesn't necessarily mean doing it the other way isn't a good idea. It's just different.

I mean, if you're going to judge it by how closely it approximates Windows or Linux with your desktop environment of choice, then you'd be better off just staying there.

Yes, but in this case, what is the point of not syncing the folders? Clearly the user is making some form of update to their files, perhaps adding some new ones. Why replace the old folder and delete the files not included in the new one? You're right that in some cases the way of the majority isn't the best way, but typically the majority will lean towards what works best. Now, if Apple doesn't intend to cater to the majority, then that's just fine, they can serve their elite few with the different way.
Martin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:38 am   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:

Sure. There's tons that OSX does differently that I love but, but this seems absolutely retarded. On Windows and Linux you can merge two folders AND replace a folder with near equal ease.
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:52 am   Post subject: (No subject)

http://daringfireball.net/2005/04/replace
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: