Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 C#?
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Unisyst

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:54 am   Post subject: C#?

Perhaps you should add C# to your forums.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:11 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Just post in the C/C++ section, I don't think there is enough about it to create a new forum...

Maybe we should change the name of C/C++ to C/C++/C# or something like that?
Unisyst

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:48 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Personally I think it'd be a good. Up to the admins.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I nominate wtd for moderator. Smile Also, anyone good at Java like rizzix would do, although I'm not sure if he's had experience with C#.
Unisyst

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Personally, I love C#. Even though I havent had much 'play-time' with it.
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

C# is pretty cool.

If you want to ask questions, go into either the C/C++ or General Programming forum and ask your questions. Make the title something like:

C# - Help with Arrays
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

C# is nifty, at least compared to other "mainstream" languages (Java, C, C++). Properties, delegates, namespaces... they're nifty features.

C# 3.0 has some other nifty stuff in store.

It's the only way to go if you're developing purely for Windows. Less good an option if you're doing cross-platform work.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You should post in [General Programming] and prefix topics with the language name, so as Martin said:

C# - something nifty

If there will be enough interest generated, a new forum area will be created and all topics moved. Until then - [General Programming]
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Naveg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:43 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Tony loves the new linking to forums feature Very Happy
rizzix

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Barrrhumbug!
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

rizzix wrote:
Barrrhumbug!

I sense a disturbance in the force. What's got you grumpy? The syntax highlighting thing, or the intrusion of (and subsequent relatively warm reception of) a blatant Java clone?
rizzix

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the latter... of course!
rizzix

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

code:
Language java = Language.getInstance();
Language lang = java.clone();
lang.getName(); //"C#"
lang.destroy(); //"does not compute"

Language newJava = java.refine();
newJava.compileCode(" System.out.println:\"Hello World\" "); //"compiler not found.."

code:
var newJava = Language.new;
var csharp = Language.newInstanceOf:"Java" $ clone;
newJava.pwn: csharp; // "can't.. no compiler yet"

Barrhumbug!
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, keep in mind that I did specify that's it's ideal for Windows development. That includes a lot of programming, but there's a whole lot of other programming that's cross-platform.

And C# really does have some neat stuff. Properties make code a lot neater than having "getProperty()" and "setProperty(SomeType value)" methods. Neat code is easier to comprehend.

Delegates are a concept that sort of compete with Java's anonymous inner classes, and in the end, for an experienced programmer one's preference is mostly subjective, but they do require less mental overhead in my estimation and the power of that can't be denied in making a language popular (perhaps more than it should be).

Looking forward to C# 2.0 and 3.0 there are anonymous delegates (crude anonymous functions), and then in 3.0 this is improved to give us syntactically friendly lambda functions. There are comprehensions for collections. The syntax for them sucks, but at least the idea is there. This cannot be said for all mainstream OO languages with C-ish syntax.

C# has a reason for being, and eventually it will likely have a place here. Whether this will come at the expense of Java is yet to be seen, but I'd say that right now it seems that Microsoft is hungrier for victory than Sun (Sun doesn't see things in terms of "victory"), and that doesn't bode well for Java in the long run.
rizzix

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well... Sun did win over the opensource world to Java.. They have little to worry about.. Besides Java's greatest enemy isin't C#! No way. It's all those Ruby fanatics.. (In no way am I implying you are one, btw).

Unfortunately those Ruby devs don't seem to understand that the Java dev's prefer statically typed programming languages.. Hence the new java Wink And then again some of the philosophies differ, which is largely due to the fact that one is dynamic while the other static.. but it really is something that is very difficult to change. Which is why Java will always be Java. (whether you change its syntax or not)
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 20 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: