Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Agents' visit Chills UMass Dartmouth senior
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:29 pm   Post subject: Agents' visit Chills UMass Dartmouth senior

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/daily/12-05/12-17-05/a09lo650.htm

Crazy world we live in.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
TheFerret

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Figures that its the US defense that visited...
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The United States Department of Homeland Security: diligently protecting Americans from academic curiosity.
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:15 am   Post subject: (No subject)

As they say "Knowledge is Power". That much power in the hands of a mere student! That could be devastating. I'm glad I can rest assured, the United States of America is diligently protecting the world, from such catastrophes for yet another day. Phew.
md

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:03 am   Post subject: (No subject)

One of my old history teachers got questioned by CSIS for using the red book in one of his classes... 'course it was during the cold war...
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:18 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Cornflake wrote:
One of my old history teachers got questioned by CSIS for using the red book in one of his classes... 'course it was during the cold war...

CSIS is a joke now a days, hell they do recurting at my univierity.

I whonder if lakehead libraay has a copy of that book..........*starts filling out request fourm with tony's name*

Sercuresly tho, i blive the act that gives them the power to do that also states that they can carge any members of the press for reporting on it or any peoleop invalied with it for talking about it. And if i rember right from civics class i bilve one of the things that made a conuntry demcratic was freedom of the press and peoleop to read and extress what ever books/topics they like. If the U.S. keeps pushing they will soon become the very thing they are trying to fight.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
1of42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:55 am   Post subject: (No subject)

The U.S. was never a democracy though Dan... always a Republic.
Boo-chan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:15 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Factually you are correct, republics are not democracies. However, there is no true democratic countries that I know of today since the term is ment to imply that the citizens are the ones that make all the decisions; the term has now come to represent a system in which the assembly that runs the country is elected by the citizens. And yes, the US is about as close to a democracy as you can get in an imperfect world.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
1of42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, Canada is closer than the US, still Razz
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

1of42 wrote:
Well, Canada is closer than the US, still Razz

Canada has a monarch Queen.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Boo-chan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I would have to take issue with that for several reasons. First, Canada is still technically governed by the queen through the governor general and although most of what the governor general does is merely a formality, legally the governor general can decide which party forms a government and dissolve a government whenever wanted. Second, all bills passed by the government must be passed by the senate, which consists of members appointed for life. Third, although all of Canada is supposedly governed by the Constitution it was never signed by Quebec rasing interesting legal isssues there. Fourth, the members of parliment are elected based on ridings, which bear only a lip service to the point of representation based on population. Fifth, voting along party lines has become almost institutionalised in Canada, removing most of the purpose of electing a member of parliment to represent the views of his/her riding.

US probably has issues with its democracy as well, but as a Canadian I am more informed/concerned with the shortfallings concerning democracy that exist in my country. As they say "Let he is without sin cast the first stone" and since Canada has its faults too, maybe we should fix up our own country before criticizing others.
md

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

At least Canada isn't using Diebold electronic voting systems... There has been some questions raised as to if they might have been rigged for bush in the last election...
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Some question? Hmmm.... that question might have been raised by a Diebold head honcho saying something along the lines of, "we're going to deliver this election for Mr. Bush."
md

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
Some question? Hmmm.... that question might have been raised by a Diebold head honcho saying something along the lines of, "we're going to deliver this election for Mr. Bush."

It could also have something to do with diebold repeatedly claiming that their machines were "hacker proof", when there have been numerous scientific tests that show that they are actually rather easy to hack.
Boo-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=510754

Its rather weird the things that some people will make up, and slightly disturbing how readily people are to believe things that confirm their beliefs.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 17 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: