Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Java IDEs and Editors
Index -> Java
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Which is the best IDE in your opinion?
(No ending time set)
Eclipse
39%
 39%  [ 57 ]
Borland JBuilder
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
Netbeans
20%
 20%  [ 30 ]
SunOne Studio
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
JCreator
20%
 20%  [ 29 ]
XCode
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
IntelliJ
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Dr Java
5%
 5%  [ 8 ]
Jedit
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Blue J
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
JDeveloper
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
WebSphere
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 143

rizzix

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 5:28 pm   Post subject: Java IDEs and Editors

Editors...
* Jedit (Java Based)
* Jext (Java Based)
* BBEdit (MacOSX native)
* SubEthaEdit (MacOSX native)
* TextWrangler (MacOSX native)

IDEs...
* Borland JBuilder (Java Based) [always bundled with JDK]
* Sun One Studio 4 (Java Based) [not bundled with JDK]
* netbeans (Java Based) [not bundled with JDK]
* Eclipse (Java Based) [not bundled with JDK]
* XCode (MacOSX native)
* JCreator (windows native)
* JDeveloper (Java Based) [optionally bundled with JDK]
* WebSphere (Java Based)
* DrJava (Java Based) [not bundled with JDK]
* BlueJ (Java Based) [not bundled with JDK]
* Intellij IDEA (Java Based) [not bundled with JDK]

** all IDEs can be set to work with a different JDK. (including a manually installed JDK)
** some IDE's can be configured to work with multiple JDKs
** for those IDEs not bundled with a JDK u need to download one form Sun's Jave Website
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rizzix

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Eclipse is a huge project started of by IBM or something like that. Basically it's supposed to be the Best IDE ever.

well it still rather new. so don't expect much. but it looks better that the others.

PS: i use eclipse all the time!! its the best IMHO.
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

JDeveloper by Oracle is another great Java IDE used by companies.

u can get the developer version for free i think. but u need to sign up first.

you might also want to check out the demos

PS: this IDE is directed towards J2EE development

EDIT: i did a little test with this IDE.. really cool .. if u want to run this IDE do install the "complete version" specially if ur jdk is > or < the one it requires. (it won't replace ur current jdk but simply install it side-by-side with ur current one)
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

IBM's WebShpere is based on eclipse. It really completes the Eclipse project adding numerous features specifically directed towards J2EE development. But i don't think it's free. Maybe there is a developer version available, but I'm only guessing.

PS: also use by companies..
(u see there is no standard IDE)

EDIT: i did some research here.. and found out that it is not for free.. but u can try out the trial version(s) for a limited time period.
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

SubEthaEdit is a concept made real: collaborative editing. It's a Cocoa editor for MacOSX, and supports syntax highlighting for a number of languages.

Quote:

...The idea of collaborative editing has been researched for years, with notable results. But now for the first time it has been implemented in a way you actually want to use: A sophisiticated technique allows all users to type anywhere in the text without locking parts of the text for other users, making SubEthaEdit just as easy to use as a traditional text editor.
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

DrJava is an opensource IDE designed for simplicity. It is primarily designed for beginners but has good enough features for development as well. There is also a DrJava Eclipse plugin available that provides a DrJava perspective in eclipse (a more simple interface). A great choice for beginners to intermediate experience developers.

EDIT: Good choice for learning java but not such a good choice for serious development
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Netbeans is an opensource IDE. It is the base on which SunOne is built. SunOne is basically an extension to netbeans. Thus if your looking into an opensource alternate to SunOne, this IDE is the one for you.
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

BlueJ is a project at Deakin University, Australia, the Mærsk Institute, University of Southern Denmark and the University of Kent in Canterbury, UK. It is designed for learning Java.

Quote:

The BlueJ environment was developed as part of a university research project about teaching object-orientation to beginners. The system is being developed and maintained by a joint research group at Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia, the Mærsk Institute at the University of Southern Denmark, and the University of Kent in Canterbury, UK. The project is supported by Sun Microsystems.

The aim of BlueJ is to provide an easy-to-use teaching environment for the Java language that facilitates the teaching of Java to first year students. Special emphasis has been placed on visualisation and interaction techniques to create a highly interactive environment that encourages experimentation...

EDIT: i recommend it if your interesting in learning java using UML diagrams.. in any case JDeveloper also has support of UML diagrams. This is not such a good choice for serious development
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Intellij's IDEA is another great feature-full IDE with good looks.

You can try it for free for 30 days, after that if you still want to use it you'll have to buy it. It is worth the price.

But IDE's like eclipse which are free provide almost everything these IDE do. So i wouldn't recommend buying it.
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i got eclipse... i got both sdk and ide from sun.com...
but for some reason it doesn't run on my comp... any suggestions?
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:59 am   Post subject: (No subject)

what are the errors you get? try editing ur CLASSPATH env variable
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

programming with a partner? try programming the same file together at the same time.. beside the mac dudes out there i'm quite sure none of u have ever experiecen this style of programming.

i've got good news, well at least for eclipse programmers. Yes it is possible!
go ahead and download sangam: http://sangam.sourceforge.net/ a plugin for eclipse.

instuctions on how to install this plugin are available on the website it self.

enjoy Wink
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

rizzix wrote:
programming with a partner? try programming the same file together at the same time.. beside the mac dudes out there i'm quite sure none of u have ever experiecen this style of programming.

:sigh: It'd be even better if they hadn't taken the name "Hydra" away from us.
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:22 am   Post subject: (No subject)

rizzix - you ever done pair programming yourself?
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
rizzix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

no, not yet.
   Index -> Java
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 36 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: