Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 rRootage for PSP
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:18 am   Post subject: rRootage for PSP

Works with 1.0 and 1.5 firmware. Unconfirmed for 2.0

http://pspupdates.qj.net/2005/12/rrootage-v13-for-psp-released.html

It seems really strange that Sony is trying so hard to stop people from making software for the PSP. In Sony's position, I'd definitely encourage it. Hell, they could release an IDE like Flash for it and encourage people to make games (and also support an actual programming language for it). That would definitely sell a lot of PSP's.

But no. Sony sure is a strange company...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:23 am   Post subject: (No subject)

They make too much money extorting money from game companies to consider an open development environment.
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:34 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I can see that, but the thing is - they're actively working against it too.

I can appretiate them not running out to release an IDE, but I don't understand why they'd try to stop other people from making PSP apps.

It's not like open source or freeware applications are going to hurt game sales. The vast majority of people buy the PSP to play games, and, however fun, I don't think that rRootage stands up to commercial products. If anything, it'd be the programmer's dream - "Hey, look what I made."
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It's the very idea of losing absolute control over the platform. It terrifies Sony.

Honestly I've thought for a long time that there's a niche in the gaming market waiting to be exploited. A console that's easy to develop for, with a non-existent financial barrier to entry, where small games could sell in an iTunes Music Store-ish environment without having to go through the hassle of being released in boxed form.

The Xbox 360's marketplace may be the first step towards something like that.
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

That is a good idea. It's why I like what Valve's Steam is becoming. On demand video gaming is the way of the future.

That said, it would be cool for a 3rd party company to make a development environment for the PSP. Something visual so that non-programmers could get into it, and also something with actual code for the real code monkeys. That, or Sony should just sell personal versions of the PSP SDK with the clause that you can't sell the software you make.
md

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
That is a good idea. It's why I like what Valve's Steam is becoming. On demand video gaming is the way of the future.

That said, it would be cool for a 3rd party company to make a development environment for the PSP. Something visual so that non-programmers could get into it, and also something with actual code for the real code monkeys. That, or Sony should just sell personal versions of the PSP SDK with the clause that you can't sell the software you make.

Sony helping consumers get more value for their money?! I'm shocked martin!
1of42

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:

Say anything positive about Steam again and I will behead you.

Steam is absolutely the worst program ever coded. Buggy, useless, and terrible, in a nutshell.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm with stupid

I am curious, though, what is it that they are becoming/doing that you find good? I haven't heard anything special...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_Anti-Cheat
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Why, what's wrong with Steam?

There were some release day problems with Half-Life 2, and on the day of a new release the servers can get kind of bogged down with everyone downloading stuff, but otherwise, I've never had any problems with it...
rdrake

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

When it takes over an hour to decrypt files before you can even play your game, it's just ridiculous. That is one of the many problems with Steam.
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I also have had no problems with Steam.

cartoon_shark wrote:
When it takes over an hour to decrypt files before you can even play your game, it's just ridiculous. That is one of the many problems with Steam.

They encrpyted the files for a reason, and it's not like you have to do it ever time you want to play a game
Martin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:45 am   Post subject: (No subject)

cartoon_shark wrote:

Still less time than it'd take you to go to the store, buy the game, come home and install it.
1of42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It's bad. The problem with Steam isn't that it's there, the problem with it is that it is your only choice with Valve games. The system is so incredibly buggy it's ridiculous: most features don't work fully, some don't work at all (friends list anyone?). VAC2 is a joke, it catchs nothing.

The worst of it is, because latest patches are automatically updated to, when Valve f*cks up (which happens A LOT), it spreads quickly. This was evident in the 3 month long period where demos wouldn't last longer than 9 minutes, which basically brought all copmetitive play in games based on the Source engine to a stop.

Steam sucks. 'nuff said.
Albrecd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:

I'm on a Dial-Up connection that usually connets at about 38.4 Kbps. (My Phone Line is Crap and High-Speed is not available in my area, Bell needs some competition so that they will FIX something once in a while) It usually takes about Half an Hour to download a song (that would probably be a 3 minute song with no other internet activities or applications running). I would be more than happy if it took anywhere NEAR that amount of time to decrypt a game!
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 17 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: