Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Computer Science / Computer Media combined Summative Project
Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Naveg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:22 pm   Post subject: Computer Science / Computer Media combined Summative Project

Currently I am taking both the grade 11 computer science course, and interdisciplinary studies, which is basically computer media (image manipulation, web design, video editting, etc...).

Both of these courses require final products at the end of the year. The CS final product is to be a database driven application, while the media summative can be a project using any of the areas studied in class. After some thought, I decided it would be a good idea to combine the two, and make a web-based application. The application itself would constitute the CS summative, while the web frontend would be my final product for media. Both teachers have approved this idea.

Now, I would like to hear any feedback anyone has, including what I will need to know/learn (application will be written in Java), feasibility, and ideas for an actual application. Keep in mind this is still very much in the brainstorming/proposal stage. The thing won't be due until June, but I like to start things early. I could change my mind any moment Razz
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

If you can convince your CS teacher PHP would be a much better language to use for the back end then Java. Other then that it seems like a great idea.
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I would seriously suggest you reconsider creating a web-based application. Maintaining state within a web-based app is so much more difficult than a standalone app.

Unless of course you're talking about an applet, and that's rife with issues as well.
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:24 am   Post subject: (No subject)

You could do it with JSP and/or JSF.
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:16 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Cornflake wrote:
If you can convince your CS teacher PHP would be a much better language to use for the back end then Java. Other then that it seems like a great idea.
I disagree. Java is much better than PHP for the backend web development.

JSP does everything PHP can do and more. The only drawback is that, it isn't so easy to learn.
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: